Corner Trap Placement Question

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
^^^ I don't see a photo or drawing of the alcove in question, so I'm half guessing. But putting traps across an opening generally works well.

--Ethan

Ethan, there is a photo of said opening/alcove on the first page of this thread. The speaker covers much of the view, but if you follow the wall corner down until it disappears behind the speaker, then that should give a pretty good idea of what the alcove looks like. I also have a Mondo Trap on the wall beside the speaker (which again, you can't see because the speaker blocks the view of it).

Better yet, here are some additional photos of the offending alcove:

alcove_02rs.jpg

alcove_01rs.jpg

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Would you recommend putting a trap on a stand in the opening? The doorway leads to a hall and then a staircase.

There's a good chance a trap there isn't needed because the bass already has a way to escape the room. Now, if you can hear the sound rattling around in the hallway half a second after something loud, then silent, plays through your speakers, that's something a panel on a stand would help. But you'd need to block most of the opening.

--Ethan

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
There's a good chance a trap there isn't needed because the bass already has a way to escape the room. Now, if you can hear the sound rattling around in the hallway half a second after something loud, then silent, plays through your speakers, that's something a panel on a stand would help. But you'd need to block most of the opening.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan. I appreciate the response.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Ah, got it. I think just having traps in those corners is sufficient. Put one MondoTrap on each door would definitely help, assuming you don't mind the look of bass traps on doors. :D

--Ethan

Thank you for your time Ethan. I believe I will stick with stands. That way I can just set them in front of the doors (or in the corners). Placing them on the doors wouldn't work. The space has three doors which open into it, and traps sticking out on doors would collide into each other. Especially the two white doors.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing