DSD ADCs

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Bruce,

Just wanted to know what's out on the market which do both 64fs and 128fs better than onboard ADCs. Lots of DACs but haven't really seen stand alone ADCs. I'd really be interested to learn which ones you like and why. This is purely for home/personal use in tandem with a Korg or Tascam.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm on an iPhone so this will be brief.
The best sounding ADC hands down is my Grimm AD1
I also use the DAD AX24 and EMM Labs ADC8IV just for a different flavor. All only do DSD64fs.
The only one that will do higher is the Horus. But right now, there is no software that will record it.
I'll write later when I get to a computer.

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
The only one that will do higher is the Horus. But right now, there is no software that will record it.

New news! Pyramix Bata 8.1.2 to be released today, with DSD record and play including 64fs, 128fs, and 256fs. I've been using it for several weeks now as DAC play only, and I'm very impressed with the instrument trueness of sound, and spaciousness, all of 64fs session files. Michael Bishop recorded a group in Mechanics Hall in Worcester MA a few weeks ago with a Horus at 256fs DSD, and all present were pleased with the results.

I'm with Channel Classics' Jared Sacks today in Leiden, The Netherlands, at a recording session of the Amsterdam Sinfonietta using a Grimm AD1. The strings with this ADC sound just like the analog mic mix. The complex harmonics with just the correct bite of being in the hall with them.

Sound Affair

Sep 10, 2012
New news! Pyramix Bata 8.1.2 to be released today, with DSD record and play including 64fs, 128fs, and 256fs. I've been using it for several weeks now as DAC play only, and I'm very impressed with the instrument trueness of sound, and spaciousness, all of 64fs session files. Michael Bishop recorded a group in Mechanics Hall in Worcester MA a few weeks ago with a Horus at 256fs DSD, and all present were pleased with the results.

I'm with Channel Classics' Jared Sacks today in Leiden, The Netherlands, at a recording session of the Amsterdam Sinfonietta using a Grimm AD1. The strings with this ADC sound just like the analog mic mix. The complex harmonics with just the correct bite of being in the hall with them.

I wonder whether DSD 256fs will put the sample rate debate to bed hopefully it is indistinguishable from analog ie tape. Pyramix 8 is also exciting it will allow capturing DSD 128fs using the DAD AX24 and the EMM labs ADC8 IV, this should help push these formats into the mainstream?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Jack, I'm curious what you plan to use the ADC for?

-Deepak

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a lot of LPs that never made it to CD and many whose CD counterparts I am not thrilled about. I'd like to be able to listen to this music in our vacation homes. The TechDAS DAC is a small unit that I can bring along with my laptop. Very convenient :)

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I have a lot of LPs that never made it to CD and many whose CD counterparts I am not thrilled about. I'd like to be able to listen to this music in our vacation homes. The TechDAS DAC is a small unit that I can bring along with my laptop. Very convenient :)

Great we're on the same page :) I didn't want to hijack your thread, I have been looking for an ADC to archive some of my vinyl collection and was looking for advice from Bruce and others.

Are you concerned about a DSD ADC making it difficult to do editing like removing noise, tics, etc?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No not really. I can live with the occasional tick and pop :)

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
I wonder whether DSD 256fs will put the sample rate debate to bed hopefully it is indistinguishable from analog ie tape. Pyramix 8 is also exciting it will allow capturing DSD 128fs using the DAD AX24 and the EMM labs ADC8 IV, this should help push these formats into the mainstream?

It’s actually much more about the quality of the DSD ADC than its sampling rate. The quality of the ADC affects the linearity and resolution of the record side of the process, where the sampling rate affects the playback side. The rising noise above 20KHz can affect downstream components, causing non-linearity’s and instability, all affecting sound quality.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Jack,

Have you tried one of the Korg units, like the MR-2000S? After hearing one in action, I had to have one :D
The DSDx2 transfers are mighty impressive, and with an AF One onboard, you'll have lots of fun digitising your LPs :)
It's also a good comparison tool for your analog gear, since you can record the same track on different setups (tonearms/carts/phono pres) and then listen to the differences carefully.
Of course, it's not absolutely cutting edge stuff, but for home use it's more than adequare, IMO.

alexandre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Alexandre,

No I haven't. I gathered though that it is no longer in production. I'd need it to be 230v because I don't want to have to rely on a step down transformer. If I can't find one in 230v, I guess it looks like I'll be going with the Tascam since the company is represented here. Problem is I'm not a big fan of Tascam's onboard ADCs having owned an X-9 Pro and a CDR-2000 in the past.

I never really needle dropped before but since I will have at least 3 carts on rotation, yeah, that would be a cool thing to do. :)

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Problem is I'm not a big fan of Tascam's onboard ADCs having owned an X-9 Pro and a CDR-2000 in the past.

Well the best thing about the Tascam that the Korg doesn't have is SDIF-3 in/out. That's what I'm going to be using with the Grimm AD1

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Have you compared both the Tascam and the Korg, for SQ differences? Which one has the better ADC?

alexandre

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Well the best thing about the Tascam that the Korg doesn't have is SDIF-3 in/out. That's what I'm going to be using with the Grimm AD1

Bruce would you say DSD is the way to go for playing back on a MSB DACIV, or would high-res PCM be better?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Bruce would you say DSD is the way to go for playing back on a MSB DACIV, or would high-res PCM be better?

I'm not Bruce :D But with the Korg, DSD recordings came out considerably more realistic than the equivalent 24/192, given the same (LP) source, played back on the MSB Diamond IV DAC.

alexandre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I felt hi-rez PCM sounded better on the MSB (ie: 352.8 and 384kHz)

I was always lousy at hex math Bruce. What's the storage requirement per minute at 384k if you don't mind?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gonna need some big sd cards.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing