VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
:)

I was weaned working on TVs and old tube radios. Those CRTs had 20 - 40 kV on them. Low current, but I still have a few burn marks and a scar or two from hitting other things when my hand jerked after catching the anode lead. The B+ in my old power amp was 600 V. But, my favortie tale is when I worked with a lineman friend; nothing like 440 kV feeder lines to keep you on your toes. One time he (not me, thankfully) dropped a large (8') crowbar from the bucket and it fell flat across the transformer bus lines in a substation we were repairing. There was a loud pop/snap/sizzle and the crowbar simply fell right through the lines, only now it was in four pieces. Didn't even trip a breaker.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Heh, first he states "I could almost certainly achieve the same sound for less money and effort if I used solid state. That would be cheating. And it wouldn't be nearly as cool", and then he goes on to use not just semiconductors, but microcontrollers in his "tube" amp... :)

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
He seems not to understand just why he prefers the sound of tubes - after all he's claiming SS can sound just as good, for less money. But seeing as he's saying that SS is more linear, I very much doubt his bravado claim :p SS is only 'more linear' in the traditional measurements of THD and IMD, not where it matters for music.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thinking better, the real main subject in the article is not about SS, tubes or electrocution - it is just about do-it-yourself in audio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing