Tascam anounces New DSD Recorder!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Tascam Announces DA-3000 High-Res Recorder

Tascam is previewing the DA-3000, a high-resolution master recorder that writes files at 192kHz/24-bit or Direct Stream Digital formats. The new 2-track records to SD Card or Compact Flash media, and can record DSD at 2.6MHz or 5.6MHz.
The DA-3000 replaces their DV-RA1000HD, which recorded to hard drive or DVD media. The A/D converters are Burr Brown PCM4202 and the D/A are a pair of PCM1795s. A new transformer based power supply has been created, with separate supplies for the analog and digital components.

The SD Card can be up to 32GB and the Compact Flash up to 64GB in size. In addition there’s a USB input for a flash drive, though it’s playback only. Another USB input accepts a keyboard to name tracks. The rear panel has balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, SDIF-3, and Word Clock inputs and outputs.

Up to four of the units can be chained together for 8-channel live or surround recording and playback. The unit seems similar to Korg’s recently-discontinued MR-2000S, though with more connections on the rear panel, solid state recording, and about half the price.

Tascam’s DA-3000 is slated to ship in June for a street price of $999.

Tascam 1.JPG

Tascam 2.JPG

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Bruce,

Please let us know how well this records. There's no Korg dealer here but the Tascam dealer has a store right outside our village's gate.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Bruce. Pre-ordered? How long [estimated] until they ship or do you know yet? I too am curious as to the sound.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
10-4. Thank you, sir.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Me too

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce, is that a DVD/CD-R tray below the recording level meters?

Also, the TI BB PCM-1795s are 32-bit/192kHz high resolution DACs.

The tray/slot is for Flash cards. This is what the unit records to. As far as the chips... I haven't a clue.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The tray/slot is for Flash cards. This is what the unit records to. As far as the chips... I haven't a clue.

Thanks, it did appear small indeed, just wasn't sure.

And yes, the chips, I'm familiar with those (got them in my pre/pro), and many more DAC models;
and so is Richard (opus111).

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks for the info, Bruce.

Where did you pre order from? Is the DAC on this unit great, or would this be an upgrade:

http://mytekdigital.com/hifi

Is there another, better DSD DAC I haven't seen that trumps those 2?

Thanks again.

Got them from Sweetwater. I have the Mytek as well and I'd sure like to do a shoot out on these.

Oh yeah... there are several DAC's that are better. I use the Playback Designs MPS-5. The EMM Labs and dCS DAC's are better as well.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The exaSound is getting a lot of positive comments as well, although it's only a DAC, like the ones just mentioned, but unlike the subject of this thread.

russtafarian

Jul 11, 2012
A couple quick questions: Are there mic preamps on the analog input? Can this be used as a DSD DAC? Have you heard if Korg is replacing/updating their discontinued DSD recorder? Thanks.

Russ

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
A couple quick questions: Are there mic preamps on the analog input? Can this be used as a DSD DAC? Have you heard if Korg is replacing/updating their discontinued DSD recorder? Thanks.

Russ

As far as I know, it will be just like the Korg MR2000s, except with DSD digital in/out and recording to flash cards instead of hard drive. So no mic pre's.

Sound like Korg is getting out of the DSD business. Haven't heard any more about new DSD models or further development of the Clarity workstation.

russtafarian

Jul 11, 2012
Thanks. This looks like a good choice for archiving vinyl to DSD.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I emailed my sales person last week and he told me they haven't received a ship date yet. I'll be one of the first to get one when they do come in. Can't wait!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing