Artisan Fidelity "Achates Idler Drive" Turntable

lapaix

Apr 27, 2012
I have seen many Artisan Fidelity turntable ads on Audiogon, but have no idea how evaluate them. Does anyone have any experience with their Achates Idler drive TT? They are quite beautiful, but how do they perform? And, what about their other modifications of vintage direct drive turntables?

I have an old Platine Verdier for which I have made a new plinth, a constrained layer system of two pieces of 6160-T aluminum separated by a 1/16" layer of lead. On top of that, fused by a high quality adhesive is a 1.5" slab of granite. The plinth is sitting Stillpoint ultras. Overall that plinth is much quieter than the original synthetic granite plinth with its rather unappealing spring suspension. Any opinions, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

By the way the tone arm is a Talea II, The cartridge anOrtofon A90. This is certainly not a bad combination, but I think a turntable at a level to complement the Talea/A90 would be an improvement.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
I have one and i have been really happy with mine. I have the Talea II as well as the Ortofon A90 on mine and will be installing a Reed 3p with a Soundsmith Hyperion cartridge soon. The fit and finish is outstanding on mine. Once i get my other arm on it, i will post some pictures of it.

Lakeview Audio

May 15, 2013
Disclaimer: I am an audio Dealer. That said I am intimately familiar with the Achates Idler Drive. Artisan Fidelity Achates was used as the main source component in my system at the 2011 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. I have also been fortunate to spend a significant amount of time with the Achates in a private setting. While the table is labeled a "vintage" turntable, I can tell you it is anything but. Those seeking a blast from the past should probably look elsewhere. This is essentially a ground up design, that uses the geometry(this statement may not be entirely accurate as he may have changed things with this reference interpretation), and motor of a vintage Lenco turntable. That is ALL that remains of the original design. Initially, it is impossible to ignore the tremendous detail to the overall aesthetic design and impeccable fit and finish. I would say that these are the Wilson equivalent finish wise in the form of a turntable. Thankfully, there is much, much more to the Achates than a pretty face. Bearing, Platter, Plinth are all proprietary and lend themselves to a truly reference experience that is more than the sum of its parts. To me this is the very definition of state of the art, something that transcends its seemingly "simple" design. There is a tremendous sense of power, and seemingly unearthly authority that only an idler drive can provide. But what sets these apart is that all of this "drive" and "music" do not come at the expense of subtlety and nuance. It is all there and then some. Air and space take on a life size presentation, that ironically adds an organic and "earthly" character which is quite intoxicating. I have heard many of the allegedly great turntables, and quite frankly I would challenge anyone to find an even marginally better table. Consider its price in relation to the performance and to me it is a no brainer.

P.S. Worldcat. I would love to hear your impressions. What have you found in your interpretation of the table?

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Like being there at the show!:D Big sound, foot tapping, draws you in, lots of energy, bass, great table for the money. Stop playing games and get one!:eek: fit and finish is high-end all the way. When i get my other arm mounted on it i will post some pictures of it.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Well Guys i still haven't mounted the tone arm on my table. Sorry for the delay of the pictures. Maybe Chris Thornton could post some photo's until i can get mine up. I think he still has some on his website of mine.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
IMG_9875-1300-web-logo-2.jpg

Lin, Here you go...

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
This is my table. There are two differences, one i cannot take a picture like that and two i have the Reed 3P that i will be mounting on it instead of the Telos. Yes it sounds as good as it looks which matters most.:cool:

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Beautiful table! I'd love to hear that rig with a Telos/Talea. Are they going to RMAF?

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Chris will have to answer those questions for you. He has a black one he just finished he sent me some pictures of; maybe he will post them on here. When i saw them i dropped my coffee it was that gorgous:). He offers lots of different arms too. I have been real pleased with everything on my table. I don't want to sound like a salesman but i have been 100% satisfied with my purchase. The questions on being at the show and price you could chat (talk) with Chris about that.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Achates list price $9895. Several variations/options to choose from.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
IMG_1173-1300-web2-logo.jpg

Lin, Porsche Basalt Black was the finish.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
IMG_1553-1300-web.jpg IMG_1363-1200-web.jpg IMG_1364-1200-web.jpg IMG_1338-1200-web.jpg IMG_1160-1300-web.jpg

A few more.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
That's about as sexy as it gets...drool..

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
There is nobody out there doing the quality of work or have the fit and finish of what Chris is doing now on rebuilds.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
great price as well. I assume that is w/o arm?

So.. how does it sound? Anyone compared it to any TT under $15k?

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
It has a very big sound, great bass, lots of energy, very musical (drive) gets your foot tapping. I had a Basis 2500 before this table made it sound broken. It sounds like an idler drive if your familiar with that kinda sound.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
No, I'm not familiar. I've only owned direct and belt. How does an "idler drive" sound? Is this indicative of all idler drives?

I thought the "big sound' came from the cart/arm?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing