Tascam anounces New DSD Recorder!

Analog Kid

Sep 17, 2014
To further validate what has already been stated in this thread, this recorder does indeed outperform the Korg in dsd mode. Amazing machine.

Hiro

Apr 17, 2013
To further validate what has already been stated in this thread, this recorder does indeed outperform the Korg in dsd mode. Amazing machine.

If that's the case, somebody should tell the folks at Blue Coast, Opus3, MA Recordings... because they are all using Korg recorders for their DSD projects. ;)

Hiro

Apr 17, 2013
Or they could tell those folks about the Horus/HAPI combination that records up to Quad Rate DSD (DSD256), up to 8 Channels! Why stop at Stereo DSD 128? :)
http://www.merging.com/solutions/dsd256_dxd_music

Another option to explore is to record via the EMM Labs DSD128 AD converter to the Tascam DA-3000.

DSD engineers like Ed Meitner, Andreas Koch, Ted Smith find DSD128 to be an optimal sampling rate for DSD at this point in time, and the EMM Labs and Tascam can record directly at this rate (without any remodulation and downsampling).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Another option to explore is to record via the EMM Labs DSD128 AD converter to the T
ascam DA-3000.

DSD engineers like Ed Meitner, Andreas Koch, Ted Smith find DSD128 to be an optimal sampling rate for DSD at this point in time, and the EMM Labs and Tascam can record directly at this rate (without any remodulation and downsampling).

Unfortunately there will be no further development of the Sonoma system. We are stuck at DSD64fs. I have to use my Prramix for everything over 128fs.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Unfortunately there will be no further development of the Sonoma system. We are stuck at DSD64fs. I have to use my Pyramix for everything over 128fs.

There's an outside chance the Sonoma will get to 128fs if the work on the TriMedia drivers at the Super Audio Center proves successful. But the wait has been so long that many producers, engineers and artists are moving on to the Pyramix now - especially in light of its capabilities up to 256fs and 8 channel DSD recording and playback.

Hiro

Apr 17, 2013
Unfortunately there will be no further development of the Sonoma system. We are stuck at DSD64fs. I have to use my Prramix for everything over 128fs.

In July, Michi from the SA Center, tweeted that 128fs update for the Sonoma workstation was in the works. Has anything changed? That would be a bummer...

For the time being, the DSD128 masters /transfers from the Meitner ADC8 Mk IV can be recorded with the new Tascam DA-3000 and Pyramix.

rkay5

Feb 19, 2013
Does anyone know if in the near future someone will make DSD software for 2 ch vinyl recording with the tools that can be used like with pcm software or just some but more than Vinyl Studio. I have been using with Tascam DA-3000 and just got PS Audio NPC phono preamp/A2D.I have tried recording first pcm at 176.4 than repair big clicks in Wavelab 6.1 than use Click Repair and recorded file as a DSD64 with Tascam DA-3000 than using Vinyl Studio I make tracks add metadata .The file sound very good but it to much work so most of the vinyl recording I do are pcm and that all.Any ideas?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
In July, Michi from the SA Center, tweeted that 128fs update for the Sonoma workstation was in the works. Has anything changed? That would be a bummer...

For the time being, the DSD128 masters /transfers from the Meitner ADC8 Mk IV can be recorded with the new Tascam DA-3000 and Pyramix.

Everytime I speak to Andreas he says the same thing. I will see him and Gus next week. I know Gus has wanted to something with the Sonoma system for years but nothing has happened.
I'm having to keep a Windows XP system running just for our Sonoma system.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks for the info.

Now, finally, the EMM Labs converters will be able to operate at their full potential.

They've always been able to operate at their full potential using a Pyramix system

Hiro

Apr 17, 2013
They've always been able to operate at their full potential using a Pyramix system

In that case, it's a missed opportunity in my book that all transfers done up to date with the EMM converters, like the Wilson Audio transfers, haven't been done to DSD128 instead of DSD64. The vast majority of DSD DACs can already handle 2X DSD.

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
I'm having to keep a Windows XP system running just for our Sonoma system.

Hi Bruce,

Gus has a driver for Win7/32 bit for the Sonoma. I've been running it for some time on the same PC platform simultaneously running Pyramix 9.1.4 32 bit.

Tom

Hiro

Apr 17, 2013
Everytime I speak to Andreas he says the same thing. I will see him and Gus next week. I know Gus has wanted to something with the Sonoma system for years but nothing has happened.

I hope they will have some good news to share... because there hasn't been done much in the recent years to boost the SQ of DSD in the studio. All the R&D work has been basically put into improving the DSD playback, and even the latest Nagra machine, co-designed by Andreas Koch, is a 2X DSD DAC, and unfortunately not a new Double DSD recorder with discrete ADC from Andreas. I believe that Ed Meitner's ADC8 Mk IV is the only discrete 2X DSD ADC available at the moment.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I couldn't get it to load. Stuck on the first screen....

How did you get new firmware to load on the DA-3000 ? I get stuck on the Start Upload screen and it doesn't recognize the firmware version on the sd card. What is your procedure ? The Blue lit ring around the "info" button turns read when it's stuck on Start Update. It doesn't get to the next screen showing the new firmware name version that is copied on the root directory of the card.

My other issue is recording from digital input either SPDIF(coax) or XLR. I switch to either digital input and the blue lit ring around the info button turns red. When I go into record pause, I get the error: DIN Error - digital input is illegal. I am trying to record from my DAT dig out into the DA3000 dig in. How hard is that suppose to be ? The correct sampling frequency is selected. The DAT tapes are not SCMS copy protected. What gives ?

edit: dig in issue solved. I was doing nothing wrong other than using a bad coaxial digital interconnect.

Still cant update the firmware....Anyone ?

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I could never get it to load. Had to send the unit back. The new one works fine.

interesting. By looking at the new firmware release notes, it appears for my purposes, those updates wont apply to my uses of the recorder. Thank god I could get digital in to work...so many DAT tapes to transfer and the DA-3000 makes it easy. The bad digital cable was an old 1990's era XLO unshielded coax cable. No wonder it wasn't working well. Drove me bat-sheet until I figured it out.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I could never get it to load. Had to send the unit back. The new one works fine.

From gearslutz
Called Tascam operational support. In a nut shell the flash has to be from a CF card. So I got to get a CF card just to update firmware. It does only speak to CF in the instructions, but I didn't want to believe that to be the case. Support told me that essentially all Tascam products with CF slots have to be updated from a CF card.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/ele...-3000-firmware-update-procedure-terrible.html

I have been trying using an SD card. I will try updating via CF card.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
CF Card does the trick. If you want to update firmware on the DA-3000, you need to copy the firmware update to the root (top) level of CF card (Not SD card) and do the standard update procedure as described in the manual.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Hello,
Is there a successor to this unit?
What is you recommended way to make two channel records?
I still use a Sony DTC 2000 DAT flawlessly after all those years to record some broadcast concerts from digital satellite broadcast (24bit 48kHz), but thinking about to replace it with a newer technology.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing