Near-field listening - quality listening position or just wishful thinking?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Is near-field listening a true quality listening position or is it just about "wishing away" the bass waves?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

caesar

May 30, 2010
But don't the near-field listeners still get hit by the bass waves, but just a few (milli?)-seconds later?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The important thing is that when the reflections hit you they will be late enough for your brain to interpret them separately. They will also be in less amplitude relative to the direct sound due to their longer travel lengths. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm not a fan of near-field listening. Next thing you know, you will be wearing headphones and swearing binaural is the greatest thing you ever heard.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
The problem I have found with near-field listening is with speakers like EA MMThree's, you feel like two giant monoliths are towering over you. There also seems to be the issue of having to be far enough back for all of the drivers to blend together properly in such a tall speaker. Not to mention when being too close, the soundstage becomes a small circle in between the speakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It goes without saying that you'll be signing your death certificate if you bring a howitzer when dueling with pistols. Given the right speakers for the right circumstance, in this case a small space where treatment might not be applied for whatever reasons, it is the best bet. Just as there are people out there using speakers too big for their rooms, I've seen people use speakers forced to do things they were not designed to do. It's a painful thing to hear. I look at the straining loudspeakers and can't help but think of them as abused children in a Dickens novel.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am at about 2 mts away from my speakers, lots of room back of them, love how it sounds. There is an interesting thread at the experts forum from Tom BTW...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing