That little brush scares the heck out of me!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My Ortofon 2M Black comes with a brush that's about 1/4" in diameter and appears to be really stiff, and it scares me to death using it. Does anyone have an alternative brush for a DRY application (recommended by Ortofon)?

Here's a pic of the brush:
Ortofon Carbon Stylus Brush [large view].jpg

I'm very careful, but I'm also afraid of damaging the stylus with this thing.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Use Oznow and Stylast.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Use Oznow and Stylast.

I use the Onzow as well....never tried Stylast....I was thinking of buying a very fine artists brush or make-up brush and then using the Onzow.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
My Ortofon 2M Black comes with a brush that's about 1/4" in diameter and appears to be really stiff, and it scares me to death using it. Does anyone have an alternative brush for a DRY application (recommended by Ortofon)?

Here's a pic of the brush:
View attachment 9252

I'm very careful, but I'm also afraid of damaging the stylus with this thing.

Don't worry, I've been using that sort of brush for YEARS with no problems. Just make sure that you brush only from back to front!

I use Stylast too.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Don't worry, I've been using that sort of brush for YEARS with no problems. Just make sure that you brush only from back to front!

I use Stylast too.

OK...I'll get used to it I guess. Back to front? OOPS! :p

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Oznow first, Stylus second.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I love to scare listeners and hence use a hard brush when the volume is up. Don't worry, the little diamond will not be bothered by the bristles. Been doing it for 25 years. If you think this is scary, Garth showed me that from time to time he uses the striker on a matchbook!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Magic Eraser. Cut off a small piece, put it on your record or mat, drop the needle on it with your arm life then lift back off. Works almost always, but a brush once in a while is usually needed as well. You can also just leverage a piece to clean directly if you are careful.

I have one of the Ortofon brushes, too, and it also scares me, it is so dang stiff. The soft bristle part of a soft tooth brush works well and has a long handle.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I can`t recall which of my previous carts came with a similar brush, never had an issue using it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, I wouldn't worry about that brush. It's the same type that Stylast was using for years with their stylus cleaning solution. I used it for years. Not the most effective, but IF you brush gently from back to front will certainly do no harm. BTW Peter, Garth must have gotten his matchbook idea from Linn. They came up with this years ago. At the time, the idea was pretty much discounted; although I'm not sure I would use this method today either.
The Onzow zerodust is the best I have found for stylus cleaning.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I'm a user of Magic Eraser as well. No issues to report here.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks guys. I think one of my issues is that it's awkward to hold ...wish it had a more user-friendly design to ensure a safe grip.

But, I won't worry about it and use it plus the Onzow.

Happy spinning! :D

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
No problems with that brush here, I've been using that kind of brush for years. And also an AT 637.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I am a firm believer in Stylast. I have been using it for many, many years and it has never caused a problem and my cartridges seem to have a very long life indeed.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I am a firm believer in Stylast. I have been using it for many, many years and it has never caused a problem and my cartridges seem to have a very long life indeed.

Same here. Magic Erase and the like scare the willies out of me because it might leave behind traces of chemicals that shouldn't touch one's records...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think I've had 6 or more Ortofon carts to date from different Concord and OM MMs as well as an A90. No problems with their brushes. All of the styli are fine.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The brush will be a necessity at one time or another whether you use Onzow/magic eraser or not. Sometimes stuff gets caked on. I have even seen an onzow chunk get stuck on my A90. It's getting old and probably should be replaced.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"onzow chunk". Now, there's a term only an audiophile can love (or understand). But I agree, sooner or later the brush of some sort will be necessary. A lot of analog gremlins can be scotched by clean needle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing