Review Brinkmann Balance

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Review: Brinkmann Balance

Review of the Brinkmann Balance Turntable

Prior starting the review, a word of introduction about myself. I am a quite conservative ‘no non sense’ audiophile. I am a ‘plug and forget it’ kind of guy and constant tweaking is not for me. I also tend to keep each component for at least 10 years in my system. Therefore each new acquisition is the result of a lengthy process based on auditions in my audio room.

About 2 years ago, I started the renewal of my almost 15-year-old setup (at the time: Infinity IRS Epsilon in active bi-amping mode driven by 2 Krell KSA 200S, Krell KRC HR preamp + Krell KPE Reference phono, dCS Delius/Purcell DAC/upsampler + CEC TL1X drive and a Michell Orbe turntable).

I have now completed the journey and my new set up is described here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/member.php?3309-dcc. Though I wanted to achieve significant improvements compared to my previous setup, I also wanted to have a relatively less complex and more compact system (single box vs. 3 boxes digital rig, no more bi-amping, less cables, etc.). As the audio room is also the living room, the motto was: every component should fit within the confined space of the 2 Infinite Elemente racks without further invasion in the room.

In October 2012, I acquired a new CD/SACD player (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8779-Audio-Aero-La-Source-Pre-Transport-DAC/page2), which was in the lower range of the budget I had allocated for. A buddy also expressed some interest in acquiring my Michell turntable. I therefore went hunting for a new turntable.

This would be my ‘ultimate turntable’ but I did not want to go exotic (air bearings etc.). I was looking for a simple but highly musical turntable from a reputable manufacturer. I decided to look for a non-suspended design. My listening room is relatively immune from vibration. The floor is a big thick slab of concrete and the walls are made of bricks. You could be jumping right by the audio rack without any impact. The Michell Orbe is a suspended turntable and I found that it was sometimes too mellow and lacking precision.

Living in a country where vinyl audio still remains in the dark ages, auditioning and comparing high end tables is just mission impossible as most dealers don’t have high end turntables in their show rooms. You therefore need to rely on audiophile friends, shows, reviews and forums to form an opinion.

I drew the following shortlist from Europe based manufacturers (mark ups on US products are just becoming insane):
  • TW Raven AC
  • Brinkmann Balance
  • Clearaudio Master Innovation
  • Simon Yorke S7 or S10

I excluded the Clearaudio from a purely esthetical point of view. I know that it has nothing to do with audiophile rationale but I found it too flashy for sitting in my living room.

I unfortunately discovered that the sole dealer who carries TW in my country is unreliable. I did not want to deal with a guy who let me down big time when I was on the search for a new digital front end.

I was therefore left with the Simon Yorke and the Brinkmann. The Brinkmann has been in production for more than 25 years with regular upgrades. It has been highly praised by some reviewers (http://www.stereophile.com/content/brinkmann-balance-turntable2, http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/brinkmann/balance.html). The Simon Yorke is also highly praised and can be sourced directly from Simon who resides in Spain. He will even come to your place for the set up.

A very close friend has the Simon Yorke S7. He also hesitated with the Balance. He took the Simon Yorke as he was able to strike a very good deal with Simon Yorke. The Simon Yorke is an exquisite table. I was able to compare the build quality of the Simon Yorke vs. the Brinkmann and clearly there is no match. The Brinkmann is far superior.

I had the opportunity to listen to the Brinkmann Bardo and Oasis turntables but never the top of the range Balance.

My audio dealer carries Brinkmann and arranged a personal meeting with Helmut Brinkmann. I met a very humble and somewhat shy gentleman. When discussing the merits of his design as well as the choice of tonearm and cartridge, he kindly suggested keeping my current tonearm and cartridge and gradually upgrading ‘should I feel the need to’. Knowing that Helmut Brinkmann also builds tonearms and cartridges, I was quite impressed by his integrity. He recommended acquiring the optional tubed power supply. He also informed me that he did not have a Balance rightly available and that he would need starting building one for me. I confirmed my order. I was informed some weeks later that it would be the first Balance fitted with the new motor based on the design of the direct drive motor used in the Bardo and the Oasis turntables. This would however require some additional weeks of patience.

Finally in late February, the turntable landed. Together with the dealer, we spent the whole afternoon assembling the unit. The table is mounted on a Symposium Super Plus platform sitting on the top of the Finite Elemente audio rack. The Turntable is equipped with two power supplies. The first SS power supply maintains the oil of the bearing at a constant temperature of 65° Celsius. It can also drive the motor. The second optional unit is a tubed power supply for the motor. I decided to first try the turntable with the sole SS power supply and plug the tubed power supply at a later stage so I could have a good comparison basis for assessing the improvements.

Currently, the turntable is fitted with the venerable SME V tonearm and a Koetsu Black cartridge from my previous setup. The phono stage is a Brinkmann Fein, which I acquired about one year ago. I was therefore in a position to assess the improvements brought by the sole turntable design.

I was not expecting such changes. The improvements are dramatic. Compared to my previous rig, the Brinkmann has lifted a veil:
  • Deeper and larger soundstage
  • Impressive dynamics
  • More precision
  • Bass control – deep and tight - enabling the Krells’ iron fist to demonstrate their full capabilities
  • Less noise
  • Neutrality but still on the ‘warm side’

A week later, I plugged in the tubed power supply. A sense of additional control and precision was brought in the analog set up. This has however a down side: playing poorly recorded vinyls is just unbearable.

Listening both to classical and rock/indie rock music is an equal joy. I however discovered that sometimes with rock music, I am better off using the Nordost Krell Cast interconnect cables between the pre-amp and power amps instead of the Argento Flow (the switch is easily performed by just flicking a switch on the power amps).

I am extremely pleased with this acquisition. I also know that considerable improvements can be brought in by some future upgrades. Possible upgrades that I am contemplating for the coming years are:
  • New phono cables - I am tempted by the Furutech Silver Arrows to replace the current VDH MCD 501
  • New cartridge - I am biased and I would certainly stay within the Koetsu family, more probably a Jade Platinum
  • New phono stage - I will certainly test the Brinkmann top of the range Edison

The SME V tonearm (short version) works pretty well with the Balance and is highly dynamic. I am therefore not considering any change at this stage though the Brinkmann can be fitted with a 12-inch tonearm.

Any suggestion or feedback on the above possible upgrades is welcome and highly appreciated.

Finally, I got a custom made dust cover from a local workshop.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Indeed! What a wonderful review and congratulations on your new acquisition(s). I had not heard of a unit with a tubed power supply before. Interesting.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Wonderful review and congratulations. I've heard the Balance twice and though I could not really isolate the sound from other components in those systems, those systems sounded fantastic. I'm sure a big part of the sound resulted from the information retrieval from the two front ends. I also enjoyed your review. It is well written and the links and photographs make it very comprehensive.

You asked for some feedback on you possible upgrades. I'm not familiar with the components you mention so I have nothing to add there. But I can comment on you tonearm. I found the performance of my old SME V improved when I removed the finger lift from the headshell. I also used a MINT LP arc protractor for slightly better alignment than the SME paper templet.

I have an SME table and conducted an extensive comparison between my old SME V arm and my new 12" SME V-12. I much prefer the the latter. I provides an overall smoother, more natural and refined presentation. Detail is more evident and it has better retrieval of ambient information like the size and character of the recording space. I think this is because of the lower tracking error. Some people say that the 9" version is slightly faster and with more impact, but I did not hear this. My cartridge, the Air Tight Supreme, at 12.5g, is the ideal weight for the V-12 because it allows the counterweight to be moved all the way in toward the pivot point (with all of the extra ballast weights installed) and this reduces the moment of inertia for the arm and allows for quicker response. If you can arrange it, I suggest you try to audition the V-12 for comparison. Your results with a Koetsu may be different.

I also wonder about the placement of your turntable right in the corner of hard walls. Are you noticing any feedback through the system? Perhaps you could try to reverse the two racks so that the CDP is in the corner and the turntable is slightly removed.

Thank you again for the very interesting review. Enjoy your system.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations...on a nice review and a FANTASTIC TT !! I've heard Peter's SME V-12 a few times...

I used to own a Finite Elemente stand and before that several Symposium Ultra Shelves. Both are great items. I wonder about Cerepuc's or Cerebase's under that stand....Cerabase's were a major upgrade for my F.E. Master Reference stand...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes John, but not in my system on MY table. Come by sometime. You know you are invited.

I know I know I need to get there! I was in NYC last week...but couldn't get away to get up to Boston...hope things are calming down btw and no loved ones or friends got hurt

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I know I know I need to get there! I was in NYC last week...but couldn't get away to get up to Boston...hope things are calming down btw and no loved ones or friends got hurt

Thanks John, We are all fine, though the tragedy still does effect us all. The city was shut down on Friday and my visit to the BSO concert was postponed a week. A relatively minor inconvenience.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Dear All,

Many thanks for the kind replies and suggestions.

I found the performance of my old SME V improved when I removed the finger lift from the headshell. I also used a MINT LP arc protractor for slightly better alignment than the SME paper templet.

I have an SME table and conducted an extensive comparison between my old SME V arm and my new 12" SME V-12. I much prefer the the latter. I provides an overall smoother, more natural and refined presentation. Detail is more evident and it has better retrieval of ambient information like the size and character of the recording space. I think this is because of the lower tracking error. Some people say that the 9" version is slightly faster and with more impact, but I did not hear this. My cartridge, the Air Tight Supreme, at 12.5g, is the ideal weight for the V-12 because it allows the counterweight to be moved all the way in toward the pivot point (with all of the extra ballast weights installed) and this reduces the moment of inertia for the arm and allows for quicker response. If you can arrange it, I suggest you try to audition the V-12 for comparison. Your results with a Koetsu may be different.

I also wonder about the placement of your turntable right in the corner of hard walls. Are you noticing any feedback through the system? Perhaps you could try to reverse the two racks so that the CDP is in the corner and the turntable is slightly removed.

I had a long discussion with my dealer about a short vs. a long arm. He is claiming that what I would gain in precision might be lost in dynamic. Unfortunately auditioning a SME V 12 or getting one on loan is just impossible. I might however get a 12 inch from the Brinkmann distributor. This will also require changing the arm base and the arm plate which is not cheap. I will definitely consider this option after all the different upgrades I am contemplating.

I will certainly investigate the protractor option as I have always been using the SME template.

With regard to potential feedback in the system, I have had 3 different turntables over the last 17 years at the same place and never noticed any feedback (even at the time I had the Infinity IRS that were a dipole design) though I tend to listen at 'realistic' levels. Actually, the loudspeakers are quite away from the back-walls. In addition, the walls are made of 19th century hand made bricks that are forming a very uneven surface. It somehow provides a quite effective accoustic treatment.

I used to own a Finite Elemente stand and before that several Symposium Ultra Shelves. Both are great items. I wonder about Cerepuc's or Cerebase's under that stand....Cerabase's were a major upgrade for my F.E. Master Reference stand...

Lifting all this gear again... :D

I got some significant improvement with Solidtech Feet of Silence under the Audio Aéro player. I still have some spare HRS and Symposium decouplers that I will test between the Symposium platform and the Finite Elemente. I have already tried those with the preamp but without any tangible result.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
For whatever reason, the SME 312S tonearm doesn't seem to get much press. Maybe because it isn't expensive enough at around $4K. Maybe because it has a detachable headshell that allows for azimuth adjustment. IMO, this arm sounds great and once you hear a really good 12" arm, you won't want to go back to a 9" arm.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
For whatever reason, the SME 312S tonearm doesn't seem to get much press. Maybe because it isn't expensive enough at around $4K. Maybe because it has a detachable headshell that allows for azimuth adjustment. IMO, this arm sounds great and once you hear a really good 12" arm, you won't want to go back to a 9" arm.

According to those who have compared it directly to the V-12, the V-12 is better, though at a substantial price increase.

I did compare my old SME 309 (on which the 312S is based) to my SME V, and the V was better.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have not heard the V-12, so I can't say it's better or worse than the 312S. If memory serves me correctly, the V-12 is like the SME V arm in that the headshell isn't detachable and you can't adjust azimuth which is a non-starter for lots of people. All I'm saying is that I think the 312S is one hell of a bargain in terms of what it brings to the table (pun intended), especially compared to 9" arms regardless of cost.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have not heard the V-12, so I can't say it's better or worse than the 312S. If memory serves me correctly, the V-12 is like the SME V arm in that the headshell isn't detachable and you can't adjust azimuth which is a non-starter for lots of people. All I'm saying is that I think the 312S is one hell of a bargain in terms of what it brings to the table (pun intended), especially compared to 9" arms regardless of cost.

I've heard Albert Porter's system with 312s and then a V-12...those arms are impressive. Peter has the 9 and 12 inch experience documented...so seems like SME has a 12 inch that's hard to beat...plus Albert has had the opportunity to compare it to other arms...seems like the SME 12 keeps coming up tops in those 2 systems at least...and ears we can trust in...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I've heard Albert Porter's system with 312s and then a V-12...those arms are impressive. Peter has the 9 and 12 inch experience documented...so seems like SME has a 12 inch that's hard to beat...plus Albert has had the opportunity to compare it to other arms...seems like the SME 12 keeps coming up tops in those 2 systems at least...and ears we can trust in...

I bought the 312S arm based on Albert's recommendation. Albert told me it is a great arm and I agree. I have never once regretted buying this arm. The 312S has a purity that I have found lacking in all other pivoted arms that I have owned and I have owned quite a few over the years. This is the only arm that didn't make me run back to my ET-2 arm which is pure across the entire record surface.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Congratulations dcc.

That is a fine Turntable system. I recently set one of those up that included the tube power supply. The owner has a PC1 Supreme and uses the Brinkman tonearm (the 10.5 if my memory serves me correctly). Once I finished that setup of that turntable system, it was extremely enjoyable sounding.

When the time comes for considering a tonearm change, I think you would be well served to place the Brinkmann tonearms along with whatever else you may try. They perform very good with that table. Of course with all things audio, personal preference must be factored into the equation.

Congratulations again on a fine addition to your system.

Dre

Review of the Brinkmann Balance Turntable

Prior starting the review, a word of introduction about myself. I am a quite conservative ‘no non sense’ audiophile. I am a ‘plug and forget it’ kind of guy and constant tweaking is not for me. I also tend to keep each component for at least 10 years in my system. Therefore each new acquisition is the result of a lengthy process based on auditions in my audio room.

About than 2 years ago, I started the renewal of my almost 15-year-old setup (at the time: Infinity IRS Epsilon in active bi-amping mode driven by 2 Krell KSA 200S, Krell KRC HR preamp + Krell KPE Reference phono, dCS Delius/Purcell DAC/upsampler + CEC TL1X drive and a Michell Orbe turntable).

I have now completed the journey and my new set up is described here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/member.php?3309-dcc. Though I wanted to achieve significant improvements compared to my previous setup, I also wanted to have a relatively less complex and more compact system (single box vs. 3 boxes digital rig, no more bi-amping, less cables, etc.). As the audio room is also the living room, the motto was: every component should fit within the confined space of the 2 Infinite Elemente racks without further invasion in the room.

In October 2012, I acquired a new CD/SACD player (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8779-Audio-Aero-La-Source-Pre-Transport-DAC/page2), which was in the lower range of the budget I had allocated for. A buddy also expressed some interest in acquiring my Michell turntable. I therefore went hunting for a new turntable.

This would be my ‘ultimate turntable’ but I did not want to go exotic (air bearings etc.). I was looking for a simple but highly musical turntable from a reputable manufacturer. I decided to look for a non-suspended design. My listening room is relatively immune from vibration. The floor is a big thick slab of concrete and the walls are made of bricks. You could be jumping right by the audio rack without any impact. The Michell Orbe is a suspended turntable and I found that it was sometimes too mellow and lacking precision.

Living in a country where vinyl audio still remains in the dark ages, auditioning and comparing high end tables is just mission impossible as most dealers don’t have high end turntables in their show rooms. You therefore need to rely on audiophile friends, shows, reviews and forums to form an opinion.

I drew the following shortlist from Europe based manufacturers (mark ups on US products are just becoming insane):
  • TW Raven AC
  • Brinkmann Balance
  • Clearaudio Master Innovation
  • Simon Yorke S7 or S10

I excluded the Clearaudio from a purely esthetical point of view. I know that it has nothing to do with audiophile rationale but I found it too flashy for sitting in my living room.

I unfortunately discovered that the sole dealer who carries TW in my country is unreliable. I did not want to deal with a guy who let me down big time when I was on the search for a new digital front end.

I was therefore left with the Simon Yorke and the Brinkmann. The Brinkmann has been in production for more than 25 years with regular upgrades. It has been highly praised by some reviewers (http://www.stereophile.com/content/brinkmann-balance-turntable2, http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/brinkmann/balance.html). The Simon Yorke is also highly praised and can be sourced directly from Simon who resides in Spain. He will even come to your place for the set up.

A very close friend has the Simon Yorke S7. He also hesitated with the Balance. He took the Simon Yorke as he was able to strike a very good deal with Simon Yorke. The Simon Yorke is an exquisite table. I was able to compare the build quality of the Simon Yorke vs. the Brinkmann and clearly there is no match. The Brinkmann is far superior.

I had the opportunity to listen to the Brinkmann Bardo and Oasis turntables but never the top of the range Balance.

My audio dealer carries Brinkmann and arranged a personal meeting with Helmut Brinkmann. I met a very humble and somewhat shy gentleman. When discussing the merits of his design as well as the choice of tonearm and cartridge, he kindly suggested that I keep my current tonearm and cartridge and that I gradually upgrade ‘should I feel the need to’. Knowing that Helmut Brinkmann also builds tonearms and cartridges, I was quite impressed by his integrity. He recommended acquiring the optional tubed power supply. He also informed me that he did not have a Balance rightly available and that he would need starting building one for me. I confirmed my order. I was informed some weeks later that it would be the first Balance fitted with the new motor based on the design of the direct drive motor used in the Bardo and the Oasis turntables. This would however require some additional weeks or patience.

Finally in late February, the turntable landed. Together with the dealer, we spent the whole afternoon assembling the unit. The table is mounted on a Symposium Super Plus platform sitting on the top of the Finite Elemente audio rack. The Turntable is equipped with two power supplies. The first SS power supply maintains the oil of the bearing at a constant temperature of 65° Celsius. It can also drive the motor. The second optional unit is a tubed power supply for the motor. I decided to first try the turntable with the sole SS power supply and plug the tubed power supply at a later stage so I could have a good comparison basis for assessing the improvements.

Currently, the turntable is fitted with the venerable SME V tonearm and a Koetsu Black cartridge from my previous setup. The phono stage is a Brinkmann Fein, which I acquired about one year ago. I was therefore in a position to assess the improvements brought by the sole turntable design.

I was not expecting such changes. The improvements are dramatic. Compared to my previous rig, the Brinkmann has lifted a veil:
  • Deeper and larger soundstage
  • Impressive dynamics
  • More precision
  • Bass control – deep and tight - enabling the Krells’ iron fist to demonstrate its full capabilities
  • Less noise
  • Neutrality but still on the ‘warm side’

A week later, I plugged in the tubed power supply. A sense of additional control and precision was brought in the analog set up. This has however a down side: playing poorly recorded vinyls is just unbearable.

Listening both to classical and rock/indie rock music is an equal joy. I however discovered that sometimes with rock music, I am better off using the Nordost Krell Cast interconnect cables between the pre-amp and power amps instead of the Argento Flow (the switch is easily performed by just flicking a switch on the power amps).

I am extremely pleased with this acquisition. I also know that considerable improvements can be brought in by some future upgrades. Possible upgrades that I am contemplating for the coming years are:
  • New phono cables - I am tempted by the Furutech Silver Arrows to replace the current VDH MCD 501
  • New cartridge - I am biased and I would certainly stay within the Koetsu family, more probably a Jade Platinum
  • New phono stage - I will certainly test the Brinkmann top of the range Edison

The SME V tonearm (short version) works pretty well with the Balance and is highly dynamic. I am therefore not considering any change at this stage though the Brinkmann can be fitted with a 12-inch tonearm.

Any suggestion or feedback on the above possible upgrades is welcome and highly appreciated.

Finally, I got a custom made dust cover from a local workshop.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
According to those who have compared it directly to the V-12, the V-12 is better, though at a substantial price increase.

I did compare my old SME 309 (on which the 312S is based) to my SME V, and the V was better.

Yeah, but you were comparing a much cheaper SME 9" arm to a much more expensive SME 9" arm rather than comparing either to the 12" 312S arm. This is an apples to hubcaps comparison.
Were you really surprised that the cheaper 309 didn't sound as good as SME's all out assault on the SOTA for 9" arms?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yeah, but you were comparing a much cheaper SME 9" arm to a much more expensive SME 9" arm rather than comparing either to the 12" 312S arm. This is an apples to hubcaps comparison.
Were you really surprised that the cheaper 309 didn't sound as good as SME's all out assault on the SOTA for 9" arms?

Hello mep. Yes, I'm aware of the comparison I made. I never claimed that I compared either the 309 or the V to the 312S. I have not had the 312S in my system. I compared the 9" 309 to the 9" V in my system on my Model 10. I don't think SME would consider this to be an "apples to hubcaps" comparison. Do you?

I later did also compare the 9" V to the 12" V-12 in my system on the 30/12 keeping all other variables constant. That was also interesting but a comparison of length not of different features and quality like the 309/V.

I did read that the 312S arm is a 12" variant of the 9" 309 arm. Also that the V-12 is a 12" variant of the 9" V arm. I thought in that sense my comparison was indeed analogous. The 309 arm that came with my Model 10 turntable had the removable headshell and static VTF just like the 312S. And the V arm had the same features as the V-12 arm.

I think you do make a good point about other possible factors like bearings and internal wiring. I don't know those specifics, but I've been told the 309/312S are related like the V/V-12 are related, just 9" versus 12" versions. I could be mistaken, and apologize if I am.

I agree the price of the 309 is much cheaper than the V, just as the 312S is MUCH cheaper than the V-12. Albert is the only person I know who has done that direct comparison between the two 12" arms, but I can't speak to that.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hello mep. Yes, I'm aware of the comparison I made. I never claimed that I compared either the 309 or the V to the 312S. I have not had the 312S in my system. I compared the 9" 309 to the 9" V in my system on my Model 10. I don't think SME would consider this to be an "apples to hubcaps" comparison. Do you?

I was specifically referring to you comparing the 309 to the V and drawing conclusions to the 312S. Either of those 9" arms is an apples to hubcaps comparison when compared to the 312S if for no other reason than the length.

I later did also compare the 9" V to the 12" V-12 in my system on the 30/12 keeping all other variables constant. That was also interesting but a comparison of length not of different features and quality like the 309/V.

I did read that the 312S arm is a 12" variant of the 9" 309 arm. Also that the V-12 is a 12" variant of the 9" V arm. I thought in that sense my comparison was indeed analogous. The 309 arm that came with my Model 10 turntable had the removable headshell and static VTF just like the 312S. And the V arm had the same features as the V-12 arm.

I think you do make a good point about other possible factors like bearings and internal wiring. I don't know those specifics, but I've been told the 309/312S are related like the V/V-12 are related, just 9" versus 12" versions. I could be mistaken, and apologize if I am.

I agree the price of the 309 is much cheaper than the V, just as the 312S is MUCH cheaper than the V-12. Albert is the only person I know who has done that direct comparison between the two 12" arms, but I can't speak to that.

I'm certainly not trying to say that the 312S sounds better than its more expensive V 12 brother, but I would rather have the ability to adjust azimuth like you can with the 312S than have the V 12 which you can't. Again, Albert is the guy who highly recommended that I buy the 312S arm.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I was specifically referring to you comparing the 309 to the V and drawing conclusions to the 312S. Either of those 9" arms is an apples to hubcaps comparison when compared to the 312S if for no other reason than the length.

I'm certainly not trying to say that the 312S sounds better than its more expensive V 12 brother, but I would rather have the ability to adjust azimuth like you can with the 312S than have the V 12 which you can't. Again, Albert is the guy who highly recommended that I buy the 312S arm.

mep, I think you are referring to my post above #11. I did not compare either 9" arm to the 312S. What I wrote is that the V is better than the 309. By extension, I meant to imply that the V-12 is better than the 312S. The analogy is based on the similarity of the 309/312 designs and the V/V12 designs. Obviously, the lengths are different. I'm sorry if you do not understand my point. I must not be clear enough.

Having said that, there are also similarities between the 9" V and the 12" V12. I still would not refer to that as apples to hubcaps. They are very similar in all respects except for length and that only effects the sound in certain areas. I would say it is more like two red apples, one being not quite ripe enough to eat and the other being perfect.

Regarding azimuth: Well some people prefer the adjustability. Others prefer to give that up for the other benefits of the V12. I gladly gave up azimuth for the overall sound of the V series, both the 9" and the 12" versions. I also never installed the finger lift as in theory at least, it adds resonance at a most inconvenient place. I have not done extensive listening with/with out the finger lift though to test this theory.

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Congratulations dcc.

That is a fine Turntable system. I recently set one of those up that included the tube power supply. The owner has a PC1 Supreme and uses the Brinkman tonearm (the 10.5 if my memory serves me correctly). Once I finished that setup of that turntable system, it was extremely enjoyable sounding.

When the time comes for considering a tonearm change, I think you would be well served to place the Brinkmann tonearms along with whatever else you may try. They perform very good with that table. Of course with all things audio, personal preference must be factored into the equation.

Congratulations again on a fine addition to your system.

Dre

Many thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I wish I could find someone like you for setting up my turntable to its best. I was highly impressed by the TAS article describing how you are setting up turntables. Should you cross the Atlantic, let me know:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing