Koda K10 preamp in my home for evaluation

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
He said in the article there is no discount to anyone. As the reviewer, he was given no discount by Polymer Logic, and he paid the full price to own the speakers.

OK. The way it was being portrayed (or the way I took it) was that the reviewer had the option of accommodation pricing but was standing on some type of principles and paid full price.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
John,

Have you recently had the fully balanced KX-R in your system? I'm not sure if its worth it to get in in there with the new Rockports but it may at least be educational if nothing else. It should be a pretty good match with the fully balanced MX-R amps and would keep everything running fully balanced if that is still one of your goals.

I'm mostly interested in your findings if you have recently had the KX-R in the system since your major changes (room and speakers).

Dre

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,

Have you recently had the fully balanced KX-R in your system? I'm not sure if its worth it to get in in there with the new Rockports but it may at least be educational if nothing else. It should be a pretty good match with the fully balanced MX-R amps and would keep everything running fully balanced if that is still one of your goals.

I'm mostly interested in your findings if you have recently had the KX-R in the system since your major changes (room and speakers).

Dre

I have had the KXR in my system...but was a few years ago. I listened to it vs a BAT VK51SE, Aesthetix Io, and my current Nagra PLL...all with my MXR's. I may still hear it soon again (end of this month). The Aesthetix had just a amazing image...size width, depth height - but 3 boxes, 2 power cords, a lot of real estate and tubes. The BAT just killer weight in the mids - a little rough on top I thought (artifact of the 6h30 tube maybe?) - the NOS 6h30's BAT used to sell routinely were much better on the top end...but are now what $200+ each x 8 for that preamp? (I haven't heard the VK52SE) The Ayre KXR, the best in terms of resolution and quietness (like by far) ...but was a tad cool in comparison to the others.

The Nagra PLL (with the VFS) split all the others right down the middle...seemingly doing a little bit of what each was trying to do and so I bought it...and still have it after 4-5 years. It's really a nifty pre...I would not call it a giant "killer" but a highly musical preamp that does most everything very well...and preamps costing double or more..couldn't really best it in every area...just some areas...

I have better cabling now, better power cords/conditioners, better vibration control...so all may change...the Ayre...might come out on top of these given the other improvements I have made...I suspect it will really respond to my Transparent cabling and Grand Prix Silverstone racks. The MXR's LOVE the Shunyata Anaconda zitrons...so I can only imagine how the Ayre KXR might respond...

The thing I really learned was...fully balanced from source to speaker terminals doesn't mean the best sound. The Nagra was single ended input and gain...transformers for balanced output. What I learned was you just have to trust your ears and not the marketing speak..listen...vs analyze the features. Some single ended in a balanced system isn't lower performance always...

Hope this helps...let me know if I can answer more from my perspective (which you and your system may differ)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
John, Thanks for the quick informative reply.

The thing I really learned was...fully balanced from source to speaker terminals doesn't mean the best sound. The Nagra was single ended input and gain...transformers for balanced output. What I learned was you just have to trust your ears and not the marketing speak..listen...vs analyze the features. Some single ended in a balanced system isn't lower performance always...
It takes so many folks a long time to realize this. If I could push one thing with reproduced music at home this would be of high consideration. I could literally drive to multiple systems of friends in my area that represent SOTA in terms of musical enjoyment. All of them sound different but all are equally musically satisfying whether it is tubed, SS, balanced, single ended, or some combination. The end result IMO should always be the owners satisfaction based on the amount of time (given it is available) they spend listening. I would expect that you will be spending a significant amount of your free time, when available for listening, in that room of yours.

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks for weighing in Myles. BTW, i saw on DaveyF's thread ("no way to make it better") that one of your fellow editors raved about a pair of Polymer Logic speakers and then bought them...but his bio/system are no longer on the website. Do you know if he still owns these speakers? And have you heard them? Most curious when a writer nearly unconditionally raves about a $25K speaker and mentions only one other in the review...the Alexandria X2...and concludes the Polymer is unbeatable in all aspects but sheer scale/dynamics.

I was quite intrigued, and he made a point to say no professional discount...so he paid full retail to own these.

Lloyd I don't know the person but perhaps if you go the site and drop Dave Clark or David Robinson a line, they could be more helpful.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just to close the loop...I went ahead and placed my order for the Koda K10. Should be here in about 6-8 weeks. It is just a fabulous preamp...my dealer is also now Koda's first USA based dealer...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great news Jfrech! as I am told by a few who own and some who've auditioned, a preamp of rare beauty. Enjoy.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just to close the loop...I went ahead and placed my order for the Koda K10. Should be here in about 6-8 weeks. It is just a fabulous preamp...my dealer is also now Koda's first USA based dealer...

Great. We should have a thread on Japanese audio designers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I am up for that!...almost needs to be a category! Zanden, Kondo, Robert Koda, Accuphase, TAD, Technical Brain?, Esoteric, Reimyo, 47 Labs, Shindo, Concert Fidelity, Wavac, JVC, (plus the audiophile stuff from Marantz, Denon, etc)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am up for that!...almost needs to be a category! Zanden, Kondo, Robert Koda, Accuphase, TAD, Technical Brain?, Esoteric, Reimyo, 47 Labs, Shindo, Concert Fidelity, Wavac, JVC, (plus the audiophile stuff from Marantz, Denon, etc)

We should add Absolare and some Audio Note equipment.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I like the idea. Let me think about it

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
...that is the main reason (I won´t tell my wife) to visit Japan for the first time, I am planning to be there hopefully this same year!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...that is the main reason (I won´t tell my wife) to visit Japan for the first time, I am planning to be there hopefully this same year!

Go check out the Pioneer Center in Tokyo where they have an all TAD system you can listen to.

sickophant

May 24, 2013
Warszawa, Polsce; BrizVegas, Oz
Hello everyone. Let me introduce myself, K-10 in grey.

Robert Koda K-10 no 007-1.jpg Robert Koda K-10 no 007-2.jpg Robert Koda K-10 no 007-3.jpg Robert Koda K-10 no 007-4.jpg

Oh, and, K-10 roughly (yes, roughly) rigged up to Takumi K-70 with balanced bypass plugs and 70's NOS Western Electric 407a's.

Rough, yes. Please allow a wandering vagabond a little slack.

Dave.

Attachments

• Robert Koda-K-70_K-10_Initial Plugging-7.jpg
    Robert Koda-K-70_K-10_Initial Plugging-7.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 1,096

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm with Lee. Also what are you using for a front-end?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Dave...Thanks so much for posting...I Love THAT color :) Can I borrow yours until mine is built ;-)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dave...Thanks so much for posting...I Love THAT color :) Can I borrow yours until mine is built ;-)

Didn't you ever read the Audio Bible? Don't covet thy neighbor's preamp!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Didn't you ever read the Audio Bible? Don't covet thy neighbor's preamp!

Doh ! I was to busy drooling over his amps to remember the preamp rule !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing