Koda K10 preamp in my home for evaluation

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Is Robert Koda not working on a new (super)amp? I believe I read that somewhere. Maybe a match for the K-15?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I compared AR ref 10 to K10 with Koda k70 power amp on the Rockport avior. Imo there wasn't sufficient oomph or drive from the Koda. The Koda pre had better control and separation. I didn't have preference either way, as compared to when I heard the ref 10 a couple of years later against Ypsilon and the first dart and it smoked them

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...apogee-grands!&p=390547&viewfull=1#post390547

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Is Robert Koda not working on a new (super)amp? I believe I read that somewhere. Maybe a match for the K-15?

Yes, I have heard that too. Along with his new phono stage that recently was released with looks matching the K15...

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
The Kagura amps that i am using are having GE211 tubes from 1941 the input tubes are Telefunken S802S and Melz-6H8C 6SN7GT this are Russian tubes but from a very high level and 8 Rectifier tubes are Mullard GZ34 Metal Plate.

Last edited:

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Most interesting. I have not heard the mighty Koda and have only heard Kondo once. And the Kondo listening experience was remarkable...though I feel confident it is in large part due to it also being one of the most intricately and carefully set up systems I have ever seen.

Would love to learn more about both. Amadeus - i think you own the Koda K-70, is that right? Do you use the K10 with it, and have you heard the more recent K15?

Yes i own The Robert Koda K70GII Poweramps
and beside Koda K10 Preamp i also own Koda K15EX which i big step further and higher but you will have benefits of the K15EX only if your system is very well tuned and balanced in every parameter if not Koda K10 is as good.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Koda better than Kondo? Who’d have thought? Rudolph, maybe you need to ask Amadeus if the weather outside was similar at the time of swapping the amps when the trial was done. Or whether everybody’s blood sugar levels were the same.
It’s just a hobby of opinions, no Gospel truth on anything. Amadeus found the Koda sounded better, it is what it is, that day in that system.

Yes i think that K10 is better Preamp than M1000MKII i do own the Kondo Kagura and also the Koda K70GII as well and i do not know your feeling and connection whit music tonal balance of Violins and Violas Stradivaris to Guerneri and Steinways to Bosendorfer but blindly i think i can tell you the difference of both as i can tell you in a blind test of K10 vs M1000MKII and Kagura vs K70GII..

Whit all respect to Kondo and the persons behind this respectful brand.

And yes the whether was rainy listening to both Preamps when tested:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes i think that K10 is better Preamp than M1000MKII i do own the Kondo Kagura and also the Koda K70GII as well and i do not know your feeling and connection whit music tonal balance of Violins and Violas Stradivaris to Guerneri and Steinways to Bosendorfer but blindly i think i can tell you the difference of both as i can tell you in a blind test of K10 vs M1000MKII and Kagura vs K70GII..

Whit all respect to Kondo and the persons behind this respectful brand.

And yes the whether was rainy listening to both Preamps when tested:)

Yes i own The Robert Koda K70GII Poweramps
and beside Koda K10 Preamp i also own Koda K15EX which i big step further and higher but you will have benefits of the K15EX only if your system is very well tuned and balanced in every parameter if not Koda K10 is as good.

Fantastic! Very nice systems it seems. What speakers are you driving?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I compared AR ref 10 to K10 with Koda k70 power amp on the Rockport avior. Imo there wasn't sufficient oomph or drive from the Koda. The Koda pre had better control and separation. I didn't have preference either way, as compared to when I heard the ref 10 a couple of years later against Ypsilon and the first dart and it smoked them

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...apogee-grands!&p=390547&viewfull=1#post390547

Kedar...I can assure you that rolling out the ARC factory Sovtek 6h30's for NOS 1970/80's DR's and the Sovtek 6550 for a vintage replacment such as GE 6550A takes the ARC Ref 10's performance to a higher plain altogether.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, maybe not Apogees.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
If the Apogees have a pretty constant impedance curve, they most probably can.

Even my Aries Cerat Concero65 drive the Analysis Audio Omega to great satisfaction though the latter only has like a 78-80 dB sensitivity, but the impedance is rock solid across the FR. The only limitation is the maximum SPL that can be obtained, but in my smaller room that is no issue and i still had quite some reserve.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Impedance of analysis is easier than apogees

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Fantastic! Very nice systems it seems. What speakers are you driving?

Well i was and am using the last 10 years almost always Rockport audio Speakers and i did use some of them Hyperion,Altair,AltairII,Avior,Cygnus...
At the moment i was lucky enough to try something different but not very different also in a way at the moment i use for the small System Rockport Avior whit great results and for the big system the Peak Consult Dragon Legend which i think is in way a "Clone" of the Rockport Hyperion speakers discontinued and for me still one of the very best speakers i have heard (maybe the best) ever forget about all Magico and other hypes... The reason i was interested in a speaker other than Rockport this time was also the reason that the Peak Consult Dragon Legend is in a way a Clone of Rockport Hyperion whit newer Generation Audio Technology Drivers which i also like a lot!

This are Big speakers but the Kondo Kagura and the Koda K70II can both play this speakers to live music levels...
Below there is a Review of the Dragon Legend and also a picture of rockport Hyperions lok if you agree whit me:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/10/peak-consult-dragon-legend-speakers.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/images/hyperion.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well i was and am using the last 10 years almost always Rockport audio Speakers and i did use some of them Hyperion,Altair,AltairII,Avior,Cygnus...
At the moment i was lucky enough to try something different but not very different also in a way at the moment i use for the small System Rockport Avior whit great results and for the big system the Peak Consult Dragon Legend which i think is in way a "Clone" of the Rockport Hyperion speakers discontinued and for me still one of the very best speakers i have heard (maybe the best) ever forget about all Magico and other hypes... The reason i was interested in a speaker other than Rockport this time was also the reason that the Peak Consult Dragon Legend is in a way a Clone of Rockport Hyperion whit newer Generation Audio Technology Drivers which i also like a lot!

This are Big speakers but the Kondo Kagura and the Koda K70II can both play this speakers to live music levels...
Below there is a Review of the Dragon Legend and also a picture of rockport Hyperions lok if you agree whit me:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/10/peak-consult-dragon-legend-speakers.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/images/hyperion.jpg

Fantastic. I have read good things about the Peak Consult Dragon. Have you ever heard and/or considered the Arrakis? One of my all-time favorite listening experiences. I have also spent time with the Merak IIs and the Altair 2. A big admirer of Rockport speakers...have also spoken with Andy Payor before. Very impressive.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Fantastic. I have read good things about the Peak Consult Dragon. Have you ever heard and/or considered the Arrakis? One of my all-time favorite listening experiences. I have also spent time with the Merak IIs and the Altair 2. A big admirer of Rockport speakers...have also spoken with Andy Payor before. Very impressive.

The Arrakis is from another planet yes:)
The only downsize whit the Arrakis is that i am Rebellious regarding biamping whit 4 monos...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Arrakis is from another planet yes:)
The only downsize whit the Arrakis is that i am Rebellious regarding biamping whit 4 monos...

I completely hear you! When i spoke with Andy Payor about the Arrakis...i asked him about whether the new one with the new tweeter can be made fully passive like the original Arrakis (ie, requires only a single stereo amp or single pair of mono amps). He confirmed it can be. Yes, that is probably (certainly?) a compromise...but it might have to be one to make what is otherwise an audaciously awesome speaker a bit more practical...particularly if going with Gryphon amps and TA Opus cabling!!!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Today my Koda Takuma K10 arrived.
As my next speaker (planned) will require the capability to drive low input impedance (active bass) amplifiers, my current preamps (CAT Convergent SL1 Renaissance and Air Tight Reference Pre) are not longer the best pair. The planned speaker bass input is also available only in XLR, next reason to consider a change .

As I do love the sonic signature of Kondo, the Koda Takumi K 10 came into my mind. I had listened to one of the first ones in a friends home, which was very nice (with CAT mono Amps), but with a light dark timbre.
I learned, that from 2015, with the launch of the original K15 , some small updates happened to the K 10 as well.
( I believe, it is normal for small companies, that an ongoing improvement to their products happens , even without launching an official MKII version)

The K10 arrived today plays right out of the box (just a few hours of warming up in the room) very good. Compared with the CAT SL 1 Renaissance the musical flow comes which much more information, the tonality is a little brighter (so not darker, what I was originally expecting) , 3D image is just perfect . I have to say, I am a little impressed of the K10. I was expecting a performance on SL1 Renaissance level with a better flexibility in driving different amps.

But this later 2015 built K10 loves details and a very precise presentation. For me is english a foreign language and very often it is very hard for me to understand the english text in a song. The K10 makes this for me much easier, as I can follow the voice much better and I can understand the articulation much better, which is a part of the first impression I have from the K 10. The K10 let you understand the music much better, than I was used too.

I am happy to wait for the performance increase , after some more days of playing.

Again, I am very much surprised from what I can hear in the first hours.

Great fun :)

IMG_6246.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg
IMG_6248.jpg

IMG_6249.jpg

IMG_6245.jpg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Today my Koda Takuma K10 arrived.
As my next speaker (planned) will require the capability to drive low input impedance (active bass) amplifiers, my current preamps (CAT Convergent SL1 Renaissance and Air Tight Reference Pre) are not longer the best pair. The planned speaker bass input is also available only in XLR, next reason to consider a change .

As I do love the sonic signature of Kondo, the Koda Takumi K 10 came into my mind. I had listened to one of the first ones in a friends home, which was very nice (with CAT mono Amps), but with a light dark timbre.
I learned, that from 2015, with the launch of the original K15 , some small updates happened to the K 10 as well.
( I believe, it is normal for small companies, that an ongoing improvement to their products happens , even without launching an official MKII version)

The K10 arrived today plays right out of the box (just a few hours of warming up in the room) very good. Compared with the CAT SL 1 Renaissance the musical flow comes which much more information, the tonality is a little brighter (so not darker, what I was originally expecting) , 3D image is just perfect . I have to say, I am a little impressed of the K10. I was expecting a performance on SL1 Renaissance level with a better flexibility in driving different amps.

But this later 2015 built K10 loves details and a very precise presentation. For me is english a foreign language and very often it is very hard for me to understand the english text in a song. The K10 makes this for me much easier, as I can follow the voice much better and I can understand the articulation much better, which is a part of the first impression I have from the K 10. The K10 let you understand the music much better, than I was used too.

I am happy to wait for the performance increase , after some more days of playing.

Again, I am very much surprised from what I can hear in the first hours.

Great fun :)

View attachment 39012

View attachment 39013
View attachment 39014

View attachment 39015

View attachment 39016

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I loved my 2 weeks trial with it a few years back. Along w Ypsilon, it raised the bar on what kind of sound I wanted to settle on long term.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats Shakti...looks like a beautiful system. HRS isolation, Koda K10, CAT amps...is that a Technics SP-10 (just a guess...i am not a vinyl guy). What speakers are you using now? And what are your new planned speakers with active bass? Von Schweikert?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing