Tube monoblocks or solid state amplification

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hello there to all enjoying your music!

Now I have a slight dilemma, and need your valuable advice.

Over the last weekend and into these few days of the week, I managed to acquire tube monoblocks from c-j, and the 300 watt stereo ss McIntosh MC301. (these were given on loan for a trial period at home). All were driven with the c-j ACT2 as the front end and source was the MCD301, speakers were the Quad ESL 2905 reference series.

I did try the MC301 before and found it to be a bit dry compared to my great MV60SE. However, this time after several days of running in, the sound is incredible driving the Quads and with the control of the ACT2. This level of performance I did not expect. Also the LP125 monoblocks were as good, though not in the registers of deep bass compared to the MC301. This is obviously due to a much warmer sound with tubes. I could not replace the stock 6550's with KT120's since I don't have 8 KT120 spares on hand. So most of the listening was done with just the 6550's.

After all this, when I re-connect the MV60SE back into the system, everything seems to fall into place with just the perfect balance, and nothing comes close to it in terms of musicality and that full sound from the KT120's.

I think I should be aiming at something that has KT120's in it since I am now so used to this rich fuller sound. Even c-j themselves claim this enhanced performance level with KT120's. The ideal set up of course would be to see how the LP125 monoblocks performs with KT120's.

So here is my question; with the system described above, and most of my music tastes is in JAZZ, especially female vocals, and small Jazz ensembles, plus R&B; which amps should I go for? 120 watt tube monoblocks (having the ability to change the tubes to KT120 only after purchase) or the MC301?

My dealer-buddy for c-j does have 8 KT120's for the LP125 monoblocks, but will not replace the 6550's unless the amps were purchased, fair enough...
Well this is a proven change over since my MV60SE blossomed with the KT120's, then again there's always that doubt... and that MC301 sound bloody fantastic!

Any suggestions or advice is warmly welcome;
Cheers, RJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: junerpp

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
KT120s

RJ,
Buy, borrow, etc. KT120s.
There is no way to "guess" the sound without the tubes you want in the amp.
Best to you,
zz

Joe D

Dec 20, 2012
Halfmoon NY
K120's more dimensional.... wider band sound..especially nice in your range..go for it...i did with CAT JL 3 monos and am very happy

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks for the advice guys,

Yes, as someone mentioned you can't go wrong with the KT120's. Apart from that I have tried it too on my mv60se, and it sounds wonderful! Way better than the 6550c tubes, so I guess this should be a good venture. No way possible to borrow or try out KT120 tubes as I would require 8 of these, four per monoblock.

Borrowing two (just the pair) would be ok, but four pairs... not here in Melbourne.

I have considered to put this decision on hold for a while, since I am still contemplating about the MC302 power amp. Will be revising my decision again sometime soon towards end of year.
Until then cheers to all and enjoy your music!

Later, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing