Upsampled SACD's

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Fraud!

jimtavegia

Jul 21, 2010
I do understand what you are saying and that, I am sure, your analogue gear is first rate, and that only the increased noise floor (albeit very low) is the only real issue for you. Thanks for the information.

It is no different for me and my lesser 2496 recordings for the local University. The HVAC noise is so bad (-50 to -55db) that it is so frunstrating, but even the improvements of 2496 do shine through, just much of the low level detail is buried. We are working with central engineering to program the HVAC systems to be turned off during the concert/recording times. Hopefully getting near -75 or -80db, hopefully. It is live so the patrons do come into play. It is still clear how much better 2496 is then redbook. Even with the noise I will still do 2496 all the time.

Thanks again to all who responded.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Biggest problem with SACD and to some extent DVD-A, was admonition from ripping them to a PC at a time, when that was all the rage. It is the mass market which helps support these formats and without that feature, they would not come along.

At the time, I actually went and bough all the "Audio DVDs" (not to be confused with DVD-A) because I could rip those. High-end audio guys should have stayed with that format, rather than switching to DVD-A and SACD.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Biggest problem with SACD and to some extent DVD-A, was admonition from ripping them to a PC.....
An admonition is not necessarily a deterrent, Amir. At least, not for we 2ch guys, and not if one is willing to "settle" for PCM. Never tried multi-channel.

Yes, I own every SACD/DVD-A I rip.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
An admonition is not necessarily a deterrent, Amir. At least, not for we 2ch guys, and not if one is willing to "settle" for PCM. Never tried multi-channel.

Yes, I own every SACD/DVD-A I rip.
Well, it was at the time they were introduced. I recall DVD-A being the only one hacked at at the time through Creative player. SACD remained "secure" until its timing window had run out.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
What do you use to rip an SACD
Sorry, Steve, I've overstated my ability re: SACD i.e. I'm only ripping the CD layer. I've read posts on how ripping the SACD tracks is done, but they all involve bits of expensive gear. I can dig that up, if you wish.

HDAD's may also be ripped, but one loses the last bit, and they simply don't sound the same, IME.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Ouch! HDTracks and Pugent Sound would be named as well as they were fully aware?

When we first started doing this, we did not check the SACD's to see if they were hi-rez. It all came to a head when we ripped over a hundred BIS labeled discs and found out they were 24/44.1 upsampled discs. I think HDtracks is still fighting that one. Now we check each and every track that goes out of here since we've found discs that contain both hi-rez and upsampled data... Go figure..

Sorry, Steve, I've overstated my ability re: SACD i.e. I'm only ripping the CD layer. I've read posts on how ripping the SACD tracks is done, but they all involve bits of expensive gear. I can dig that up, if you wish.

To get the DSD layer off of a SACD, you will need 3 things.

Transport: Playback Designs MPS-5 via ST-optical out

Converter: EMM Lab ADC8 IV which accepts the ST-optical in and streams out DSD via SDIF-3

Capture: Pyramix MassCore DSD workstation via SDIF-3 in.

Another way we do it is to take the Playback Designs ST-optical stream directly into a Sonoma system.

Regards,

Last edited:

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal

Transport: we use the Playback Designs MPS-5 via ST-optical out

Converter: we use the EMM Lab ADC8 IV which accepts the ST-optical in and streams out DSD via SDIF-3

Capture: we use the Pyramix MassCore DSD workstation via SDIF-3 in.

Another way we do it is to take the Playback Designs ST-optical stream directly into a Sonoma system.

Regards,
Thanks, Bruce. May well have been a similar post of yours I've read on another forum.

'Tis a pity, too, since my PWT won't play SACD/DVD-A/HDAD and I'm forced to rip as I can to wav or flac. Digital out from my Modwright/Denon uni-player simply can't compete with the PWT. Level-matched and double-blind.

jimtavegia

Jul 21, 2010
Pushing aside the fact that Sony did not support the pressing of their own format, I still think the "dedicted player" is what killed SACD and DVD-A for the masses. Other than they find MP3s just swell. I wonder what would the landscape be like if Sony from the get-go created multi-layer discs, even if they ditched the MC from SACD. Maybe the manufacturing process was just too cumbersome for them. If every DVD player was like an OPPO, the world would be a much better place. lol Play them all and stop worrying.

What I like is that my DVD+R with 2496 pcm files will play on any DVD player know to man. No dedicated player...no problems for anyone I hand a disc to. HooRay!

Last edited:

propa

Dec 13, 2010
check the box

Interesting thread. It is very much to HDTracks credit that they check what they sell.

The key when buying SACDs is only to buy discs that state the recording resolution on the box. If they don't state it, ask the label first. If the SACD labels don't get their act together, this will just cause uncertainty and doubt, and the format will suffer.

I don't buy any BIS discs because they don't state their recording resolution ... and it is apparently just 44.1 kHz (24 bit).

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Converter: EMM Lab ADC8 IV which accepts the ST-optical in and streams out DSD via SDIF-3

Capture: Pyramix MassCore DSD workstation via SDIF-3 in.

And does that handle mch as well as stereo tracks?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Bruce,
A naive question - the MPS-5 output is SDIF-3 format? What is the purpose of the EMM Lab ADC8 IV?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing