Review Brinkmann Balance

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, I'm joining the Brinkmann club as well- but only a lowly Bardo :)

I can't wait- it's my favorite turntable and I finally got a great opportunity to purchase one.

Reactions: ghn5ue

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Back to this old review, as there are not many Brinkmann users here.

But maybe someone made some further comparisons between the big belt driven Balance (or 25th Anniversary) or La Grange and the directdrive models like Oasis (or 10th Anniversary) or even the new big directdrive Taurus.
I had a Balance with Breuer tonearm in the past, and should have kept it, it was one of my biggest failures to sell it way too early…
But now I hesitate with one of the smaller directdrive models, with a secret plan for the further future in mind: to pair it with a Kuzma SAFIR….
Any informations? Can the directdrive models really sing and has drive and prat? Or just boring and neutral?

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Back to this old review, as there are not many Brinkmann users here.

But maybe someone made some further comparisons between the big belt driven Balance (or 25th Anniversary) or La Grange and the directdrive models like Oasis (or 10th Anniversary) or even the new big directdrive Taurus.
I had a Balance with Breuer tonearm in the past, and should have kept it, it was one of my biggest failures to sell it way too early…
But now I hesitate with one of the smaller directdrive models, with a secret plan for the further future in mind: to pair it with a Kuzma SAFIR….
Any informations? Can the directdrive models really sing and has drive and prat? Or just boring and neutral?
I had a good chat to Mattias from Brinkmann along these lines at one of the shows recently.

His view boiled down to the Taurus is a small step up from Oasis/Bardo but Oasis/Bardo with Ront II/III comfortably outperforms a Taurus with the standard power supply.

He'd been happily using a Taurus/Ront wondering at the point of moving back to a Balance. When he did finally get around to reinstalling a Balance he said it was sort of like relaxing, not a big difference, it just sounds a little more right - I noticed a genuine dreamy smile as he said that

The Oasis is more resolving in my setup than the SP10mk2 I had previously though it was sensitive to setup and placement. While not the last word in TTs I'd doubt you'd find a Brinkmann DD boring

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing