Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Koda K10 preamp in my home for evaluation

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by redsquare View Post
    Yes, I agree with Spirit; the Koda was just too slow and did not have the requisite speed and control. Pretty yes, but the volume gradations drove me nuts. I also spent time with the Dartzeel and thought it was better than the Koda but on the soft/gentle side and lacking dynamic energy. Just vey relaxed and elegant but ultimately not engaging. Tried Trinity as well but it was all transients and dynamics - no musical flow at all. I use an all CH Precision system so looking forward to the new CH L1 pre coming out next month - will report back then....
    interesting about the slow part...would not have expected that about Koda from what I have read about it. I am not surprised about your comments based on people I have spoken with about Trinity...fantastic transients, detail and dynamics. Flow was a indeed a questionmark.
    Speaker: Wilson X1/Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amps: CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: SC/IC:TA Opus Gen5/MM2 PC:PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    16 Isolation 'Sandwiches': Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground/Shield: 4 x 16A Lines w/ Furutech Outlets / Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint (TroySig+Thor) / Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex7308 Mullard(6922 6CA4 6X4) TeleE88CC

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    interesting about the slow part...would not have expected that about Koda from what I have read about it. I am not surprised about your comments based on people I have spoken with about Trinity...fantastic transients, detail and dynamics. Flow was a indeed a questionmark.
    As a owner of the k10, I don't hear the slowness. I can only guess it's system matching or warmup issues the others have had. The k10 in my system takes a few days to settle down and emerge to its glory after transport. I can only guess the transformers (input or output) don't like being jiggled around. None of the reviewers mention this ... I don't mean to say the others are off base.

I have a lightning fast system with the k10 as the pre...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Preamp: Robert Koda K10
    Amp: Nagra HD Amps
    Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    As a owner of the k10, I don't hear the slowness. I can only guess it's system matching or warmup issues the others have had. The k10 in my system takes a few days to settle down and emerge to its glory after transport. I can only guess the transformers (input or output) don't like being jiggled around. None of the reviewers mention this ... I don't mean to say the others are off base.

I have a lightning fast system with the k10 as the pre...
    That sounds more like the description I have heard before from people who've auditioned it and/or own it. What I CAN say with my own system is that as things have quieted down (simply reducing distortion...not introducing new equipment or anything)...is that some music that seemed to go by in a flash...for example, the first 30 seconds of an opening track which are 'nothing'...now suddenly seem so long because there is a mood setting, pauses in between the opening notes...and it can be quite startling.

And I suppose I could also say...much 'slower' but I never thought of it this way...I always felt so much of the music has so much more meaning now with articulate pauses, etc. This is just what happened in my system the last several months as more and more has become isolated, quieted, etc.

For example, Rachel Podger Vivaldi Extravaganza (Channel Classics)...always very 'bracing' music...has kept the same pace, but as instrument separation and generally the system distortion removed...it has kept the PACE and vibrancy...but seems less like the whole ensemble was 'rushing'.

I heard this same piece on a massive Genesis 1.1/DCS Scarlatti/all-Kondo all out assault system and was absolutely AMAZED to hear it sound so calm sounding, and suddenly it occurred to me...is THIS the way it actually SHOULD sound? I obviously don't know.

...but what I DO know is that as mechanical distortions, etc have been reduced in my own system, this particular piece has definitely moved in the direction of the SOTA Genesis system...which leads me to believe that the big Genesis systems interpretation of the music might possibly be 'correct'...and thus, 'slower' in this case for Rachel Podger or certainly 'calmer' may be correct.

interesting...
    Last edited by LL21; 09-27-2014 at 05:18 AM.
    16 Isolation 'Sandwiches': Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground/Shield: 4 x 16A Lines w/ Furutech Outlets / Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint (TroySig+Thor) / Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)

Lloyd, very well said above...couldn't agree with you more.
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Preamp: Robert Koda K10
    Amp: Nagra HD Amps
    Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    Lloyd, very well said above...couldn't agree with you more.

or perhaps I should say that each note now feels not so much slower...but MUCH more 'deliberate'...and THAT can make things feel like someone is now really taking their time in the particular musical passage...

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    This "speed" issue needs some explaining from me. I was really impressed w/the K10 in it's ability to be "in the moment", almost like each quantum of musical info was suspended in time. This gave the impression of a subjective slowing of musical flow, in my system somewhat a mixed positive - the polar opposite of the Naim/Krell sound which have more lightning responses, but an almost rushed nature to timing. I struggled mainly w/an overwarm/lush balance to the music which w/this perceived slowness meant a colouration was noticeable at home.
    My new Audion Quattro is nowhere near as technicolor as the Koda, but it's ability to get out of the way is well in advance of the K10, and is as such a better all 'round performer than the K10, or my previous Hovland HP200.
    And I really shake my head that the nearly 2x pricier K15 gets a volume control w/more graduations than the K10, which I've found the worst ever auditioned in terms of graduations.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm/Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart w.Red Wine batt psu/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Symposium Isis & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas ic's, sc's & pc's/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets/Entreq Silver Tellus & Olympus Minimus ground boxes, Silver Cleanus passive filter, Apollo ground leads

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! audioblazer's Avatar
    I don't supposs u have tried the ultra expensive Audio note M10 / M10 signature volume pot ? Prob worst that koda K10. I have tried the K15 at audioexotics & it's definitley v good
    Source . AFO + Axiom, Fidelizer Nimitra + Vitus Masterpiece DAC , Studer A80, Tube Repro
    Amplification : Vitus Masterpiece Pre + Vitus Masterpiece Mono + Vitus Masterpiece Phono
    Cabling . Goebel Statement SC ,Transparent Reference XL AES/EBU digital , Goebel PC , Tara Labs Cobalts , Skogrand Markarian 421 XLR, Jorma Prime XLR , Goebel Statement XLR, Harmonix Takumi PC
    Catridges : Miyajima Madake , Miyajima Zero
    Speakers : Focal Stella EM
    Misc : JMF Conditioner, Telos GNR, Steinmusic

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    No Audioblazer, Audio Note is prohibitively expensive, and even the less expensive K10 would have been a big stretch had I fallen in love w/it. I just don't get the volume control. From what I gather the K15 has 48 steps as opposed to the K10's 24. I could never get the right level.
    Redsquare's comments on Koda, Dartzeel, Trinity etc are v. interesting, if you were to believe the acolytes of these brands, they can't be faulted - evidently not true!
    Last edited by spiritofmusic; 09-27-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm/Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart w.Red Wine batt psu/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Symposium Isis & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas ic's, sc's & pc's/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets/Entreq Silver Tellus & Olympus Minimus ground boxes, Silver Cleanus passive filter, Apollo ground leads

Name:  k15-1.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  12.3 KB

This took quite some time to finalise, but its finally ready. My interview with Robert Koch of Robert Koda about the Robert Koda Takumi K-15 preamplifier and his brand. Enjoy…

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/03...of-robert.html
    Owner & Editor-in-Chief:
    Mono & Stereo ultra high-end audio magazine

www.monoandstereo.com

matejisak@gmail.com

And now the K-15 EX.
    << Subscribe to 4ZZZ >>

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast