Koda K10 preamp in my home for evaluation

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Had the Koda K10 in my system some years back, walked all over my Hovland HP-200 at the time.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Well we have compared the Kondo M1000MKII to Robert Koda K10 in the Same System same PC the Tubes at that time in M1000MKII where Rectifier Genalex U709 from 50s (i know very well because they where very hard to find and very expensive 180$ for one rectifier tube) and 4xMullard ecc83 (Box Anode) from 60s which i like personal very much more than Telefunken Ecc803S and GE6072.
Ofcourse the M1000MKII is not just a Preamp but we where wondered how much more emotionally involved and same time faster and tighter the K10 was playing the same pieces after each other...
So Mr Audiocrack i understand your point "did you give the best to M1000MKII before comparing" but why wouldn't i not know this while you know it:)
Finally Same System Same Rack Same PCs whit the Best possible tubes in M1000MKII Same Tracks we where fascinated by the Beauty of K10.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Well we have compared the Kondo M1000MKII to Robert Koda K10 in the Same System same PC the Tubes at that time in M1000MKII where Rectifier Genalex U709 from 50s (i know very well because they where very hard to find and very expensive 180$ for one rectifier tube) and 4xMullard ecc83 (Box Anode) from 60s which i like personal very much more than Telefunken Ecc803S and GE6072.
Ofcourse the M1000MKII is not just a Preamp but we where wondered how much more emotionally involved and same time faster and tighter the K10 was playing the same pieces after each other...
So Mr Audiocrack i understand your point "did you give the best to M1000MKII before comparing" but why wouldn't i not know this while you know it:)
Finally Same System Same Rack Same PCs whit the Best possible tubes in M1000MKII Same Tracks we where fascinated by the Beauty of K10.

Which poweramps did you use for your comparison?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Kondo Kagura.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Koda better than Kondo? Who’d have thought? Rudolph, maybe you need to ask Amadeus if the weather outside was similar at the time of swapping the amps when the trial was done. Or whether everybody’s blood sugar levels were the same.
It’s just a hobby of opinions, no Gospel truth on anything. Amadeus found the Koda sounded better, it is what it is, that day in that system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Most interesting. I have not heard the mighty Koda and have only heard Kondo once. And the Kondo listening experience was remarkable...though I feel confident it is in large part due to it also being one of the most intricately and carefully set up systems I have ever seen.

Would love to learn more about both. Amadeus - i think you own the Koda K-70, is that right? Do you use the K10 with it, and have you heard the more recent K15?

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
... ‘smoke statements’ require at least some kind of context because otherwise they are in my view meaningless.

Yes, indeed.
I had the chance to listen to some Kondo Systems for longer time and also had several conversations with Kondo owners / sellers.
We - Western Audiophiles - have the tendency to make a judgement in one sentence only...better than ..., smoked that...and so on but only a minority see a given System as a whole.
Kondo Japan is a bit different, expensive and they have their own Philosophy how it has to "sound". Some of their preamps are made for different listening priorities, the most expensive one isn't automatically the "best" for everyone. One is mainly for Japan/Asia and the other one for others ...
A complete Kondo Japan System can offer very satisfying sonic results, maybe not for everyone but in general I say, yes. Kondo is also different in result with speakers, high sensitive ones are the way to go (and hard to find), the Kagura solved it. When the speaker is a tougher load, well ... then you get a result which is probably not so good (valid for other Systems too)
Of course, a Kondo Japan System can be tuned or improved but I think, the Manufacturer is not so mad about it. It is their - or his - Philosophy. When you don't like it, well...then it is not the right one for you. I listened to it for longer time, I don't drool about their turntable, Arm or their cartridge but the other units are ok. You don't get ear cancer while listening ...

Wasn't Mr. Koda working for Kondo before he decided to go his own way?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Koda better than Kondo? Who’d have thought? Rudolph, maybe you need to ask Amadeus if the weather outside was similar at the time of swapping the amps when the trial was done. Or whether everybody’s blood sugar levels were the same.
It’s just a hobby of opinions, no Gospel truth on anything. Amadeus found the Koda sounded better, it is what it is, that day in that system.

??

With all due respect, this is a rather foolish comment that does not deserve a serious reply, Marc, but anyway.

If Amadeus and his friend(s) prefer the Koda to the Kondo, that is totally fine of course. And my audio ‘luck’ does not depend on how other people view this or that audio component, let alone audio equipment that I never used. I have stated several times before that I never used or owned the Kondo m1000 mk ii because I was never fond of it. My previous questions were only intended at getting some audio context, nothing more, nothing less.

The question in my last reply has only one reason: possibly I can learn from other audiophiles what kind of (nos) tubes they prefer in an amp that I am using myself. Nothing more, nothing less.

So I would really appreciate it, Marc, if you stop making such stupid comments.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Yes, indeed.
I had the chance to listen to some Kondo Systems for longer time and also had several conversations with Kondo owners / sellers.
We - Western Audiophiles - have the tendency to make a judgement in one sentence only...better than ..., smoked that...and so on but only a minority see a given System as a whole.
Kondo Japan is a bit different, expensive and they have their own Philosophy how it has to "sound". Some of their preamps are made for different listening priorities, the most expensive one isn't automatically the "best" for everyone. One is mainly for Japan/Asia and the other one for others ...
A complete Kondo Japan System can offer very satisfying sonic results, maybe not for everyone but in general I say, yes. Kondo is also different in result with speakers, high sensitive ones are the way to go (and hard to find), the Kagura solved it. When the speaker is a tougher load, well ... then you get a result which is probably not so good (valid for other Systems too)
Of course, a Kondo Japan System can be tuned or improved but I think, the Manufacturer is not so mad about it. It is their - or his - Philosophy. When you don't like it, well...then it is not the right one for you. I listened to it for longer time, I don't drool about their turntable, Arm or their cartridge but the other units are ok. You don't get ear cancer while listening ...

Wasn't Mr. Koda working for Kondo before he decided to go his own way?

Yes indeed, Robert Koda worked at the Kondo factory for a couple of years during the time that Kondo San was CEO. His K10 is a very good/great piece of audio equipment indeed; a few audiophiles I know very well - such as for example Miguel from Tripoint Audio - are (or were) using the same unit.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes indeed, Robert Koda worked at the Kondo factory for a couple of years during the time that Kondo San was CEO. His K10 is a very good/great piece of audio equipment indeed; a few audiophiles I know very well - such as for example Miguel from Tripoint Audio - are (or were) using the same unit.

I owned a K10 for the last 3 years. It's a incredible preamp. Took something twice the money to better it...and the new is NOT twice as good. The K10 was far from the weak link in my system...The K10 just simply emotionally involves you in the music...that's its strong suit. Everything else is damn good too...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I owned a K10 for the last 3 years. It's a incredible preamp. Took something twice the money to better it...and the new is NOT twice as good. The K10 was far from the weak link in my system...The K10 just simply emotionally involves you in the music...that's its strong suit. Everything else is damn good too...

Hey JFrech...by any chance did you consider the K15 before going Nagra? Did you hear that one by any chance?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hey JFrech...by any chance did you consider the K15 before going Nagra? Did you hear that one by any chance?

Hi Lloyd, I did consider the K15ex. Seriously. What made my decision was being able to demo one and not the other. Plus I suspect I'm getting some synergy with the new preamp with my amps...The K15ex very well could be better than what I choose...my dealer is a Koda dealer also.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

What made you decide to try another preamp, if I may ask? I suppose expected synergy with your Nagra poweramps?

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
What made you decide to try another preamp, if I may ask? I suppose expected synergy with your Nagra poweramps?

I've always liked Nagra. I've had their VPS phono stage for over 8 years now. The Koda K10 replaced a Nagra PLL preamp. The Koda was in a entirely different league vs the PLL...The HD Preamp is better still and I think that synergy has something to do with it.

I don't want to take this thread off topic to far. The Koda K10 is great. When you take the cover off and peek inside and see the workmanship and build quality...not much is built the way the Koda K10 is and not much sounds as good as it does either...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd, I did consider the K15ex. Seriously. What made my decision was being able to demo one and not the other. Plus I suspect I'm getting some synergy with the new preamp with my amps...The K15ex very well could be better than what I choose...my dealer is a Koda dealer also.

Did you ever consider the K15 + K70 (at 70watts per channel...might it have enough juice for your Altair 2s?) I believe many like the Absolare with the Altairs, but the one criticism i have heard is lack of sufficient power to really test and drive the Altairs. I have never heard the combo, so no personal opinion.

Nevertheless...since your dealer carries Koda...did you ever consider the K70?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rudolph, to be honest my comments weren’t meant to be taken seriously, everyone else except you can easily see this. They were designed to prick the bubble of pomposity you’re bringing to this thread.
One can see from Amadeus’ comments that a LOT of care had been taken to get tube choice optimal. It’s surely fine to make conclusions as he has. Of course he hasn’t specified whether he’s used Troy either...

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Rudolph, to be honest my comments weren’t meant to be taken seriously, everyone else except you can easily see this. They were designed to prick the bubble of pomposity you’re bringing to this thread.
One can see from Amadeus’ comments that a LOT of care had been taken to get tube choice optimal. It’s surely fine to make conclusions as he has. Of course he hasn’t specified whether he’s used Troy either...

Not going to waste my time on you anymore ... you are not woth it. Bye bye.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Did you ever consider the K15 + K70 (at 70watts per channel...might it have enough juice for your Altair 2s?) I believe many like the Absolare with the Altairs, but the one criticism i have heard is lack of sufficient power to really test and drive the Altairs. I have never heard the combo, so no personal opinion.

Nevertheless...since your dealer carries Koda...did you ever consider the K70?

Oh yes. Thought about that combo (k15+k70) long and hard. Came down to what I could demo...and once I heard the Nagra HD power amps I was smitten. The HD power amps are 60 watts class A (4 ohm load) and then AB past that to ~1200 watts. I am not sure they ever really leave class A on the Nagra's, It's rare I see the meters even close to 50 watts. Most listening is .5 to 5 watts...So I am guessing the Koda K70 with its power supply easily could handle the Rockports...I also thought about your Gryphon's. My dealer is also carrying that line now that they are back in the USA...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Oh yes. Thought about that combo (k15+k70) long and hard. Came down to what I could demo...and once I heard the Nagra HD power amps I was smitten. The HD power amps are 60 watts class A (4 ohm load) and then AB past that to ~1200 watts. I am not sure they ever really leave class A on the Nagra's, It's rare I see the meters even close to 50 watts. Most listening is .5 to 5 watts...So I am guessing the Koda K70 with its power supply easily could handle the Rockports...I also thought about your Gryphon's. My dealer is also carrying that line now that they are back in the USA...

Most interesting! Thanks for that...if you ever do hear that pair, let us know what you think. Meanwhile, enjoy the Nagra HD pairing!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing