Passive Linestage Exploration

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Each of my R2R tapes has vastly different listening levels. Some tapes are recorded very hot, and some tapes are not. And some tapes are in between. Having to change resistors for every different source would be a nightmare for me. The bottom line is that passive line stages aren't for everyone. Throw in a passive line stage that only has one level of output changeable by a resistor soldered into a RCA plug , and now you have sliced the audiophile market to a ridiculously small sliver.

A non issue for TVC based solutions.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have tried Transformer and Resistor loaded volume controls, my favorite are resistor loaded shunt type: there are a few different types, the shunt type uses less resitors on the signal path. Check out the Goldpoint web page they had a nice description of the different volume controls they handle, maybe it is still there!

What about Placette Audio?

Good luck, very nice idea!

Even if someone likes active preamps better, with gain or no gain: the volume control Always makes a difference!

Volume control basically is the transparancy. Screw it up and you forget about it, unless you listen with the volume at full 100% of time.

The Placette guys closed their doors a number years ago. They were local San Diego. The owner had a very nice hifi shop where
I bought a pair of Spendors.

Saturntube

Industry Expert
Feb 8, 2011
Austin Texas
www.SadurniAcoustics.com
Tapes are like that!

The point was that the contact in a switch with diferent positions is part of the problem within a volume control: it could be bypassed in such a way with its consecutive problems. It is interesting to try if only to see what we are missing. Like making the Ravel Bolero test.

Both active and passive use volume controls.:)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
every recording has a "correct" volume

I absolutely agree, but sometimes this volume depends really on the size of your room...

Most recordings have a similar volume, there are exeptions, mainly from certain labels that change the output volume of their offer, but in general you could change a record and live with the volume it is already there, and if you listen to the complete record, then you get used to the volume, more if it is sounding phenomenal! Now if you are skipping music and playing only the hits or only your reference recordings from 4 or 5 different records, well.

Now you could have a plug for Vinyl, another for Digital and another for RTR, or maybe a couple for each....

I was also impressed with the idea, I had to call and see if what I read was correct... then I started this investigation on my listening habits and found out the idea is not all that out of space!

I would be very interested in your experience or others about this....

Interesting point. I have though about it very often, as I have owned several preamplifiers having high quality switched attenuators. Some have up to 32 positions and most of the time I used only one fifth of them. If I was sure about which I would use I could have it manufactured using high quality resistors, such as the ultra expensive Caddock's top of the range, in these more often used positions and lower cost ones in others.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing