What's the best way to prepare a steak?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
:D

Mark, apparently the shop I get my steaks from has some smokin' prices. The price is correct. $13.99/lb for both the high end Choice and the Prime. In fact, I just got quoted $12.99/lb for Prime if I special order a 15-18lb lion. Unfortunately, they never know when they will get in a shipment of Prime so the availability is still a hit or miss.

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
:D

Mark, apparently the shop I get my steaks from has some smokin' prices. The price is correct. $13.99/lb for both the high end Choice and the Prime. In fact, I just got quoted $12.99/lb for Prime if I special order a 15-18lb lion. Unfortunately, they never know when they will get in a shipment of Prime so the availability is still a hit or miss.

Tom

Good for you Tom! I am still puzzled by the fact that you take a tenderizing hammer and beat the snot out of your steak before cooking it if you are getting good grades of beef to begin with. I don't know if it's a myth believed by some that a "great" steak should be able to be cut by a fork. There is a reason we have steak knifes. Even butter has a special knife. I had a Filet Mignon at Gibsons Steakhouse at Axpona 2013 that was cooked in a *million* degree oven (alright, maybe it was 1600 degrees) and it was super tender, but you still needed a knife to cut it. I just think it's a bit much to expect to have a steak that is so tender that a meth addict with no teeth could gum it easily if they hit the lottery before they received dental implants.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Have you had Wagyu/Kobe?
THAT you can cut with a fork, even a thick, medallion type cut.

alexandre

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Not yet asiufy. While I would love too one day, my budget always says "no". $50 to $150.00 a pound is too rich for my blood. No food is really worth that kind of price IMO. Plus, the sheer amount of scams involved with these types of meat just solidifies my stance. Perhaps if I go to Japan and I can get something from the source.....

I haven't had any issues with not needing a knife with Prime Rib, sometimes [fat and gristle aside] Rib Eye as well. If you have a good grade, nice cut and it is cooked properly, it has been my experience that most of the time a knife is not needed. Now if you get a chuck steak at the local Wal-Mart, you might as well break out the electric knife.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not yet asiufy. While I would love too one day, my budget always says "no". $50 to $150.00 a pound is too rich for my blood. No food is really worth that kind of price IMO. Plus, the sheer amount of scams involved with these types of meat just solidifies my stance. Perhaps if I go to Japan and I can get something from the source.....

I haven't had any issues with not needing a knife with Prime Rib, sometimes [fat and gristle aside] Rib Eye as well. If you have a good grade, nice cut and it is cooked properly, it has been my experience that most of the time a knife is not needed. Now if you get a chuck steak at the local Wal-Mart, you might as well break out the electric knife.

Tom

More like a chainsaw me thinks. I will never have the pleasure(?) of eating a Wagyu/Kobe steak, but I also won't have the displeasure of eating any kind of meat from Wally World either.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
The window of opportunity for getting the steak cooked to perfection I always found to be a very narrow window. Given that most steaks I tried to broil were different thicknesses and some tended to curl more than others, finding the precise time to get the steak out or flip over I found too difficult to nail perfectly every time.

Hi Tom, the solution to your problem is a low temperature oven. Before I got my sous-vide setup, I used to cook steaks with the oven set at 60C (140F). You have a large window to remove your steak when it's done.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Have you had Wagyu/Kobe?

alexandre

No, I haven't. Those types of steaks aren't readily available in your local butcher's display case let alone the supermarket chains where I live. I'm specifically referring to buying USDA Choice or Prime steaks.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Finishing a steak off in the microwave? Isn't that blasphemy, sacrilegious, against the 10 Commandments or something terrible??

Not really - no different from finishing it off in a conventional oven, but a lot faster and a little bit juicier.

Have to add that it's 30 to 45 sec for four steaks for my family.... One steak might be 15 to 20 secs and then it's really hard to judge.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Have you had Wagyu/Kobe?

alexandre

I had the opportunity of trying the highest grade Wagyu in Japan. It was cooked on a teppanyaki table. My host kidded me that if I ever put anything other than salt on it the teppan chef would cut my fingers off. LOL.

Wagyu is definitely fantastic in small quantities but not so if I go past 3 or 4 ounces. I begin to feel dizzy.

I don't consider anything under 6 ounces a steak :D

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
No, I haven't. Those types of steaks aren't readily available in your local butcher's display case let alone the supermarket chains where I live. I'm specifically referring to buying USDA Choice or Prime steaks.

Don't buy your steak from supermarket chains. Supermarkets go for one thing only - low price. This means they take all sorts of shortcuts which is bad for your meat, bad for ethical farming, and bad for animal welfare. I buy all my meat and veg from butchers and grocers. The only things I buy from the supermarket are things like toilet paper and lightbulbs. If you can not afford to eat good quality steak, then don't eat steak! I eat steak maybe once a month, so I can afford to splurge and buy the best steak with the best marbling and smother it with all sorts of lovely fat and cook it over a carcinogen generating charcoal grille. Steak should be a luxury, not a staple.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not yet asiufy. While I would love too one day, my budget always says "no". $50 to $150.00 a pound is too rich for my blood. No food is really worth that kind of price IMO.
It is Tom. It is. After you taste it, you won't care. :D In Japan that is. The US version doesn't seem to be in the same class at places I have tried it. We are talking about meat that doesn't even need chewing! The temp of your mouth seems to melt the fat and such. Fortunately for me, I have always had it when I was being taken out by someone and them expensing the bill :).

Perhaps if I go to Japan and I can get something from the source.....
That is the way to do it. You can have it in Korean BBQ restaurants or dedicated places.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I smoked a couple of Akaushi beef briskets and frankly didn't think it was as good as the prime briskets I get from Creekstone Farms. Akaushi is analogous to wagyu. Its a breed of cattle that was brought over and raised in Texas in the early 70s. Supposedly heart healthy. I didn't find it to be worth the extra money over angus choice, while the prime CF briskets were absolutely outstanding.

I dry age beef using Drybag Steak bags. One of the best steaks I've had recently was a 33 day dry aged NY Strip that I sous vide. No photos but I'll remember it for a long time.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I smoked a couple of Akaushi beef briskets and frankly didn't think it was as good as the prime briskets I get from Creekstone Farms. Akaushi is analogous to wagyu. Its a breed of cattle that was brought over and raised in Texas in the early 70s. Supposedly heart healthy. I didn't find it to be worth the extra money over angus choice, while the prime CF briskets were absolutely outstanding.

I dry age beef using Drybag Steak bags. One of the best steaks I've had recently was a 33 day dry aged NY Strip that I sous vide. No photos but I'll remember it for a long time.
sounds fabulous. How did you serve it

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Someone gave me a Wagu style Brisket (don't remember the brand) but as you, I did not think it was anything special. The Kobe beef really needs to be enjoyed as steak where you fat runs through it and you can taste the difference quite readily in tenderness, flavor and mouth feel.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
It is Tom. It is. After you taste it, you won't care. :D In Japan that is.
Yeah, I know. I was that way with the crab cakes at Chophouse47. I complained about the price the entire time I was there [softly] until they placed them on the table. My first thought was, "that's it?" I immediately shut up when I took my first bite. Right there and then the price was justified and then some. I've been highly recommending them ever since!

I'm sure once I have it, the price for that would be justified as well. It's just hard to swallow [no pun intended] that kind of cost for a small portion of a cow. One day.....:)

Tom

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Steve:

I always prefer to keep my steaks simple. I like to use Borsari seasoned salt (available at Whole Foods) and a touch of olive oil. After I sous vide the steak I throw it on the ceramic grill for about a minute a side (at most) just to have the flames kiss it.

Always a show stopper.

Ken

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Someone gave me a Wagu style Brisket (don't remember the brand) but as you, I did not think it was anything special. The Kobe beef really needs to be enjoyed as steak where you fat runs through it and you can taste the difference quite readily in tenderness, flavor and mouth feel.

Amir:

Did you try the meat from Snake River Farms? The shipping is a killer for me but I suspect would be very reasonable for you.

I was extremely impressed by the prime brisket from Creekstone Farms. Shipping is included in the price. I could easily tell the difference in the quality of the brisket before I smoked it and the finished product was outrageous.

Ken

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I never put oil of any kind on my steaks that I cook on the grill. I only put oil on pork chops and chicken and then I only use extra virgin olive oil. And if it's extra virgin olive oil, not only has it never had sex, it has never even thought about having sex. :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Don't buy your steak from supermarket chains. Supermarkets go for one thing only - low price. This means they take all sorts of shortcuts which is bad for your meat, bad for ethical farming, and bad for animal welfare. I buy all my meat and veg from butchers and grocers. The only things I buy from the supermarket are things like toilet paper and lightbulbs. If you can not afford to eat good quality steak, then don't eat steak! I eat steak maybe once a month, so I can afford to splurge and buy the best steak with the best marbling and smother it with all sorts of lovely fat and cook it over a carcinogen generating charcoal grille. Steak should be a luxury, not a staple.

Sorry Keith, but that sounds a little too pretentious for my liking. And for the record, unless you know where your butcher or green grocer is buying their stock, you have no way of knowing where it come from and how it was raised or grown. What I do get from this post is that perhaps us poor folk should not bother to participate as the steaks I buy from Costco (mostly) are beneath you.

I'm offended and outta here!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir:

Did you try the meat from Snake River Farms? The shipping is a killer for me but I suspect would be very reasonable for you.

I was extremely impressed by the prime brisket from Creekstone Farms. Shipping is included in the price. I could easily tell the difference in the quality of the brisket before I smoked it and the finished product was outrageous.

Ken
No, I will put it on my list of things to try. The problem I have is that my wife loves Pork Butt better than Brisket for long smokes. Indeed, that is what I am cooking tonight to have ready for dinner tomorrow! So kind of hard to justify paying premium price for mail order Brisket. Personally though I do like Brisket and is a nice change from pulled pork. So thanks for the suggestion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing