Beet juice side effects???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I ran into an infomercial while flipping channels and saw this guy selling a juicer. In there he juiced a beet. I had never thought of juicing one. So I bought three small ones and juiced one. I drank it (plain) and it tasted so fresh and good. So I juiced the other two and it made maybe quarter of a glass. I drank that and immediately, and I mean immediately my throat felt scratchy. Before I could figure out what was going on there, I started to have some nausea. I sat down and put my feet up thinking this is my old symptoms coming back (I get that once in a while). Then I remembered the guy in the infomercial making a side comment about not having too much beet juice (unlike me, he mixed it with other fruit juice). Did a quick google and saw that what I felt was actually side effects of beet juice and that one can even (temporarirly) parralize the vocal cords with it! Had no idea there could be such negative consequences.

I believe the issue is Oxalic acid or some such thing? What exactly is the cause here?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You mean you just have it plain with ginger?

Speaking of ginger, I popped one of those right away and that dealt with the nausea. Apparently what I experienced does not happen with everyone.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Fortunately my wife is no nag. If she were............ :)

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Call me a traditionalist, but if it goes in a juicer, there should be vodka in there somewhere. :D

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
As far as I am aware, these are the potential side effects of beetroot:

- beeturia. Your urine turns beet red. This is from secretion of the beetroot dye.

- Nitrates. Nitrates lower blood pressure. The concentration of nitrates in beetroot is fairly low, you would have to consume quite a bit to have a noticable effect.

- Potassium. Potassium can be dangerous if taken in quantity (it causes heart rhythm abnormalities), but in low concentration it has the effect of exchanging itself for Sodium in the kidney (specifically the distal convoluted tubule), thus having a mild diuretic effect and blood pressure lowering properties.

- Diarrhoea and flatulence. From the long chain polysaccharides that you can not digest - but some of the bugs in your gut can. This is what produces the flatulence.

- Allergic reactions. Beetroot reactions are rare, but can happen.

That's all I know of off the top of my head.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You mean you just have it plain with ginger?

Speaking of ginger, I popped one of those right away and that dealt with the nausea. Apparently what I experienced does not happen with everyone.

No

what I meant is that when I use my juicer, in addition to all the fruit and vegetables that I add, I always also use a beet to add sweetness and ginger for a little extra

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Our standard juice is:
-one red beet
-3/4 celery stalks
-3-4 carrots
-one apple
-a handful of kale

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing