www.flickr.com
I would love to hangout and spin records with him.:cool:
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/weir_grateful_to_have_mcintosh_gear/C157

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I would love to hangout and spin records with him.:cool:
QUOTE]

Man does he look wasted or is that just an aftereffect of the '70s :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Grateful Dead used stacks of Macintosh amplifiers with their "Wall of Sound', which had to be duplicated because it needed so much time to be constructed, they had to set one "Wall of Sound" up in the next venue when the Dead were playing with the twin setup at the current venue.
Maybe he has been a fan ever since, or these are just "leftovers."
Presumably, the "Wall of Sound" gave stadium performances the clarity of a high quality home stereo system. It just became too expensive to maintain it indefinitely, so they only used the "Wall of Sound" for a period of time. Can any of you "Deadheads" out there vouch for the sound quality?

Jimna

Jul 8, 2010
Denver CO
www.flickr.com
I am to young to say first hand, but I have a few books on the wall, in that period it was the greatest concert experience on the road. This is outlined well in a GD gear book I have, some argue that Pink Floyd was the better concert experience, but they always say its because of the theatrics that PF brought to the stage during tours like Animals and DSOTM, the GD brought nothing but a mind blowing jazzed-out audio experience like no other. Audiophiles who also were concert goers swore that the dead tour of '73-'74 was buy far the best sounding concerts of the era, and I think the drugs made up for the lack of theatrics.

Jimna

Jul 8, 2010
Denver CO
www.flickr.com
PS. About a yr after Jerry died and they began the real down sizing of GD Enterprises parts of "The Wall" was for sale frequently on ebay. I know a guy in Cally that constructed a playback at his house made almost completely of the wall of sound drivers and amps. He swore up and down that he would never allow anything but the GD to be played on that system.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
PS. About a yr after Jerry died and they began the real down sizing of GD Enterprises parts of "The Wall" was for sale frequently on ebay. I know a guy in Cally that constructed a playback at his house made almost completely of the wall of sound drivers and amps. He swore up and down that he would never allow anything but the GD to be played on that system.

the "Wall of Sound" was dismantled in 1974 and never reassembled. For a few more years in the '70's parts of it were still used, but nothing after 1979. Numersous historical references support this statement (Blair's "Gear" book, McNally's biography, etc)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
By the early '80's, the Dead themselves owned very little PA equipment. The sound reinforcement for their concerts was done by Meyersound (primarily) and other independent companies. As for the specific components from the Wall itself, almost everything had been disassembled and sold by 1976, and the rest by 1979. So whatever your friend bought, it wasn't from the Wall itself, although it could have been similar components. And none of that is any reflection on how his system actually sounds (sounded).

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I actually visited with a fellow in the mid-70's ('75 or '76) who had assembled his own system with MacIntosh electronics and JBL speakers, set up in a small warehouse in SF (IIRC, the dimensions were about 40' x 75', with a 20' ceiling) to play his Dead tapes (reel to reel, as all serious collectors used back then). Sounded pretty amazing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing