Upsampled SACD's

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, can you comment on sound quality with both the Pyramix and Sonoma set ups?

The only converters that I have that will interface with both systems are the EMM Labs ADC8/DAC8 IV. Even those have 2 different ways of connecting, SDIF-3 vs. ST-optical. With that caveat, I prefer the Sonoma.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Another thing I've found with these 1000's of SACD's.. about 20% of them are out of Scarlet Book spec for allowable material (ie.. DC, audio content above 20k, etc). I've also made a correlation that these SACD's don't sound as good (to me) than the ones that are way under tolerances.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Biggest problem with SACD and to some extent DVD-A, was admonition from ripping them to a PC at a time, when that was all the rage. It is the mass market which helps support these formats and without that feature, they would not come along.

At the time, I actually went and bough all the "Audio DVDs" (not to be confused with DVD-A) because I could rip those. High-end audio guys should have stayed with that format, rather than switching to DVD-A and SACD.

Amir, Are you talking about the early DAD discs from Chesky and Classic Records here?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You mean the "Audio DVD" part? If so, yes, Chesky was one but I had a pretty good catalog of content from a number of others. Sadly, I left them at Microsoft so longer have them to reference. But do recall non-classic titles also.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

igufi

Apr 12, 2011
Finland
I realize that this is probably a impossible request but here goes:

Bruce, having a list of the "rejected" and "verified" SACDs you've analyzed would be extremely beneficial for us, the consumers, to be able make well-informed purchasing decisions.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I realize that this is probably a impossible request but here goes:

Bruce, having a list of the "rejected" and "verified" SACDs you've analyzed would be extremely beneficial for us, the consumers, to be able make well-informed purchasing decisions.

I wish I could, but I tried this on another forum and David started getting complaints and I had 2 labels threaten litigation. Go figure....

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
No, the problem is that labels record at 44.1 or 48k and then upsample to DSD for SACD. Then they give me the SACD to rip the DSD files off of them to give to HDtracks. If there is a brickwall filter at 22 or 24k, then HDtracks can not sell them as hi-rez files. People listen with their eyes (spectral analysis) and start bitchin'. I'd say, on the whole... we get 30-40% regection rate because labels repackaged lo-rez files and charged more money to dupe the consumer thinking you have hi-rez files.

Bruce quick question.
Those SACD albums, how many of those mastered louder than their CD counterpart?
I read an interesting article in one of the audio publications over here, that did a quick (not extensive) check of a CD format (might be that gold CD but cannot remember) in Japan that is meant to be an improvement over redbook.
What they found was yes it did have 50% less errors for mech reading, but also they were surprised to find that the CDs checked were also remastered louder, so obviously this causes a perception difference as well.

Just curious if some of these labels do a similar trick to differentiate between their redbook and SACD, that are the same source.

Thanks
Orb

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce quick question.Just curious if some of these labels do a similar trick to differentiate between their redbook and SACD, that are the same source.

Thanks
Orb

The Redbook and Scarletbook specs are different in that SACD's can be recorded up to +3 - 6dB. This allows labels to record SACD's at a "normal" level in that it appears to have more dynamics. That's why when you retrieve the DSD information from a SACD and convert it to PCM, the signal is always clipping and you have to attenuate by 3-6dB.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Bruce,
but if they are from the same PCM source and both formats are mastered so are not clipping 0dbfs (or -3dbfs), from your experience do they adjust the SACD master to be louder/quieter or make it the same as redbook?
Just going by your own experience when you have looked at SACD albums/tracks compared to CD.
I appreciate this is what you may be hinting at with "normal" levels, where it is originally mastered equally loud but SACD means it does not suffer clipping as quickly.
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing