Koda K10 preamp in my home for evaluation

Alex G

Feb 1, 2021
California
Which AC preamp in particular?
Probably Impera Ref but poss Incito S. I have heard most AC pres including Impera Sig and will hear Agito next week but never against each other. Re my question, curious if there are even broad house style / approach / design philosophy that separates these Pres that people can agree on at all and where does Koda fall into that given it’s an older design relative to the newer Pilium and AC products for example.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Is it really relevant, if the design is 5 or 10 year old? Are there any real news in this technology? Do any of these preamps use the very latest high end parts (caps, etc), so that there could be a relevant reason for sonic differences because of the age of the preamps? Or do maybe just the technology and skillful genius behind them matters, but not the age of the products?

Reactions: hogen

Alex G

Feb 1, 2021
California
Is it really relevant, if the design is 5 or 10 year old? Are there any real news in this technology? Do any of these preamps use the very latest high end parts (caps, etc), so that there could be a relevant reason for sonic differences because of the age of the preamps? Or do maybe just the technology and skillful genius behind them matters, but not the age of the products?
Potentially no and that’s kind of my question. Whether old designs or new designs, some of the pres being discussed here are among the finest made today…and happen to be the ones on my mind. So wondering if people had feedback on them comparatively. I have the Koda K10 right now. It’s incredible: so nuanced and just beautiful. Also it’s a legend of an amp. Just curious if anyone has heard it against some of the others here.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Potentially no and that gets to my point. Old design or new design some of the pres being discussed here are among the finest ones made today and happen to be the ones on my mind. So wondering if people had feedback on them comparatively. Like I have the Koda K10 right now. It’s simply incredible: nuanced, beautiful, otherworldly. Also it’s a legend of an amp. Just curious if anyone has heard it against some of the others here.
I have not been following some of the more recent posts, but I saw yours and was curious. If I understand, you have the K10, and are looking at other preamps as well that may compete. I am curious...have you considered the K15EX?

I have heard from people who have auditioned and/or owned both that the K15EX has a significantly lower noise floor, a significantly greater dynamic range (including more powerful propulsive bass)...while maintaining much of the natural ease, zen and purity of the Robert Koda design ethos that you have with the K10. A superior leap forward in all regards.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing