the Durand Record Weight; love it!

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
it's about context. if you have pushed the envelope of vinyl performance to a certain place, then small steps are valuable. if not, then no way to relate the value of taking exceptional vinyl performance a little further. and i'm not claiming any universal benefit beyond my gear and system, although i would expect the Durand Record Weight to be effective in most non-vacuum hold-down set-ups, i'm simply guessing about that.

i'm assuming you have read my comments. if so, they do explain my perceptions of the benefit i percieved.

besides that, i'm not exactly sure what you are asking.....with all due respect, of course.

Whilst I have previously been skeptical and guffawed at such components in my system context - I see Mikes point. It's not a case of saying get yourself a Sony USB for $50usd and putting a Durand weight (extreme example)

whereas as a final flourish or as an enhancer it might just be the missing piece

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
I love my Durand record weight. been using it for 4-5 years now. it simply 'loads' the record, even warped records, and allows the life to come through, but removes the distortion from resonance. it's about the balance of things. I did try some other record weights, and record mats, and a screw down clamp......preferred a naked platter and the Durand.

I had a Rockport Sirius III with vacuum holddown, and I prefer the record weight and the composite platter of my NVS tt. can't say that the Durand record weight is equally good on all platters as I would expect the platter material might effect the musical equation with a record weight......or not. I've heard it used on a number of other turntables to good effect.

I've not seen any variance of effectiveness of the Durand with different weight pressings. but that does not mean there might not be......I've just never seen a recognizable relationship that way.

oh, and btw, I started this thread in April of 2013. so this has been a long term solution for me I still prefer to other choices I've heard.
Hi Mike, I am in the throws of trying to purchase one of these lovely record weights but...I can't seem to get a clear answer on the depth of the spindle hole? I am using a Kuzma Stabi M turntable and it has quite a tall spindle as similar to say a VPI Classic, approx 1" inch tall. Any help would be fantastic...

Kind regards,
Lynford.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike, I am in the throws of trying to purchase one of these lovely record weights but...I can't seem to get a clear answer on the depth of the spindle hole? I am using a Kuzma Stabi M turntable and it has quite a tall spindle as similar to say a VPI Classic, approx 1" inch tall. Any help would be fantastic...

Kind regards,
Lynford.

be glad to measure it tonight. but i've tried it on my Saskia model two idler that has a tall spindle and it worked.

Reactions: twintech

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have considered getting a weight. So many people say they don't work. So many say they do. Maybe you really need something engineered to consistently produce positive gains. Engineering and production do have associated cost. The Durand weight looks well engineered with multiple press fit parts. It appears to be fairly expensive to produce. Especially since it is built in small batch.

I find it amusing the acrimony associated to a TT tweak. As in, the table was engineered wrong if a weight helps. Or it should have come with the weight in the first place. What amuses me is all the tweaks we apply elsewhere in our systems and are so proud we found. Especially footers. Is there anyone who has not found a footer or platform for their (Insert Equipment) and marveled at the improvement. And why didn't the product come with the foot in the first place???? And I have seen plenty of Stillpoints, that when 6 are used under a pair of monoblocks, the cost of those feet are much greater than Joel's record weight. But were so happy we spent the money on it.

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
be glad to measure it tonight. but i've tried it on my Saskia model two idler that has a tall spindle and it worked.
Hi Mike,

Just to let you know, I am thrilled to say, that I have finally found myself a Joel Durand Record Weight!!! after over 5 years of searching... And It is on its way to me, it might be here as soon as Monday 3rd July 2023 :)

I cannot wait to hear it on my 'table, I do already have a Wave Kinetics W8 record weight, (which you did recommend) I also have an original first generation Shun Mook Ebony Record Clamp, plus a Kuzma Ebony Record Weight, so, I just need to get the original Lee Dalby Record Weight to complete my collection.

Do you happen to know, which type of wood is used for the Joel Durand Weight?

I would just like to add...how sad I was to read that Jonathan Tinn had passed away. RIP

Kind regards,

Lynford Andrews.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi Mike,

Just to let you know, I am thrilled to say, that I have finally found myself a Joel Durand Record Weight!!! after over 5 years of searching... And It is on its way to me, it might be here as soon as Monday 3rd July 2023 :)

I cannot wait to hear it on my 'table, I do already have a Wave Kinetics W8 record weight, (which you did recommend) I also have an original first generation Shun Mook Ebony Record Clamp, plus a Kuzma Ebony Record Weight, so, I just need to get the original Lee Dalby Record Weight to complete my collection.

Do you happen to know, which type of wood is used for the Joel Durand Weight?

I would just like to add...how sad I was to read that Jonathan Tinn had passed away. RIP

Kind regards,

Lynford Andrews.
Hi 'twintech',
How do you find the performance and use of your Kuzma Ebony Record Weight vs your Shun Mook Ebony Record Clamp and your Wave Kinetics W8 Record Weight ?

Will also be great when you compare your Joel Durand Record Weight with your other three when it arrives.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Hello Lynford,

What do you think is the heaviest weight that you could use of the Stabi M without risking wear on the bearing or the motor or creating some sonic anomaly due to the heaviness of the weight?

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
Hello Lynford,

What do you think is the heaviest weight that you could use of the Stabi M without risking wear on the bearing or the motor or creating some sonic anomaly due to the heaviness of the weight?
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your message.

Well, I have actually tried a 1.3 kgs heavy weight and that was just fine. And I didn't detect any sonic anomalies whatsoever. I did check the speed too, and everything was OK. Kuzma used to do the outer ring that weighed 1.5 kgs that fitted the XL DC and the Stabi M, but they have now changed it to 1.3 kgs. So, I'm thinking that Franc Kuzma is happy with 1.3 kgs, having said that, obviously if you wanted to use a heavy record weight together with the outer ring you would have to balance that. The Stabi M is a very robust 'table and has an incredibly strong motor, stiff drive belt, and a very good and strong and well tested bearing.

I would be more than confident in using anything up to 1.0kgs.

Hope this is of some help.

Kind regards,
Lynford.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,

Well, I have actually tried a 1.3 kgs heavy weight and that was just fine. And I didn't detect any sonic anomalies whatsoever. I did check the speed too, and everything was OK. Kuzma used to do the outer ring that weighed 1.5 kgs that fitted the XL DC and the Stabi M, but they have now changed it to 1.3 kgs. So, I'm thinking that Franc Kuzma is happy with 1.3 kgs, having said that, obviously if you wanted to use a heavy record weight together with the outer ring you would have to balance that. The Stabi M is a very robust 'table and has an incredibly strong motor, stiff drive belt, and a very good and strong and well tested bearing.

Kind regards,
Lynford.

Thank you!

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
Hi 'twintech',
How do you find the performance and use of your Kuzma Ebony Record Weight vs your Shun Mook Ebony Record Clamp and your Wave Kinetics W8 Record Weight ?

Will also be great when you compare your Joel Durand Record Weight with your other three when it arrives.
Hi Bonesy Jonesy,

I like the Kuzma Ebony Record Weight very much indeed, and in direct comparison with the Shun Mook Ebony Record Clamp, which I like very much also, I would just add that the Kuzma is a lot lighter than the Mook, and only weighs 333 gr, where as the Mook weighs 450 gr. So, my personal experience with both of these weights is; They both perform very well, both of them adds focus, energy, naturalness and textural detail, together with added snap and leading edge definition, and both of them never sounding brighter or edgy, I do think that the Mook is just a gnats warmer and a touch deeper in the bass.

The Wave Kinetics W8 Leather Record Weight is a totally different animal to the other two ebony weights, it is quite large in comparison, 3.5" inches in diameter by 2" inches high, and weighs 1.22 lbs. (.550 kgs) the other minor issue is the spindle hole depth is only 3/4" of an inch (19 mm). However, this particular weight is not one of my personal favourites, don't get me wrong, it does sound very good indeed, but, because of it's quite large diameter, I don't tend to use it very often, it's very difficult to get hold of especially if the platter is rotating, also, my other issue with it is, again due to the diameter of the weight, you have to keep an eye out for the vinyl record coming to the end and quickly grab the tonearm lift before it gets to the dead wax runout, because if your not careful the cartridge will bounce off the side of the leather weight!!! :cool:

Yes, the long awaited Joel Durand Record Weight has just arrived. :) It is just gorgeous! Fit and finish is just superb.
A very well designed and produced record weight, unlike any other weight on the market.
It just oozes quality, and it feels lovely to hold, very easy to handle, it feels quite heavy in the palm of the hand.
It weighs 1.22 lbs (.550 kgs) the same as the W8, however, the diameter is so much smaller at 3" inches.
I love the way in sits on the 3 sapphire feet, also the way the special Brazilian Rosewood looks together with the gold plated top plate/name plate, it just looks absolute quality.
I love it!
It's too early to give my listening thoughts on it, but I will do very soon. I would just like to say that it's very addictive and impactful...

Kind regards,

twintech.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi Ron,

Kind regards,
Lynford.
Hi 'twintech',
I believe the original Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp made just for the XL DC and Stabi M weighed 2kgs i.e.

I also believe the original Spindle Record Clamp for the XL DC (and believe still sold with the XL DC and XL DC Air today) was also used for the Stabi M (just a different colour to match the TTs i.e. XL DC was brass colour and the Stabi M was black). This weighs 836g as just weighed it (see attached photo below).

thumbnail_IMG_4118.jpg

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
Hi 'twintech',
I believe the original Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp made just for the XL DC and Stabi M weighed 2kgs i.e.

I also believe the original Spindle Record Clamp for the XL DC (and believe still sold with the XL DC and XL DC Air today) was also used for the Stabi M (just a different colour to match the TTs i.e. XL DC was brass colour and the Stabi M was black). This weighs 836g as just weighed it (see attached photo below).

View attachment 112814
Oops! Sorry about that minor error on my part! :) I am right about the newer bronze outer ring though!? :cool:

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
Hi 'twintech',

View attachment 112814
My original black Stabi M record clamp is definitely not the same weight as the brass XL DC clamp!

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
My original black Stabi M record clamp is definitely not the same weight as the brass XL DC clamp!
Ooo ok. I thought they were the same ! Apologies 'twintech' for the misinformation I posted.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
if anyone is interested, I have the shun Mook weight for sale. Please PM. I still have not advertised it but might soon.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Hello Lynford,

If your platter has a recess for the record label then any weight much over a pound will lift the edge of the record noticeably. In which case you could benefit from an edge clamp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing