What's The Low Down On Pledge

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Tom and Jesse

This furniture polishing and dust spray plays a big part in my wife's staple of goods for house cleaning. Lately however I've been reading that Pledge could have some long term deleterious effects on wood. Is this notion fact or fiction.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Our housekeeper is a heavy pledge user and this has lead to some interesting disagreements. Personally, I hate the stuff as the film that builds up seems to attract more dust, but lately I've noticed that the surface of the wood that it's used on has changed.

For instance, our night stands are wood veneer stained in a dark brown (almost black) and when they were new (about a year ago) they had a nice semi-matte / satin finish. After a year of pledging they have taken a semi-gloss sheen and the surface has almost looks like melamine now.

I was always a proponent of lemon oil (used sparingly) and am starting to get concerned that several of our pieces of furniture have been ruined through the use of pledge. I look forward to other responses and hope that someone can add some info on how to undo some of the after-effects of pledge use.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good afternoon to the both of you. This is actually a great question and one in which many folks could learn a thing or two about. While I do know some things about this topic [not to use it], I will let our esteemed expert Jesse provide the juice on this one. He has probably forgotten more about the effects of Pledge and other furniture products than I will ever come to know.

Tom

jvrestore

Apr 28, 2013
Hi everyone.

Lately however I've been reading that Pledge could have some long term deleterious effects on wood. Is this notion fact or fiction.

Pledge, which contains silicone, will not harm or otherwise damage wood or clear coats. However, it does present real problems if you ever need to have touch up repairs or refinishing done to the item. Silicone creates a very slick surface tension, which repels any product applied over it. A professional will always check for silicone contamination and will have methods for dealing with it. For example, when I have a piece that I am refinishing and I know it has been contaminated I add silicone to the new clear coat. By doing so, the surface tensions are now equal allowing the new clear coat to flow out smoothly. If I didn't add silicone the new clear coat would fish eye (looks like small craters) and I'd have to start over again. Personally, I think it is nasty stuff having no useful purpose and would love to see Pledge removed from the market.

Personally, I hate the stuff as the film that builds up seems to attract more dust, but lately I've noticed that the surface of the wood that it's used on has changed.

For instance, our night stands are wood veneer stained in a dark brown (almost black) and when they were new (about a year ago) they had a nice semi-matte / satin finish. After a year of pledging they have taken a semi-gloss sheen and the surface has almost looks like melamine now.

It will also leave a blotchy appearance and when handled, will leave smudge marks. The good news for you is that the effect can be reversed by removing the silicone contamination with a wax and silicone remover wash. However, it's a powerful solvent and not something I recommend using in your home. You can have a professional do it or if you want to try it yourself, do it in an open garage with a fan drawing the air away from you. You'll also want to wear heavy duty latex gloves and be sure you're not near any open flames or anything that will spark.

Another method is to simply have the housekeeper stop applying Pledge, which I highly recommend regardless. Have them switch to Guardsman furniture polish. It is a water based product that will never build up or present any of the issues associated with most of the polishes on the market today. This method will not restore the original sheen because the silicone contamination will still be present, but with time it will help remove that melamine look.

Let me state at this point that furniture polishes are not needed, period. One of the purposes of a clear coat finish is to prevent anything from reaching the wood and a cured finish cannot be "helped" by any polishing product. In addition, there isn't a polish or any other product that will feed or moisturize the wood. In fact, you do not want to add moisture to the wood. Furniture grade lumber has a moisture content of 6 to 8 percent, which is considered dry wood. If you were to actually add moisture the solid wood or wood veneer would likely warp and crack.

The only reason to use a polish is for dusting and that can be done with a damp soft cotton cloth to remove the dust followed by a dry soft cotton cloth to remove any remaining water, which is what I do to my own furniture. If one feels they have to use a furniture polish, the only product I will recommend is Guardsman.

I was always a proponent of lemon oil (used sparingly)

You may be interested to know that "lemon oil" contains zero lemon oil. It is basically mineral oil with a lemon scent added. I cannot recommend its use.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Believe it or not, SWIFFER is a great duster.

It really is good for dusting.

For surface treatment we use Guardsman sometimes, which is about every other month.

I hate Pledge. It makes surfaces sticky.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi everyone.

Pledge, which contains silicone, will not harm or otherwise damage wood or clear coats. However, it does present real problems if you ever need to have touch up repairs or refinishing done to the item. Silicone creates a very slick surface tension, which repels any product applied over it. A professional will always check for silicone contamination and will have methods for dealing with it. For example, when I have a piece that I am refinishing and I know it has been contaminated I add silicone to the new clear coat. By doing so, the surface tensions are now equal allowing the new clear coat to flow out smoothly. If I didn't add silicone the new clear coat would fish eye (looks like small craters) and I'd have to start over again. Personally, I think it is nasty stuff having no useful purpose and would love to see Pledge removed from the market.

It will also leave a blotchy appearance and when handled, will leave smudge marks. The good news for you is that the effect can be reversed by removing the silicone contamination with a wax and silicone remover wash. However, it's a powerful solvent and not something I recommend using in your home. You can have a professional do it or if you want to try it yourself, do it in an open garage with a fan drawing the air away from you. You'll also want to wear heavy duty latex gloves and be sure you're not near any open flames or anything that will spark.

Another method is to simply have the housekeeper stop applying Pledge, which I highly recommend regardless. Have them switch to Guardsman furniture polish. It is a water based product that will never build up or present any of the issues associated with most of the polishes on the market today. This method will not restore the original sheen because the silicone contamination will still be present, but with time it will help remove that melamine look.

Let me state at this point that furniture polishes are not needed, period. One of the purposes of a clear coat finish is to prevent anything from reaching the wood and a cured finish cannot be "helped" by any polishing product. In addition, there isn't a polish or any other product that will feed or moisturize the wood. In fact, you do not want to add moisture to the wood. Furniture grade lumber has a moisture content of 6 to 8 percent, which is considered dry wood. If you were to actually add moisture the solid wood or wood veneer would likely warp and crack.

The only reason to use a polish is for dusting and that can be done with a damp soft cotton cloth to remove the dust followed by a dry soft cotton cloth to remove any remaining water, which is what I do to my own furniture. If one feels they have to use a furniture polish, the only product I will recommend is Guardsman.

You may be interested to know that "lemon oil" contains zero lemon oil. It is basically mineral oil with a lemon scent added. I cannot recommend its use.

Jesse

Thanks and welcome to WBF

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Hmm. We've used Pledge for the last forty years or so with no discernable problems. No build up, no wood discoloration, nothing, nada.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Is 'orange oil' also mineral oil with orange scent added?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Is 'orange oil' also mineral oil with orange scent added?

This DEFINITELY will vary from brand to brand.

Dental orange oil/orange solvent is made from a mixture of terpene hydrocarbons and is NOT mineral oil with orange scent. I am sure what you might get in a store will vary considerably.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing