Tube rolling with my Zanden 3000 preamp

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL, The Mullard was a bit beter, especially in the bass, compared to the Amperex I originally had.

The Mullards arrived...so far so amazing...1950's 6CA4 and 6X4s...from Brent Jessee with his copper/Teflon cooling tubes since they run hot in my system.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Great LL, there is something that is just right about this tube.. As you say, Congrats!

Seasons greetings too..

Paul.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Mullards arrived...so far so amazing...1950's 6CA4 and 6X4s...from Brent Jessee with his copper/Teflon cooling tubes since they run hot in my system.

Great LL, there is something that is just right about this tube.. As you say, Congrats!

Seasons greetings too..

Paul.

Same to you! And yes, when a tube/piece is inserted into a system, and you immediately stop focusing on this bit or that...because it just sounds RIGHT, that is always a nice experience. I often wondered about Mullards being too warm, etc. fortunately, in a power supply I think that element matters a bit less...they just provide lots of power and oomf to allow the DAC not to come up short on dynamics (macro and micro) and in keeping complex passages together with more control of individual instruments (so in essence more control/detail without blurring)...and in the CJ GAT which is not as sensitive to tube rolling, they are just dead quiet with virtually no hiss...I need to stand within 3-6 inches with my ear actually turned to the tweeter...and I've got 26db gain in pre, 31db gain in the amp and 95db sensitive speakers...so I honestly consider myself fortunate indeed!

Other than the Amperex 7308 in the DAC itself, I'm now officially all-Mullard for the first time. That said, I am waiting for Myles' thoughts on the EAT 6922s...since I know he also likes the Teles 6922 which are supposedly great. ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Same to you! And yes, when a tube/piece is inserted into a system, and you immediately stop focusing on this bit or that...because it just sounds RIGHT, that is always a nice experience. I often wondered about Mullards being too warm, etc. fortunately, in a power supply I think that element matters a bit less...they just provide lots of power and oomf to allow the DAC not to come up short on dynamics (macro and micro) and in keeping complex passages together with more control of individual instruments (so in essence more control/detail without blurring)...and in the CJ GAT which is not as sensitive to tube rolling, they are just dead quiet with virtually no hiss...I need to stand within 3-6 inches with my ear actually turned to the tweeter...and I've got 26db gain in pre, 31db gain in the amp and 95db sensitive speakers...so I honestly consider myself fortunate indeed!

Other than the Amperex 7308 in the DAC itself, I'm now officially all-Mullard for the first time. That said, I am waiting for Myles' thoughts on the EAT 6922s...since I know he also likes the Teles 6922 which are supposedly great. ;)
And I'm still waiting for them :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have just had my custom made preamp and my Jadis DPMC upgraded, I am about to listen to the results this same weekend, I agree that tube rolling is not just a great path to fine tune any given system but a lot of fun as well!

I think that the part I quoted in bold is really important and one of the reasons of this hobby, but should made us think. IMHO tube rolling is part of fine tuning a system - I could control the sound of my VTL 750s changing the input between Siemens, Telefunken or a Mullard ECC81's, but this change will most of the time result in improvements in some zones and losses in other parameters. But every time I read a too immediate and enthusiastic description referring only fantastic improvements and no compromises I immediately think - they really were having too much fun! ;)

IMHO some circuit topologies are much more sensitive to tube rolling than others - this could also explain different appraisals of tube rolling effects between users.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
may be time to switch these wonderful Mullards 6CA4s...i just looked back at this thread and was pleased to find my records were correct...Dec 2013 was the last time i changed them. I was expecting them to last longer, but in the last 10 days, i keep feeling like dynamics is coming up a bit short, lack of oomf.

Has anyone found their 6CA4 and 6X4 going for only 18 months? I always was under the impression they go a lot longer.

The GAT and Zanden DAC itself both were retubed within the last several months. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, its been a week since i rolled the replacement 6CA4 and 6X4...and now back to magic. The oomf is back...i suppose my putting mass damping on top of the PSU has shortened the life of the tubes by decreasing heat dissipation...which i suspected it might. Oh well...still, that's the price of magic. 18 months instead of 3 years of tube life...magic is priceless, for everything else...;)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Well, its been a week since i rolled the replacement 6CA4 and 6X4...and now back to magic. The oomf is back...i suppose my putting mass damping on top of the PSU has shortened the life of the tubes by decreasing heat dissipation...which i suspected it might. Oh well...still, that's the price of magic. 18 months instead of 3 years of tube life...magic is priceless, for everything else...;)

All drugs have side effects?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All drugs have side effects?

Yes, and if the side effect is needing to call Brent Jessee every 18 months instead of 36, i am happy to live with that! :)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
So am a Zandenista now !!! After living 3 months with the Zanden 3000 pre , it's fair to say that I have a handle on it's character . Fed from the Stahl Tek Transport / DAC combo , it drives my Vitus SS101 mk2 which powers the Marten Coltrane 2 . .

This is a shockingly transparent tube pre , actually make that shockingly transparent ... Period . I have compared it in house to the Wavac PRT 1 , Trinity pre and the Vitus MP-L 201 . While it cannot match the tomb like quietness of the mentioned SS pre amps , it is as colorless a pass thru of the signal as I have experienced . I fully concur with Mark Mickelson's review , where he likens its sonic character to it being characterless like water .

None of that tubey mid centric sound here . This being a result of Yamada San's simplistic purist circuit having just one gain stage possibly . It does benefit from voicing , the midrange with the stock supplied tubes is lean and rather devoid of color saturation . Rolling them does help re address the balance , infusing more tonal density .

Voicing 1) the ever reliable Brent Jesse who recommended the 1950's Mullard 6CA4 rectifier and the RCA bronze plate 5687 , along with tube dampener rings . A definite must over the supplied stock set . 2) Further have sandwiched the 3000 , isolated below on Stillpoints SS and dampend above in the form of a HRX DPX plate . ( A big shout out for the HRX DPX , there isn't enough discussed about them around these parts ) . 3) Powering it is a Stage 3 Kraken , along with the obligatory in my case grounding from Entreq and Tripoint .

Where I differ from Mickelson's review is the bass , which he terms as self effacing. Pimped as mentioned above , this is no shrinking violet . Dynamically and texturally alive with deep propulsive bass on tap . I have heard of Zanden having this special spatial prowess , and so it does . Given a good recoding , it is capable of painting huge vistas with good depth .

Demanding of set up and partnering equipment , this to me is one to cherish . I have its partner in crime the 9600 monos , which I have delayed hooking up . So that I could be better versed with the attributes of the 3000 .

More to come ...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Congrats thats a nice pre amp , i would hook up those 9600 s right away :D one of the most dynamic/ transparent power amps i know off ......( on the right speakercombination off course) , very nice amp combo

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Congrats thats a nice pre amp , i would hook up those 9600 s right away :D

Hi, I take it you have a soft spot for the Zanden . I understand the 9600 are more generous of tone , compared to the 3000 . Wow that's heartening , will do at the earliest . 89dB , 8 ohm load with a benign impedance curve , 100 watts should cover it . Thanks

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes i heard the 3000 on a number of occasions connected to the 9500 / 9600 or octave jubilee poweramps , owned the zanden 7000 /300 B for a couple of years sold it because a bit lack of power for the speakers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So am a Zandenista now !!! After living 3 months with the Zanden 3000 pre , it's fair to say that I have a handle on it's character . Fed from the Stahl Tek Transport / DAC combo , it drives my Vitus SS101 mk2 which powers the Marten Coltrane 2 . .

This is a shockingly transparent tube pre , actually make that shockingly transparent ... Period . I have compared it in house to the Wavac PRT 1 , Trinity pre and the Vitus MP-L 201 . While it cannot match the tomb like quietness of the mentioned SS pre amps , it is as colorless a pass thru of the signal as I have experienced . I fully concur with Mark Mickelson's review , where he likens its sonic character to it being characterless like water .

None of that tubey mid centric sound here . This being a result of Yamada San's simplistic purist circuit having just one gain stage possibly . It does benefit from voicing , the midrange with the stock supplied tubes is lean and rather devoid of color saturation . Rolling them does help re address the balance , infusing more tonal density .

Voicing 1) the ever reliable Brent Jesse who recommended the 1950's Mullard 6CA4 rectifier and the RCA bronze plate 5687 , along with tube dampener rings . A definite must over the supplied stock set . 2) Further have sandwiched the 3000 , isolated below on Stillpoints SS and dampend above in the form of a HRX DPX plate . ( A big shout out for the HRX DPX , there isn't enough discussed about them around these parts ) . 3) Powering it is a Stage 3 Kraken , along with the obligatory in my case grounding from Entreq and Tripoint .

Where I differ from Mickelson's review is the bass , which he terms as self effacing. Pimped as mentioned above , this is no shrinking violet . Dynamically and texturally alive with deep propulsive bass on tap . I have heard of Zanden having this special spatial prowess , and so it does . Given a good recoding , it is capable of painting huge vistas with good depth .

Demanding of set up and partnering equipment , this to me is one to cherish . I have its partner in crime the 9600 monos , which I have delayed hooking up . So that I could be better versed with the attributes of the 3000 .

More to come ...

Big congrats!!! Look forward to reading more! And yes, totally agree on how you have set up your isolation, at least in respect of how i have set up my own Zanden PSU and DAC. Totally agree on the benefits it had all around, in particular bass.

Look forward to hearing your views on the 9600...

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Glad to hear that you like the Zanden 3000 linestage so much. I am sure that combining it with its partner poweramps will make you smile even more.

As I mailed earlier to you the Zanden equipment does something special to my ears: it creates a beautiful soundstage with lots of air between the various instruments, it is musical sounding without obscuring details although they are presented in a less forcefull way compared to many 'highendisch' sounding equipment - so it is very subtle - and most importantly it is sounding very humane.

Through its equipment you learn that mister Yamada has - indeed - famously good ears (if you search on the internet you will find some stunning examples of this) and really knows how unumplified music sounds.

So in short: enjoy this fine Zanden combo!

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Big congrats!!! Look forward to reading more! And yes, totally agree on how you have set up your isolation, at least in respect of how i have set up my own Zanden PSU and DAC. Totally agree on the benefits it had all around, in particular bass.

Look forward to hearing your views on the 9600...

LL ..... Your notes on priming the Zanden were of help , so must thank you for doing the spade work . It does indeed respond with alacrity to the isolation sandwich and tube rolling , providing a truer stronger delivery . Am toying with the idea of trying the Furutech NCF inlet on the PSU , it originally has the stock Furutech installed . There will be no solder involved in the mod , more like a crimp and screw on . Probably at a later date , when there's nothing much on the agenda to do :D . Keep you posted once I put in the 9600 .

Glad to hear that you like the Zanden 3000 linestage so much. I am sure that combining it with its partner poweramps will make you smile even more.

As I mailed earlier to you the Zanden equipment does something special to my ears: it creates a beautiful soundstage with lots of air between the various instruments, it is musical sounding without obscuring details although they are presented in a less forcefull way compared to many 'highendisch' sounding equipment - so it is very subtle - and most importantly it is sounding very humane.

Through its equipment you learn that mister Yamada has - indeed - famously good ears (if you search on the internet you will find some stunning examples of this) and really knows how unumplified music sounds.

So in short: enjoy this fine Zanden combo!

Hi AC , I did remember you words , when I first experienced it's spatial prowess, it does have this grandeur with carving out images in space . Not at the expense of skeletal images though , a combination of Tube rolling , Isolation sandwich and grounding help it provide a solid image fill . Are you still running your 3000 with the stock tubes , a little rolling might delight you . Indeed , have read that Yamada San was a sound engineer at many a live event and he bases his vision of sound , using those cues .Thanks for your good wishes, Cheers !

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But how good the zanden is in its own ways , ever listened to " top of the line " convergent on your speakers???

* for example ultimate mk 2, Jl 2 sign KT 120 or better

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heard the zanden phono is one of the best too

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing