Qualia Indigo

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

The ToneAudio review is here

Indigo looks like one of the best phono stages out there.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
$60k and no loading adjustments?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
With 69dB of gain, you shouldn't need a SUT except for mc cartridges that really have super low ouput. The reviewer used a Denon 103R which has .23mv output and it worked just dandy.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
With 69dB of gain, you shouldn't need a SUT except for mc cartridges that really have super low ouput. The reviewer used a Denon 103R which has .23mv output and it worked just dandy.

Without loading options, I cannot see how the sound would be optimal. Maybe I am missing something here.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Christian-From what I read of the review, this phono section was designed for mc cartridges which have a low impedance.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Christian-From what I read of the review, this phono section was designed for mc cartridges which have a low impedance.

But that shouldn't obviate having to load? Even something like the Air Tights that are around 1 ohm need to be loaded.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
But that shouldn't obviate having to load? Even something like the Air Tights that are around 1 ohm need to be loaded.

Myles-This $60K phono section loads the cartridge alright, it's just a fixed load that has to be *right* for the cartridge you are using. Personally, I think a fixed load for a phono preamp is a non-starter.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Since this phono stage works better with low impedance carts I wonder if it is a current amplifier instead of a voltage amplifier like most phono stages. I know of only a couple other phono stages that are current amplifiers. The ESE Labs Nibiru and Aqvox phono. I had the ESE Labs Nibiru for awhile and it also had no loading adjustments. The designer said they were not necessary with his design. I did not really find a need to adjust the loading with the Nibiru but since it did not have any option to do so I'm not sure if it would have helped any.

I would not spend $60k on a phono amp with only 1 MC input and no MM option personally. Especially when you are limited to low impedance designs as well. I really dislike not having options.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I looked at the Qualia website and it says it uses current mode amplification as I suspected. This would explain why you need to use a low impedance cart. From what I understand the higher the impedance of the cart the lower the output will be. This also explains why there is no need for loading adjustment. With current mode amplification supposedly there is no need for it.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I looked at the Qualia website and it says it uses current mode amplification as I suspected. This would explain why you need to use a low impedance cart. From what I understand the higher the impedance of the cart the lower the output will be. This also explains why there is no need for loading adjustment. With current mode amplification supposedly there is no need for it.

It's an interesting albeit ridiculously priced phono stage. The Ypsilon is half the price and could be the reference standard using their optional SUT' for whatever load you require. Personally, I like loading on the active stage itself.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It's an interesting albeit ridiculously priced phono stage. The Ypsilon is half the price and could be the reference standard using their optional SUT' for whatever load you require. Personally, I like loading on the active stage itself.

Agree. The price is insane. The billet enclosures are nice but probably account for $3k of the cost to build it. I wonder what the signal to noise ratio is on this unit. It does not say in the specs. My Nibiru was not that good in that department. It was ok for it's price range but I'm sure there are better.

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis

This is the same principle as the BMC MCCI. The BMC is a fantastic stage. . .the Qualia is almost 20 times the price. Hmmm. . .

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Here is a look at some Qualia gear:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
My concern about the Ypsilon besides it's price is that it is built in the world's economic stronghold...Greece. ;)

Part of the financial problem in Greece is too many businesses don't enough pay taxes. Too much income goes under reported.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing