A new era in Spectral's amplifiers? The DMA-260 stereo amp

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The DMA-250's replacement is out - the DMA-260 - and it appears to be based on a new architecture - newer than the 360 Series 2 monos even - where, for the first time AFAIK, the input stage is now based on a newer implementation of the SHHA amplification modules found in the DMC-30SL and 30SS preamps.

These modules are claimed to be even faster than the Gen-2 versions in the preamps, so I am hoping they will be back-ported for preamp use at some point. Probably for the first time also, the amp sports cutouts on its top cover, presumably to better dissipate the heat from these modules. I am not sure about the output stage at this point, but I will take a closer look in due time. But more importantly, it would appear we have a new advanced architecture here, and I am hoping we will see much more powerful monos utilizing these modules down the road.

Stay tuned for a mini review after I audition the new amp, and feel free to comment if you've already done so.

kee

Sep 15, 2010
Listened to the spectral DMC-30SS/DMA-260 driving Avalon ISIS speaker. Source was a Mac Mini to Ayre DAC (would be much better if it was Spectral SDR-4000 Pro).

Was impressed by the DMA-260. The drive and control was quite a bit better than DMA-250. It was fast and dynamic. The start stop was super. Though still not as powerful as DMA-360, the DMA-260 mid range had got more broom and sounded richer (especially so for ladies voice)

Tested the system with MIT Oracle balance interconnect & speaker cable Vs Spectral MI-350 UL2 interconnect and MH-750 UL2 speaker cable. With MIT cables, the system sounded more transparent. The The soundstage was more pin point accurate, but the system sounded more dry. With Spectral cables, the system sounded more hazy but much more musical over MIT cable. The timing was better, making one tapping along with the music. Personally I would take spectral cables over MIT oracle. A cable that could give the best of both world would be great:)

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
I wonder if part of the difference that you heard between the cables was due to the MIT Oracle being balanced vs MIT Spectral being single ended? When balanced cables are used with Spectral equipment there are additional stages of electronics added to the signal path.

kee

Sep 15, 2010
I wonder if part of the difference that you heard between the cables was due to the MIT Oracle being balanced vs MIT Spectral being single ended? When balanced cables are used with Spectral equipment there are additional stages of electronics added to the signal path.

Possible, personally I have always preferred single ended over balanced connection. I typically find RCA gives more a more lively, richer sound while balanced connection sounded dry and boring. One might say it is due the way the balance circuit is implemented on that equipment (not true balance).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing