Herzan/Table Stable "Active" Isolation table.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
i could not help myself, resistance is futile.

i've ordered another Herzan for either my darTZeel preamp, or my Playback Designs MPS-5.....i'll try it in each spot. likely under the dart pre is where it will reside long term to optimize vinyl playback as that is where my focus is.

i'll have the TS-150 late this week or early next week.

You dog you !!! I bet you can stack components on them, like phono stage and main Pre gain stages on one shelf, perhaps with each component separated by stillpoint ultra SS's.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm certainly going to avail myself of a loan. I'll try it on top tier my 3 level Symposium where the tt currently resides to see how active and passive mix. This isn't really recommended so I'll then try an active shelf on a single lightweight spiked tier at floor level, hopefully combined weight of active shelf and tt of 70kg will mass load to the floor sufficiently. My main issue is that it's taken literally hours and hours to maximise my current setup on the Symposium, and if this unravels a little even on re-siting, it may defeat the whole object of the demo (will have to move tt/arm, motor, airhose, cart wiring, Straingauge energiser box). Will I end up with a subpar setup to compare a SOTA component?

In hi-end audio the best is yet to come. ...No pain no gain.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Mike and Christian,

I feel I must apologize to you for steering the course of discussion away from your Herzan. This thread has become an "active versus passive" isolation debate. That was not my intention when I decided to contribute a few posts. These are different technologies at far different price points. I am not technically inclined and don't want to make any claims about how these things work. I just wanted to clear up some statements about the passives that were inaccurate regarding degrees (directions) of isolation and so forth.

In the case of my particular passively isolated SME turntable: The platter/plinth are suspended to isolate them from the vibrations created from the motor. Defeating this function so that a non-isolated SME can rest on a passive isolation device seems counterproductive. I have noticed positive results with my custom, and system dependent, solution as I have previously described and do not want to imply that my particular solution is better than an alternative active one. Someday when I am willing to make the purchase, I may compare the two in my specific system and change solutions.

Until then, I hope that this thread returns to the subject of your Herzan and the benefits of active isolation. There is no doubt that you are both very happy with your devices and the resulting sonic improvements to your respective systems.

I'm sorry for the diversion.

No apology needed Peter. I learned a lot more about passive isolation as a result of this thread.

Same here! ...Furthermore, it is by bringing other devices (comparison) that you learn more on the product directly related to this thread.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

i've ordered another Herzan for either my darTZeel preamp, or my Playback Designs MPS-5.....i'll try it in each spot. likely under the dart pre is where it will reside long term to optimize vinyl playback as that is where my focus is.

Wow, I just came back in the mansion after cutting the grass and watering the trees and flowers, and I'm reading this!
Way to go Mike! :b

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Same here! ...Furthermore, it is by bringing other devices (comparison) that you learn more on the product directly related to this thread.

I'm looking forward to Mikey's opinion of active isolation on components other than turntables. From my experience with stillpoints, the greatest improvement for me happened with the power amps. Phono stage was next, followed by the main Pre amp.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, it IS pain when you're trying to afford the perfect pair of SET monoblocks AND POSSIBLY active isolation. How misguided I was thinking my last purchase (Soundsmith Straingauge cart) was going to be my last. What I find interesting is that NO passive racks I had auditioned ever made any significant improvement over my previous low tech rack...UNTIL i tried the Symposium Isis. I can't gauge if this means that isolation is or isn't an issue in my room (if it is, how come no other racks like the Grand Prix Monaco sold themselves?). Power, however, was another matter, with every upgrade (basic mains to dedicated spur to audiophile conditioner to overkill balanced power to addition of dedicated component grounding) proving a significant improvement.
I live in a rock solid 1930s reinforced concrete industrial loft apartment building with solid floors which is a pretty inert listening environment, no listing/yawing I think, 3 floors up. Even when a new housing estate was being built opposite over a couple of years, I detected no subsonic feedback in my system from piling, hammering, drilling etc. I also do most of my listening during the day when neighbours are out. So I've got a reasonable chance that environmental subsonic noise is not the major issue it could be. Hence, at the trial of active isolation, I will be gobsmacked if one of these shelves demonstrates subsonics are major issues by eliminating them well beyond what the Symposium does. Possibly movement in floors could be an issue (suspended timber over concrete substructure)
Price is a major issue, and the tenor of what Mike and Christian are suggesting is that ALL components could benefit massively, not just source components. I can just forsee stretching to isolating my tt and cd, but NO way could I afford shelves for psu's, preamp, 2 monoblocks, balanced transformer, grounding box etc. Passive Symposium has been delightfully beneficial, but even that was a stretch financially.
Mike, PLEASE let us know of your experience putting a Herzan under the cd and/or preamp. If the improvement is commensurate with the NVS, how can you stop yourself not extending shelves to your monoblocks?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Bear in mind Mike and Christian that these instruments were designed for electron microscopy where motion of only a micron or less affects what you see. These were not designed for use under a TT even though they have proved to be excellent. Having said that and notwithstanding the fact that the Herzan works in 6 planes vs the Vibraplane BUT for my understanding of the science and how and what it is now being used for, I feel this comment by Spiritofmusic might just ring true....

Maybe not originally, however Halcyonic / Silencer advertise that their's is for audio components and have a 10 page pdf doc on it - see link. They are clearly looking to an untapped market

http://www.accurion.com/Silencer

http://www.silencer-audio.de/download/100319_Silencer_EN.pdf

dp-silencer.28007.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

I will throw myself on the grenade and humbly offer to go over to Mike's and see if the Herzans really make a difference. Once again, completely altruistic on my part :D

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I will throw myself on the grenade and humbly offer to go over to Mike's and see if the Herzans really make a difference. Once again, completely altruistic on my part :D

thanks Jazz, I knew I could count on you when the going got tough. when I know the eta i'll get in touch.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Mike, if I have to come to your place to confirm what everything you've already said and discovered, then I'll invest my time and money just for the sake of it.
But I trust that you trust me when I''m saying that I have full trust in what you're saying. ...Anything else is pure fun. :b

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

What is the msrp of the smaller TS 150's ? TIA.

$10k.

mine will arrive tomorrow. looking forward to seeing how far it will take things.

with my NVS turntable the 'cable effect' on the degree of isolation was neglidgable. no heavy stiff cables were involved. some lightweight umbilicals to the power supply and some phono cables is all.

my preamp has some stiff cables attached (the pre-to-amp and PD to pre Evolution BNC's particularly) so we'll see how i will have to somehow 'float' those a bit to optimize the performance.

on the Playback Designs digital i do have some stiff Evolution BNC's also to the pre.

the cable effect might not be a big deal in performance but i won't know until i investigate.

i have not had to worry about floating cables to optimize isolation since i used Aurios 10 years ago.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
$10k.

mine will arrive tomorrow. looking forward to seeing how far it will take things.

with my NVS turntable the 'cable effect' on the degree of isolation was neglidgable. no heavy stiff cables were involved. some lightweight umbilicals to the power supply and some phono cables is all.

my preamp has some stiff cables attached (the pre-to-amp and PD to pre Evolution BNC's particularly) so we'll see how i will have to somehow 'float' those a bit to optimize the performance.

on the Playback Designs digital i do have some stiff Evolution BNC's also to the pre.

the cable effect might not be a big deal in performance but i won't know until i investigate.

i have not had to worry about floating cables to optimize isolation since i used Aurios 10 years ago.

Cable effect ? Are you saying that If the Cable, say from the tonearm touches the TS 140, you need to float them ? How do you do that ? Strings attached to the ceiling ?

I'm thinking of doing my amps first with 150's, since I found with stillpoints, using them under the amps provided the greatest bang in sound improvement vs my phono and main Pre.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Cable effect ? Are you saying that If the Cable, say from the tonearm touches the TS 140, you need to float them ? How do you do that ? Strings attached to the ceiling ?

I'm thinking of doing my amps first with 150's, since I found with stillpoints, using them under the amps provided the greatest bang in sound improvement vs my phono and main Pre.

cable managment is explained by Herzan here;

http://www.herzan.com/resources/tutorials/cable-management.html

although Herzan does not really cover the whole 'cable effect' issue in their tutorial. besides 'parasitic noise' the bigger issue to me is that a stiff cable will dampen the isolation shelf's ability to respond and lower the degree of isolation....'hence' floating the cables (as you mention) as opposed to the Herzan recommendation of using weight to dampen them.

as far as 'how to float the cables' there are a few different approaches. and yes, strings from the ceiling is one of them. typically all you need to do is 'un-weight' them in some way....such as place something flexible underneath the cables on rollers, or maybe build a little stiff wire cage and suspend the cables on bungees. you don't need alot of float, just enough so it allows the gear to be able to have play on top of the shelf. but if the cables are really stiff and un-yeilding don't bother with a Herzan shelf as it will be compromised.

for my 7.5 meter heavy Evolution Cables between my pre and amp i will simply need to raise those cables up high enough so there is some give between that high point and where they attach to the pre so the 'weight' of the cables is not too much on the preamp.

since my dart preamp is around 50 pounds cables will not have as much effect on it on the Herzan as a lighter piece of gear.

in any case, whatever it takes to remove the negative effect of cables as much as possible.

at least my power cords are not an issue as they are the Absolute Fidelity that are light and flexible.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

as far as your amps, you might consider the AVI series instead of the TS series.

http://www.herzan.com/products/active-vibration-control/avi-series.html

you can get 2 AVI 200M modules with a controller which has a 660 pound capacity, and then buy a granite shelf that will fit both your amps for half the cost of 2 TS-150's. talk to Reid about it. i investigated it for my 458's. it 'only' attenuates to 1 hz, but otherwise has the same performance, and you don't need leveling or the LCD screen for amps.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
as far as your amps, you might consider the AVI series instead of the TS series.

http://www.herzan.com/products/active-vibration-control/avi-series.html

you can get 2 AVI 200M modules with a controller which has a 660 pound capacity, and then buy a granite shelf that will fit both your amps for half the cost of 2 TS-150's. talk to Reid about it. i investigated it for my 458's. it 'only' attenuates to 1 hz, but otherwise has the same performance, and you don't need leveling or the LCD screen for amps.

That looks like a cumbersome solution space wise. I have Adona zero GXT amp stands. The TS 150 dimensions are perfect for the spacing of the feet on the amps and fit perfectly on the stands. I guess you need to pay for neat and tidy.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
That looks like a cumbersome solution space wise. I have Adona zero GXT amp stands. The TS 150 dimensions are perfect for the spacing of the feet on the amps and fit perfectly on the stands. I guess you need to pay for neat and tidy.

put the amps on the floor where god intended them to be.:D

save $10k

then sell the nice amp stands.

and then when you change amps (and you will), worst case is you get a different granite shelf. you don't want to choose amps based on the footprint of your TS-150.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
That's right; you choose your amps based on your speakers, <=> and preamp.

Yah Christian, when are you going to swap out those crappy amps of your's?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing