The Search

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yesterday, Although it was RSD, I attended my local record show. As usual, I had my want list and as usual, most went unfilled. However, I did score a couple of great LP's. While I was there, I got talking to one of the dealers who told me that he has searched for a couple of LP's for nearly 20 years with no success!
One of the LP's was the Living Presence Mercury LP Hi Fi A La Espanola. Another is a clean copy of the LP Chuck Berry 'One Dozen Berry's'.
I noted that on my short list were these two LP's and a clean copy of Soultrane on the original Bergenfield prestige label...to which he says that he has that LP and to my amazement gives me a great price...sometimes the search is easier than other's:D

Here's my current short list:

1) Original UK Harvest recording of DSOTM

2) Mercury Hi Fi A La Espanola

3) Original clean Bergenfield Prestige Miles Davis.. Walkin and Smokin.

4) Gentle Giant vertigo UK pressing

5) Beatles 1st state Butcher album

6) Black Sabbath, Master of reality with four fold poster on Vertigo UK pressing.

7) Chuck Berry "One dozen Berry's"

and a few more, but these are keeping me going.

To the record collector's out there, what's on your current search list?

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Davey!

This is an interesting thread, but I'm going to respond with a slightly different approach. Unlike many people, I don't have the patience or stamina to look for pressings that are considered to be the defining examples. I also have a very small wallet that precludes me from even entertaining such a search. If I had both there would be no doubt that acquiring something like the original UK Harvest of DSOTM and/or Tubular Bells would be high on my list.

Instead, my search is focusing (to some degree) on LIVE RECORDINGS. I simply love them, warts and all, and I hope that my search for them uncovers some gems in time. Having said that, I also hope that we get to see more reissues on high quality vinyl.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Back in the day, before smart phones and the like, I used to carry a tattered handwritten couple of legal pad pages around with me with vinyl that was on my 'list.' Maybe it is a weakness of mind, but my mind goes blank sometimes when I am in a record store; I only remember later what I didn't search for.
A few of those on your list are rather pricey. (ahem). But, you never know. I know guys that have done 'barn finds' of extremely valuable cars that they bought, if not for almost nothing, then damn close given their real value. And, it is great fun, the search itself.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have the reissue copy of Tubular Bells that Myles turned me onto and it is fantastic. I have multiple copies DSOTM and I'm content with what I have. I should have been content with the existing copies of Crime of the Century I have before I sunk $225 into the UHQR copy I just bought (anyone interested?). John-as for reissues, there are tons of great LPs being reissued every month. And for all of you Beatles lovers, you really should buy the BC-13 Blue Box set before they are priced in the stratosphere. The BC-13 collection maybe the last version of Beatles LPs that will have been cut from tape.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have the reissue copy of Tubular Bells that Myles turned me onto and it is fantastic. I have multiple copies DSOTM and I'm content with what I have. I should have been content with the existing copies of Crime of the Century I have before I sunk $225 into the UHQR copy I just bought (anyone interested?). John-as for reissues, there are tons of great LPs being reissued every month. And for all of you Beatles lovers, you really should buy the BC-13 Blue Box set before they are priced in the stratosphere. The BC-13 collection maybe the last version of Beatles LPs that will have been cut from tape.

What re-issue is that? I have the 200g Classic Records....and it sucks! Noisy as hell. :mad:

Oh I know about the new releases, but not everything grabs my attention......

mep

Apr 20, 2010
What re-issue is that? I have the 200g Classic Records....and it sucks! Noisy as hell. :mad:

Oh I know about the new releases, but not everything grabs my attention......

I will have to go look.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mine is the Classic Records 200 gram QUIEX SV-P. I don't remember mine as being noisy. I hate noisy records. It gives vinyl haters a reason to laugh at us.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Mine is the Classic Records 200 gram QUIEX SV-P. I don't remember mine as being noisy. I hate noisy records. It gives vinyl haters a reason to laugh at us.

That's the same one I have. Damn! I obviously got a bad copy....

I'm gonna give it another clean and try it again....don't know if it'll help, but worth a shot. Love that album........

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I already own lots of the "dark side" and listen to it regularly.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You guys should switch to the dark side; life's much easier & simple. :D ...You know which side I'm talkin' about.

Easy and simple is no fun tough. Kinda boring actually! :p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Simplicity of life is happiness.

The time spent simply and freely at listening to what we love is equal to the time we enjoy when playing. ...The more we listen and play the higher the level of happiness.
People on 'the darker side' have more time to listen and play.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That sounds like something Ghandi would say or some others, who's names escape me, as I'm too busy cleaning my vinyl. With that admission I guess I'm less happy as I don't have time to enjoy the sound of a screeching spinning metal disc as it decides in what order to put to 0's and 1'.... ROFLMAO!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Back in the day, before smart phones and the like, I used to carry a tattered handwritten couple of legal pad pages around with me with vinyl that was on my 'list.' Maybe it is a weakness of mind, but my mind goes blank sometimes when I am in a record store; I only remember later what I didn't search for.
A few of those on your list are rather pricey. (ahem). But, you never know. I know guys that have done 'barn finds' of extremely valuable cars that they bought, if not for almost nothing, then damn close given their real value. And, it is great fun, the search itself.

I used to do the same thing with a notepad. Nowadays, i use my iphone. Which also is an invaluable tool for a Buyer, when you are trying to remember the value for an LP . For example,the ebay app is great for doing a little research before plunking down the cash. Saved me a couple of times at this last show:D

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Back in the day, before smart phones and the like, I used to carry a tattered handwritten couple of legal pad pages around with me with vinyl that was on my 'list.'

i used to do the same thing but i'd shrink the print to 8 pt so it would fold up and fit in my wallet. nowadays i see guys at the local wine emporium running around with their lists, it takes me right back to those days with record collecting except the stakes are higher, the wine they're after starts at a 100 bones a bottle.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Off the top of my head:

a. Black label original pressing of Coltrane's "Giant Steps" on Atlantic

b. 1st pressing mono Coltrane's "Crescent" on Impulse

c. Clean 1st pressing "The Cats" by Tommy Flanagan and Coltrane

d. Clean copy Flip Phillips' "Rock with Flip" on Norgran

e. Mint export version of Rolling Stones "Out of Our Heads" on Decca unboxed red label

f. Clean original pressing "Monk's Music" on Prestige

g. Clean original mono copy "Leroy Walks" by Leroy Vinnegar on Contemporary

h. Mono 6 eyes "Friday Night at the Blackhawk" and "Saturday Night at the Blackhawk" by Miles Davis

The actual list is so much longer....

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
i know collecting anything is personal, but why Hi Fi A La Espanola?

Couple of reasons.... 1) it's rare and 2) supposedly has great sonics, although I have not heard it. Anyone here have an original copy? Thoughts?

jazdoc, that's a solid list.These days even the G and G- pressings of most of the jazz stuff is highly collectable. It sure is a LOT harder finding Mint and Mint- original pressings of jazz..:(

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Couple of reasons.... 1) it's rare and 2) supposedly has great sonics, although I have not heard it. Anyone here have an original copy? Thoughts?

jazdoc, that's a solid list.These days even the G and G- pressings of most of the jazz stuff is highly collectable. It sure is a LOT harder finding Mint and Mint- original pressings of jazz..:(

I've been having a bad run of luck on Ebay :( . But as the thread title implies, 'the search' is part of the joy and pain of collecting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing