What's the best way to prepare a steak?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That sounds like a series of oxymorons.

Is that good? ...With steaks, there are many ways to prepare, and everyone's different in how they prefer them.
About fresh killed and cooked over a nice bush camp fire on the same night?
Have you ever done that Gary?

* Keith has some great tips though on the previous page.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hi Tom, thanks for the question :) I note that you said prior to being cooked. Here are some methods I have tried (by no means an exhaustive list):

Yes, I did say prior to being cooked ;). While I have yet to try your sous-vide method [which I will do], my curiosity right now is what to do to achieve the best outcome prior to actually cooking the steak. My various cooking methods, while perhaps not absolutely "perfect" every time [I'll be man enough to admit it], is not an issue. The seasonings or recipes aren't the issue. As I had mentioned before, I get a really good steak almost every time. What I'm looking to achieve is that really GREAT steak every time. The kind of steak that melts in your mouth and can be cut with a fork it at all possible, regardless if it has been seared or not.

The most common steaks that I cook are Ribeye [roasts and steaks], Filet Mignon, New York Strip and the occasional Prime Rib. I would love to achieve a tender and juicy London Broil [Flank Steak] but I haven't had much luck with that. They turn out good *more like decent* compared to other cuts but this is something I usually avoid. T-bones are a great steak but even with dining at the Charlotte and surrounding area's high end restaurants that do happen to offer a T-bone steak on the menu, they tend to come out well done on the edges, medium rare [which is what I order] for only about an inch or so and the steak toward the bone almost always comes out raw. Yuck! I'll reserve the T-bone in the future for the sous-vide method and cook them myself.

- Jaccard meat tenderizer. (Link). This contraption (pictured above) holds an array of angled knives that cuts some muscle fibres and leaving others alone when you push it through your steak. How does it work? All of us have seen what happens when we expose meat to heat - it contracts. The amount of contraction depends on the length of the muscle fibre. The more the meat contracts, the more juices will be squeezed out, and the denser the texture of the meat. The Jaccard tenderizes meat by chopping the long muscle fibres into shorter ones, lessening the contraction and keeping the meat juicy. This is conceptually similar to pounding the meat with a mallet, but I do not like doing that because non-even pounding can turn part of the meat into mush.

OK, I have seen ^^^ this contraption ^^^ before and I have come real close to ordering one on many an occasion. The reason that I never pulled the trigger is that one of the "rules" that I have always heard of that one must follow in order to produce a great steak [perhaps you could verify/elaborate/debunk this and give us the scientific reason to do this or not] is to not poke holes in the meat itself. This is why I have always used the meat mallet/tenderizer. Here's one similar to what I use...
- Enzyme meat tenderizers (e.g. papaya or pineapple juice) are sometimes used but I do not like them. They work by digesting the proteins of the meat. Unfortunately, they work in an indiscriminate fashion and make the texture of the meat mealy.

I have never really been a fan of powdered tenderizers, though I have experimented with a bunch over the years. I don't recall ever trying papaya or pineapple juice before but I do appreciate the heads up. It doesn't sound like I'd want to and you may very well have saved a steak or two from disaster.

Ultimately the best way to get a great steak on the plate is to buy a great steak from the butcher in the first place. Here are some observations on steaks from butchers:

- marbling - everybody agrees that more marbling = more flavour and more tenderness. Unless you are on a health drive, go for the steak which has the best marbling. I don't eat steak too often (less than once a month) so I don't worry too much if it has some fat in it. A bit of fat is OK on occasion, just don't make a habit of it.

- grass fed vs. feedlot. Grass fed means that the cows were allowed to roam and graze, meaning they got more exercise. More exercise means more flavour. Unfortunately, it sometimes means less marbling - but marbling depends on other factors as well, e.g. the type of feed and the breed of cow.

- Slaughter - it has been proven that quick, humane slaughter produces superior meat to other forms of slaughter (e.g. halal and kosher methods). Both halal and kosher slaughter may not involve stunning the animal prior to the neck arteries being severed, so there is a greater risk of suffering to the animal, irrespective of what their clerics may tell you. The reason why quick slaughter produces superior meat - when an animal is panicked, it increases blood supply to the muscles and tells the muscles to use energy (in the form of ATP) in preparation of the "fight or flight" response. When the animal is slaughtered, the depleted energy supply causes rigor mortis to occur earlier and produces a more rigid form of rigor mortis, such that muscle fibres might be torn. The residual lactic acid also has deleterious effects on meat quality. All butchers will tell you that their meat was humanely slaughtered, but you want to make sure you do not buy halal or kosher meat. Unless you have to.

- Aging. It is essential for beef cuts to be aged, so that they go past rigor mortis and start becoming tender. There are two ways to age meat - in a vacuum bag (cryovac) or dry aging in a humidity and temperature controlled cellar. The advantage of Cryovac is that there is minimum moisture loss, so the meat is heavier and can be sold with more profits. Dry aging actually dries out the surface of the meat, which needs to be cut off and discarded producing more wastage - so the meat is more expensive to sell. But the results are well worth it - see this article.

- Cut. Different cuts of meat produce different results, but that is the subject of another topic.

Thank for the refresher. I didn't know about the slaughtering method changing the meat. Very interesting. I'll have to ask my favorite butcher shop http://www.peachstand.com/peachstand_custombutchershop.asp which method they use . I do know they grain feed their cows and that the meat I purchase is USDA Choice, unless I get lucky and they happen to get in some USDA Prime. They are currently looking into being able to special order USDA Prime for me. Their USDA Prime is $13.99/lb for Ribeye....not too bad and it sure beats paying $30-50 for the same steak at a restaurant. Especially when 95% of the time, my steaks come out better than what I have been served. There are, of course, exceptions. Chophouse47 http://www.chophouse47.com/ is definitely one of them. Too bad it's an hour and a half away from me. :(

Do you ever age your meat after purchasing it?

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my inquiries, KeithW. Much appreciated. :)

Tom

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm with you. That's the best cut and seasoning.

I'm also partial to chateau briand medium rare. I like it better than cutting the tenderloin into filet mignon. With less surface area on the heat, the meat stays juicier which is important with that cut because there is minimal fat in the tenderloin.

An IR burner is great for searing, but if you start with a steak greater than 1.25" or up to 2" the sear burner will incinerate your steaks unless you like them "Black and blue." If you like them medium rare, you must take them off the sear burner and lower the heat to finish them.

I hear you...for real thick steaks, I sear as desired and finish in the oven to get the right internal temp without turning the outside to charcoal.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have simply never heard of having to pound a good quality steak into submission in order to tenderize it. Ditto for using tenderizing solutions like they do for cheap cuts of beef like you would expect from cheap steak chain restaurants where a really *expensive* steak might cost you $9.00. There are certain dishes like Swiss Steak which use a cheaper cut of beef and they have to be pounded in order for them to cook correctly and be tender. High quality cuts of steak intended for grilling should never require this treatment IMO.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . . Their USDA Prime is $13.99/lb for Ribeye....not too bad and it sure beats paying $30-50 for the same steak at a restaurant. Especially when 95% of the time, my steaks come out better than what I have been served. . . .:)

Tom

$13.99 for prime rib-eye?!?!?! I want to shop where you shop. The good butchers near me sell aged prime rib-eye for $20-30 a pound. I guess it depends on their mood that day. I was looking last week and remarked to the guy on line next to me that for only a few dollars more, I could have it served to me in a restaurant.

The two best steakhouses I have been to are Peter Lugers and Berns.

Terry E.

Aug 25, 2012
The Home of the Brave
What temperature oven and for how long?

I normally use a cast iron pan over a gas stove, sear, then lower the heat. But, when it is a really thick steak this method is not optimal, but for the searing.

I like my steak rare, plus. In other words, not cold because of flavor, but very red, slightly warm and lots of juice. My favorite steaks are ribeye and prime rib.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
What temperature oven and for how long?

Hello, Terry E. Nice to see you join in on the discussion! I am at a loss on who this question above was directed toward. Would you be so kind as to clarify? I sometimes broil a cast iron pan to sear all sides, then transfer the steak to another preheated cast iron pan on the stove top to finish.

$13.99 for prime rib-eye?!?!?! I want to shop where you shop.

Gotta move down here then. :)

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My favourite cuts are Tenderloin and Ribeye. These are two entirely different cuts, but I enjoy them equally and when I find them on-sale I try to take advantage of it. I also really like "Flank" steak, but it needs to be marinated for 24 hours and then thinly cut on the bias for a proper mouth feel and tenderness. I like just a very plain marinade of Worcestershire Sauce and very finely chopped garlic.

Always, always, always bring your steak to room temperature, and IMO spice about 15 minutes before it hits the flame or your stovetop. Also, don't just sprinkle on the spices....rub them in.

I buy my steak at Costco mostly (Canada AAA grade), although I have a few butchers around that I frequent on occasion. A friend of mine is encouraging me to buy Grass-fed beef, and I'll give that a shot next time I'm at Whole Foods.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thank for the refresher. I didn't know about the slaughtering method changing the meat. Very interesting. I'll have to ask my favorite butcher shop http://www.peachstand.com/peachstand_custombutchershop.asp which method they use . I do know they grain feed their cows and that the meat I purchase is USDA Choice, unless I get lucky and they happen to get in some USDA Prime. They are currently looking into being able to special order USDA Prime for me. Their USDA Prime is $13.99/lb for Ribeye....not too bad and it sure beats paying $30-50 for the same steak at a restaurant. Especially when 95% of the time, my steaks come out better than what I have been served. There are, of course, exceptions. Chophouse47 http://www.chophouse47.com/ is definitely one of them. Too bad it's an hour and a half away from me. :(

Tom

Maybe the price explains the beating you have to dish out to the steak to tenderize it. If your USDA Prime Ribeyes are only $13.99 per pound, what do USDA Choice Ribeyes sell for?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, Mark. Please allow me to clarify. :)

I do not pound the living *you know what* out of the meat. I use the mallet to loosen the gristle and/or connective muscle fibers/tendons. I always use the flat part and not the other side of the mallet. Usually with steaks, not much force is used. I just try to loosen the slab of meat up a bit. I don't use gingerly force, nor do I use an exorbitant amount of force. It depends a lot on the cut, stiffness and how the meat responds. Kind of like an art.....there is just no way to explain it.

As far as the price of their Choice? I just called them again and it looks like they are the same price. ??? Hmmm. Something is obviously amiss. Sal [the owner] will be in tomorrow and will provide a definitive answer. The only thing I have been told is that their meat [Choice] is a high end grade of Choice, hence the price as compared to normal steak shops around the area. You may be onto something here, Mark. This might explain some of the inconsistency. I will find out more tomorrow morning. Thank you.

BTW, maybe I haven't mentioned this before......the steaks are always brought to room temperature. To me, that's steak cooking 101. ;)

Tom

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
$13.99 for prime rib-eye?!?!?! I want to shop where you shop. The good butchers near me sell aged prime rib-eye for $20-30 a pound. I guess it depends on their mood that day. I was looking last week and remarked to the guy on line next to me that for only a few dollars more, I could have it served to me in a restaurant.

The two best steakhouses I have been to are Peter Lugers and Berns.

I was at Berns a few years ago and what an experience. There they serve the steaks by the thickness you want it cut, the type of steak and by the ounce. Berns also has IIRC the largest wine cellar in the USA and an amazing desert experience on the second floor. Steak at the very best. I agree Gary

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Hi Tom, I am not surprised that you have been disappointed with T-bone. In my humble opinion, it is a silly cut of steak founded on misguided principles. Theoretically the sweetest meat is next to the bone, and cooked on the bone. The reason - the meat next to the bone is richest in collagen (connective tissue) which is how the muscle tethers itself to the bone. Normally, this is a bad thing - because collagen is tough and needs either high heat or prolonged cooking to render. However, in a happy coincidence, bone is an excellent conductor of heat so it renders collagen adjacent to it more effectively. There is another reason to cook on the bone - if we are talking fish or poultry, cooking on the bone prevents the meat from contracting too much when exposed to heat. The result is more juicy meat.

Unfortunately, none of these apply to T-bone steak. The very way the meat is cut means that the bone does not provide structural support for the meat to prevent it from excessive shrinking. The fast cooking time for steak does not give enough time to render out the collagen. And worse of all - when you place the steak on a pan, the meat contracts. Because it is attached to the bone, it actually lifts the meat off the pan, preventing the meat adjacent to the bone from cooking! This is why T-bone steaks are usually rare in the center and well done on the outside (as you have observed).

Ergo - NEVER cook T-bone steaks on a pan. Always use a form of heat which does not rely on a metal plate - e.g. gas or charcoal grille, salamander, oven, sous-vide + blowtorch, deep fry, etc. I can not believe that restaurants still make this basic mistake when serving T-bone.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Sorry Tom, missed a couple other of your questions.

Do I age the steak after purchase - no, I don't. I know that Heston Blumenthal recommends leaving your steak uncovered in the fridge for 2 days to dry it out a little more. I have tried this and found that it dries the steak out too much. I don't bother - I just buy an aged primal cut steak from my butcher.

As for bringing the steak to room temperature before cooking - I used to do this. However, I have since read (in Modernist Cuisine) a recommendation to actually freeze your steak for 30 minutes prior to cooking to help slow migration of heat to the center, so that you the steak takes longer to cook (thereby making the surface undergo more complete Maillardization). The only reason to bring steaks to room temperature is to promote quicker cooking. It has nothing to do with the thermal shock of the steak causing shrinkage and expelling juices (which is what I used to believe). This is important if you are using a thick cut of steak - however with thick cuts of steak I always use two stage cooking so this does not apply. With thin cuts of steak, starting off with a steak at room temperature actually increases the risk that you overcook it if you are using a high heat method.

The take home message - always think about how heat travels through your steak before selecting your cooking method and your starting temperature.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sorry Tom, missed a couple other of your questions.

Do I age the steak after purchase - no, I don't. I know that Heston Blumenthal recommends leaving your steak uncovered in the fridge for 2 days to dry it out a little more. I have tried this and found that it dries the steak out too much. I don't bother - I just buy an aged primal cut steak from my butcher.

As for bringing the steak to room temperature before cooking - I used to do this. However, I have since read (in Modernist Cuisine) a recommendation to actually freeze your steak for 30 minutes prior to cooking to help slow migration of heat to the center, so that you the steak takes longer to cook (thereby making the surface undergo more complete Maillardization). The only reason to bring steaks to room temperature is to promote quicker cooking. It has nothing to do with the thermal shock of the steak causing shrinkage and expelling juices (which is what I used to believe). This is important if you are using a thick cut of steak - however with thick cuts of steak I always use two stage cooking so this does not apply. With thin cuts of steak, starting off with a steak at room temperature actually increases the risk that you overcook it if you are using a high heat method.

The take home message - always think about how heat travels through your steak before selecting your cooking method and your starting temperature.

We went in opposite directions. I used to do the freeze when my top had insufficient BTU. Even with a big cast iron pan however the cold meet scrubbed off heat from the pan really quickly. Now that I have a top with decent BTU, for thinner cuts I go room temp then a thin searing pan. The downside is that you have to take a minute before putting the other side back on.

On thick cuts I'm a two stage cooker like yourself choices are sous vide, oven finish.

I would love to have a Salamander. Unfortunately I have no place to put one.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
We get USDA Choice Ribeye for anything from $7.99/lb to $18.99/lb and USDA Prime for anything from $10.99/lb to $36.99/lb from the Costco in Kirkland, WA. I don't know what determines the price, but my wife will always buy steaks when it's at the lower 20th percentile of price. We have two extremely active skinny kids, and they need all the meat and fat we can feed them.

I have a strange way with steak that I've developed over the past years, and as a result my family and I won't eat steak in a steakhouse. When I was invited to Sparks during the New York Audio Show, I picked the lamb chops.

My usual formula is to marinate the steak in a mixture of very high quality soya sauce and Cordon Bleu XO Cognac. About 1:2. I do this overnight in a ziploc bag in the fridge, and then take them out and dry the steaks off, and cook it cold to keep the middle at blue. Retain the marinade for making the sauce.

I don't use a griddle, but I use a large stainless steel frying pan to get better maillardization (is there such a word?). I have one with a very thick copper bottom that retains enough heat to really sear well. With the pan hot enough, place the steaks on the pan to sear. Flip over to sear the other side. Then, transfer to a pre-heated microwave-proof dish (I use a glass dish placed in the oven at 250 deg F), and microwave on med-high for 30 to 45 seconds depending on thickness of the steak.

A bit of the juices may come out after microwaving - usually less than a tablespoon for 4 steaks. Use that juice, the retained marinade, and another big splash of Cordon Bleu to de-glaze the pan and make a sauce with creme fraiche (my kids don't like sour cream as that is too sour).

I think that steak requires a deft touch. If the pan is not hot enough, and I sear for too long, there is a layer of grey, overcooked meat. The meat before the microwave is practically raw in the middle, and the microwave evens it out to produce a nice, juicy, tender steak.

My "secret" family recipe.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Maillardization

Helps us with what these terms mean Keith because I assure you that in your forum alone the mere talk of steak has everyone fixated on your replies

Hi Steve, the Maillard reaction is commonly known as "browning". It is what is responsible for generating the flavours of browned meat. Everybody knows that roast beef tastes different to boiled beef. The Maillard reaction is the reason why.

The Maillard reaction is really the reaction of proteins, in the presence of a number of favourable conditions, to generate shorter chain proteins. Short chain proteins are more flavoursome and aromatic. We were probably bred to favour them as part of our evolutionary heritage because they are easier to digest - i.e. the body does not have to supply the energy to break down the long chain proteins into individual amino acids because these have already been broken down by fire. Regardless of the explanation, they taste good.

Conditions which favour the Maillard reaction include:

- presence of a protein, preferably a short chain protein
- presence of a reducing sugar (i.e. a sugar capable of receiving a proton)
- alkaline conditions
- high heat
- presence of pre-formed Maillard products (i.e. it catalyzes its own reaction - or it is autocatalytic).

If you have a thin steak and need to do all you can to favour the Maillard reaction, knowledge of the above would lead you to the following steps:

- cool down the meat so that it can spend as long a time as possible over the heat to develop the Maillard reaction before the interior overcooks,
- create an alkaline condition on the surface by sprinkling with baking soda (Heston Blumenthal)
- add a reducing sugar with a light sprinkle of caster sugar
- add short chain proteins with a light sprinkle of milk powder (Heston Blumenthal)

Once you understand the science behind flavour (and it is very simple) you will know how to unlock more flavour in your food.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We get USDA Choice Ribeye for anything from $7.99/lb to $18.99/lb and USDA Prime for anything from $10.99/lb to $36.99/lb from the Costco in Kirkland, WA. I don't know what determines the price, but my wife will always buy steaks when it's at the lower 20th percentile of price. We have two extremely active skinny kids, and they need all the meat and fat we can feed them.

I have a strange way with steak that I've developed over the past years, and as a result my family and I won't eat steak in a steakhouse. When I was invited to Sparks during the New York Audio Show, I picked the lamb chops.

My usual formula is to marinate the steak in a mixture of very high quality soya sauce and Cordon Bleu XO Cognac. About 1:2. I do this overnight in a ziploc bag in the fridge, and then take them out and dry the steaks off, and cook it cold to keep the middle at blue. Retain the marinade for making the sauce.

I don't use a griddle, but I use a large stainless steel frying pan to get better maillardization (is there such a word?). I have one with a very thick copper bottom that retains enough heat to really sear well. With the pan hot enough, place the steaks on the pan to sear. Flip over to sear the other side. Then, transfer to a pre-heated microwave-proof dish (I use a glass dish placed in the oven at 250 deg F), and microwave on med-high for 30 to 45 seconds depending on thickness of the steak.

A bit of the juices may come out after microwaving - usually less than a tablespoon for 4 steaks. Use that juice, the retained marinade, and another big splash of Cordon Bleu to de-glaze the pan and make a sauce with creme fraiche (my kids don't like sour cream as that is too sour).

I think that steak requires a deft touch. If the pan is not hot enough, and I sear for too long, there is a layer of grey, overcooked meat. The meat before the microwave is practically raw in the middle, and the microwave evens it out to produce a nice, juicy, tender steak.

My "secret" family recipe.

Hmmm. Soy with Cognac! Reminds me of some Teppan I had at Hotel Nikko in Paris. That was very good indeed.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, Terry E. Nice to see you join in on the discussion! I am at a loss on who this question above was directed toward. Would you be so kind as to clarify? I sometimes broil a cast iron pan to sear all sides, then transfer the steak to another preheated cast iron pan on the stove top to finish.

The quote below in blue was sent to me via a PM and it was asked of me to go ahead and post the response within the thread. This is from Terry E.

Terry E. said:
My question was directed to anyone who knows how to finish off a steak in the oven. I do like your idea of having another cast iron pan; love my cast iron.

As a life-long steak lover, my preference has always been well-marbled, bone in and very red and juicy. I find that steakhouses cook rare steaks cool and frankly, I'd rather have tartare than a barely cooked steak. It is about the flavor and texture for me.

Terry

Hello, Terry E. While I haven't cooked a steak in the oven in a very long time [over a decade], whenever I did I just broiled the steak. The window of opportunity for getting the steak cooked to perfection I always found to be a very narrow window. Given that most steaks I tried to broil were different thicknesses and some tended to curl more than others, finding the precise time to get the steak out or flip over I found too difficult to nail perfectly every time. The stove that I currently have does not have a dedicated broiling drawer like the ones I used to use, so I haven't tried to broil anything lately. I just use the broil function to get the cast iron pans hot enough to sear the edges and then I continue cooking in another cast iron pan on the stove top or grill them outside in the BGE.

Whenever I have large Portabello mushrooms on hand, I'll take the sear pan and add Worcestershire sauce to help de-glaze the pan and then I'll cook slices of the Portabello in the sauce until the sauce is not quite fully exhausted of the liquid. Makes a GREAT appetizer and it only takes a couple of minutes to prepare! Just be sure that you know which pan is which. It would be a one time mistake if you tried to move or handle the pan that just came out of the broiler without a mitt. Unfortunately, my wife learned that the hard way a couple of years back.

Tom

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Finishing a steak off in the microwave? Isn't that blasphemy, sacrilegious, against the 10 Commandments or something terrible??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing