4K Video-When Will We See Content That Will Make Us Want To Purchase A New Projector

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Currently the only "real" 4K offer is from Sony in the form of a video server that comes with a few movies with promise of more to come. I suspect they will only release a few movies and all from Sony. How good the quality really is will have to be evaluated once the box is released. Here is a picture of the Sony $699 FMP-X1 4K media player.

Outside of that, there is some movement in Hollywood to provide digital distribution of 4K now. It is a small whimper though and timing still pretty uncertain.

I have not heard of any movement to provide such content via Blu-ray so those waiting for that platform to be upgraded, still have nothing tangible to count on.

Net, net, the only reason to get a 4K anything is because you like the display device better in other regards.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
How for back does one have to sit as well? Is it much like a typical HD set?

Tom

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A 4K display or projector should be great for viewing "slideshows" from your high end digital cameras.
Also for documentary-type material like "Samsara".
Ordinary movies would seem unlikely to show significant benefit on 4K.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
In your opinion, what is the minimum screen's size one needs to see the true 4K benefit?
It is a function of distance Bob. A simple test is to pause on some HD sport on live broadcast. Then walk up to your set. At what point do you see the artifacts in the image? If you don't from where you are sitting, for sure you don't need 4K as the typical block used for compression is 8x8 pixels. If you can't see the artifacts that big, then for sure there is no issue related to individual pixels! If you do see the artifacts from where you sit, then test to see where you see the individual pixels. If again you can't see them from where you sit, 4K is not for you.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
But Amir, this is not the way I watch hi-def video on my screen.

1. No TV at all for me, including sports. Ever!
2. Only moving pictures from movies and music concerts. 99.99% strictly on Blu-rays.
3. I don't pause to check; I follow the action.

And last, everyone wants to know. ...And for sure. Nobody wants to waste money if it ain't worth it.
This is probably the most important question of them all regarding 4K.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That was a test Bob. I picked live sports because compression artifacts show up easily there. It matters not if you do or do not watch sports.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I know, but me too it was also a test, to let you know my real uses of my screen.

BTW, I sit 8 feet max from my 60" hi-def plasma screen (down to 7 feet depending how I position myself on my couch).

And! If 4K is good, I'll purchase a 4K front projector quicker than originally anticipated.
...My piggy bank is already full, and the second one is getting there.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
'Samsara' is a Documentary Film of extreme beauty (picture and audio wise). ...From 8K film resolution.
It is a Must Have Blu-ray in any videophile library.
- Just google it.
Thanks Bob. Looks like follow on work to Baraka which I very much enjoyed. Ordered!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If Sony makes a consumer grade 4k with a xenon bulb, I may bite, but I am still in love with the Sony VPL VW200, which knocks me out every time I look at it.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Amirm,

What is the percentage of blue ray to DVD available? (it's a leading question)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amirm,

What is the percentage of blue ray to DVD available? (it's a leading question)
I have not kept track but the DVD numbers are much larger than BD. So yes, 4K even if it does happen will be a trickle compared to the large DVD library.

The problem is that in this era, people just don't buy old titles much. So it doesn't pay to go back and recapture high resolution scans of old movies just to sell 10,000 copies. 4K therefore will be for some old epic titles but mostly for new.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
In your opinion, what is the minimum screen's size one needs to see the true 4K benefit?

Depends how close you are to the screen. I do not see them coming in sizes less than 50 inch in the next 2-3 years.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
A 4K display or projector should be great for viewing "slideshows" from your high end digital cameras.
Also for documentary-type material like "Samsara".
Ordinary movies would seem unlikely to show significant benefit on 4K.

You can actually even play video games if you invest some serious money into a graphics card. Battlefield 3 in 4k would be awesome. Avid video gamers should wait for TVs with HDMI 2.0 though, as the current HDMI 1.4 only supports 30Fps (ok for films, mostly shot at 24fps, but not enough for some action games).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Sony has now Blu-ray movies from 4K resolution (like Superbit they had before with DVDs).
...Teasers. :b

Yes, thay are pretty impressive, They basicly ditched all extra features and increased bitrate to 38-40Kbps.

There will be 10 titles at launch “Mastered in 4K”, with 5 more to follow over the coming months. The 10 are: The Amazing Spiderman, Total Recall (2012), Ghostbusters, Battle: Los Angeles, The Karate Kid (2010), Taxi Driver, Angels & Demons, Glory, The Other Guys, Spider-Man (2002).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing