Smoking a Turkey Today

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Today is our first attempt at smoking a turkey. Nothing special in the way of preparation, just some butter, salt, pepper, and some paprika. The first picture shows the turkey when first placed inside the smoker and the second picture shows what it looks like after two hours.

DSC_0089.jpg DSC_0090.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looking good Mark. Turkey can pick up too much smoke easily so go easy with the level of smoke :). BTW, I don't mind it overly smokey especially if you make soup out of the bones and such later but the most people don't seem to like it oversmoked.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Amir-It's hard to infuse too much smoke flavor with the Traeger smoker. Unlike smokers which burn large chunks or logs of hardwood, the pellets have a much more gentle infusion of smoke into the meats. After two hours, the turkey is now covered in foil though.

Steve-As for cooking time, I suspect around 3.5 hours.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Amir-325 for the cooking temperature. I have tasted food that came from the type of smokers that put way too much smoke flavor in the meat and I absolutely do not like that flavor. We have a guy at work that has one of those tree-burner smokers and when he brings in a pan full of meat he smoked, the smell of it nauseates me because the smoke smell is so strong.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Here is a picture of the finished turkey. It was right at 3.5 hours.

DSC_0093.jpg

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Until my wife finishes making the German potato salad. :) We just sampled a piece and it was really, really good. Very juicy with lots of flavor.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yummy looking! ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The turkey was very, very good. Super moist and very flavorful. This is an incredibly easy way to cook a turkey. It's pretty much a set it on the grill and forget about it method. We let it cook for two hours and then covered it in foil and then let it cook until it was finished which was another 1.5 hours. Not bad for a 17 lb bird. I use a mixture of cherry wood, apple wood, and hickory pellets. The color that the Trager grill gives all meats is close to evoking the physical response that Homer Simpson gets when looking at a box of doughnuts.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm very picky when it comes to what fish I will eat. I like cod, scrod, flounder, grouper, and Haddock. I love grouper blackened. For those that love a dynamite fish sandwich (sinful pleasure), nothing beats the New England batter that you just won't find anywhere else in the U.S. Couple that batter with a piece of fresh Haddock and you have a killer fish sandwich or just fish and chips if that is your bag.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Mep, I'm with you on NE style batter. Did our first racks of ribs this year a few weeks ago, used apple wood from local orchards. As usual for me, naked only mop sauce used.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mark, great lookin' bird you got there! Do share the German Potato Salad recipe. :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Mep, I'm with you on NE style batter. Did our first racks of ribs this year a few weeks ago, used apple wood from local orchards. As usual for me, naked only mop sauce used.

Ron

nice to see you back again.

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
I admit to being a tool-user in this regard. When Trader Joe's is trying to get rid of pre-brined turkeys, or Costco is giving a huge one away, we'll get one, butcher it (if it's huge), and smoke it.

But our smoker is electric, with a smoke box that you toss chunks (not chips!) into. Done with a brined bird, it's still juicy, and cooked until it's disintegrating. You take out the shelf and the turkey. Don't even think about trying to stick it with a fork, all you'll get is parts.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I prefer chicken myself. . . .

I agree 100%.

Turkey white meat only is fine when it comes right out of the oven. If it has been longer than 3-4 hours since it was cooked, regardless of how it was stored or reheated, I can't eat it. Chicken on the other hand is fine for leftovers the next day.

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
I prefer chicken myself. ...And smoked salmon.

MMmm. Smoked salmon. You betcha. Best thing to come out of my smoker since its first power-up.

Maple syrup and salt on dry fish, cut into 2" slices across the fillet. Smoke to 170 slowly, waiting for the "dip" that happens at about 155, and making sure it happens.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing