Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a bohlender graebener ribbon to gen v or vi

Adding a bohlender graebener ribbon to gen v or vi

Hi,

is possible to add a mid ribbon to Gen V or Vi without modding the crossover? i mean apart, they dont fit in the cabinet.
    what do you think?

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    No. Unfortunately, changing a driver out is not a trivial process. Even if you can mount the driver in the cabinet, a ribbon driver behaves completely different from a dynamic driver.

If you have a problem with the midrange, we do have new re-manufactured ones for replacement.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! flez007's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    No. Unfortunately, changing a driver out is not a trivial process. Even if you can mount the driver in the cabinet, a ribbon driver behaves completely different from a dynamic driver.

If you have a problem with the midrange, we do have new re-manufactured ones for replacement.
    That's what I call customer care!
    ​No lies, no surprises

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flez007 View Post
    That's what I call customer care!
    We do try our best. Unfortunately, some materials are almost impossible to re-create. On some products, the replacement parts have been obsolete for so many years that they are impossible to get even NOS. Some complain because we have to ask for 2013 prices for a replacement part for a 1993 loudspeaker.... but there's no way that we can turn the clock back 20 years on prices, try as we might.

Hi,

ok, i asked because it seems the xover in gen 300 is almost equal or identical to gen vi xover, at least the big board, the board with tone controls seems a bit different...

i have no broken driver, it was just an idea. i was thinking that becuase with bass unit from 85 to 400hz the mid ribbon would work in optimun frequency besides it is also cut with tweeters.

thanks

I did something similar a few years ago. I chopped up an older 501 to turn it into a center channel speaker, including a DIY cabinet that better matched the appearance of my R/L 201's. I did replace the cone midrange with a BG ribbon driver (the now discontinued 28.1 driver, which was only 24 inches long) which has worked pretty well to my ear.

Hi calore
    Did you mofify the crossover? Do you have schematics?
    Pleas tell me whar you did

No, I just plopped the 28.1 in place of the cone. Not ideal, I am sure, and Gary will cringe, but sounds OK to me. Sorry for taking six months almost to answer.

Unfortunately the bass amp in the speaker is shot, so thinking about buying the replacement module that Gary now makes.

*cringe*

Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    *cringe*
    See ......

FWIW all moot because you cannot get the BG 28.1 driver anymore; they stopped making it a few years ago. Tho, if memory serves, Gary, didn't you design a speaker around it at one point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast