So I bought I pair of Rockports...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Ordered my new Rockport Altairs in a custom Porsche Topaz Brown Metallic finish. They are shipping now...will be here in a few days...Posting a pic before they were crated and packed.... my rockports.jpg

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
That's awesome! It's great when equipment sounds great and looks the part. I'm jealous Raccoon_Really_Really_Want.jpg

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Ordered my new Rockport Altairs in a custom Porsche Topaz Brown Metallic finish. They are shipping now...will be here in a few days...Posting a pic before they were crated and packed.... View attachment 9428

Nice John! Full report on differences between the Altair and Maxx after you've had it in your room for a while.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats, John!!!!

Man those are beautiful. Didn't know that Rockport came in anything but black... these are MUCH nicer!!!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Utterly gorgeous man!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nice John. Sure you'll get lots of hours of enjoyment out of those babies! :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wow! One of the best looking speakers I've seen to date! Love the colour combination. They would match well in my room!;)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Big CONGRATS .... she's a beaut !!!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks everyone ! I am very excited. My wife says I might be sleeping upstairs for a few months... !! I'll post more pictures as they arrive, get uncrated, set up etc. Then over the weeks (or months) as they break in & what I am noticing on the sound differences...

What I kept hearing in my evaluations before purchase was more transparency, more resolution, a coherency to the frequency response and just a precision to the timing. I do wonder if the Wilson's are better at dynamics and the height of the presentation. I am expecting to take a few steps ahead...and maybe a step or two back. The Wilson Maxx 3's are great speakers after all...

And btw, I'll soon be posting them up for sale...a great deal for someone...they are in perfect like new condition.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Ordered my new Rockport Altairs in a custom Porsche Topaz Brown Metallic finish. They are shipping now...will be here in a few days...Posting a pic before they were crated and packed....

John, with the Altair, does Rockport suggest you try the subwoofer inside and out to determine best position or do they specify subwoofer to the inside?

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I'm not John but I own the similar shaped Aquila. Andy Payor says that the speakers are designed to have the woofers (those are not subwoofers) on the inside - facing one another.

BTW - John I am deeply jealous. I promise you won't have any issue with dynamics.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks everyone ! I am very excited. My wife says I might be sleeping upstairs for a few months... !! I'll post more pictures as they arrive, get uncrated, set up etc. Then over the weeks (or months) as they break in & what I am noticing on the sound differences...

What I kept hearing in my evaluations before purchase was more transparency, more resolution, a coherency to the frequency response and just a precision to the timing. I do wonder if the Wilson's are better at dynamics and the height of the presentation. I am expecting to take a few steps ahead...and maybe a step or two back. The Wilson Maxx 3's are great speakers after all...

And btw, I'll soon be posting them up for sale...a great deal for someone...they are in perfect like new condition.

Congrats John! Great, great news. I have read incredibly good things about these, and i am a huge admirer of Rockport as you know who definitely make my 'all time fav' list.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John, with the Altair, does Rockport suggest you try the subwoofer inside and out to determine best position or do they specify subwoofer to the inside?
I'm not John but I own the similar shaped Aquila. Andy Payor says that the speakers are designed to have the woofers (those are not subwoofers) on the inside - facing one another.

BTW - John I am deeply jealous. I promise you won't have any issue with dynamics.

Hi Frank750, I just don't know yet....but I am guessing Lasercd knows what he is talking about...I would have guessed outside...but I haven't tried em yet and don't have the manual.

I love that dynamics promise too ! :)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Frank750, I just don't know yet....but I am guessing Lasercd knows what he is talking about...I would have guessed outside...but I haven't tried em yet and don't have the manual.

I love that dynamics promise too ! :)

Every demo of these speakers I have attended was with the woofers facing each other. And the sound, of course, is sublime. Great choice! Enjoy them.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011

Indeed, Andy does recommend inside for most applications. When my Aquila were incoming there was some concern (on my part) as to how they would do in my small room and after talking with Andy he recommended trying them with the woofers inside, but if that presented integration problems then by all means reverse the placement and give it a shot. Fortunately, there were no issues and everything worked out nicely. Proof positive that a big speaker can work in a small room :)

Jfrech: Congrats on your new speakers!! I'm confident that you'll love them!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
John, big congrats! I thought your system sounded wonderful when Lenny and I heard it. I hope these beauty's take your system where you are hoping it will.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing