Koda K10 preamp in my home for evaluation

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have a Robert Koda K10 in for evaluation. Curious if others have tried this preamp yet?

The build quality is amazing, as it should be for the price.

I've only had it installed and powered up for about 18 hours. But compared to my Nagra PLL...the blackness...the resolution, the dynamic swings, the musical timing, focus, the back of stage, a sense of movement of the musicians...just everything delivered in equal parts...nothing spotlit. Every note delivered with power...but easy and natural at the same time. Unforced detail but with power & dynamics.

My Ayre MXR's really synch up well...the whole system is elevated...both digital and vinyl...

The preamp got a few great reviews The Audio Beat and Tone Audio which prompted me to try it...

I'll post more as I get some serious time with it....but it's clearly special

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
If the opening notes are anything to go by , it seems it is here to stay :).Though it would be unfair to compare the Nagra PL-L to the K-10 , two entirely different retail levels , are they not ? Look forward to more of your observations as they further settle in . Enjoy !!!

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I heard one in a system this past weekend. While I thought it the more neutral of the pre's we listened to, the system wasn't to my taste and replacing the pre wasn't enough to overcome the shortcomings in what I suspect was interaction between speaker and room. I'd been looking forward to hearing it in what on paper looked as though it would be a stellar combination. The owner was very happy, just goes to highlight how different ones perception can be when sat in front of the same system.

I also had one in my system a couple of years back, I had purchased cables from the distributor and was offered the opportunity to try it at home over a weekend. The volume control had been damaged in a previous dem, it was thought that it wouldn't degrade the sound. At the time I was a little disappointed with it, it fleshed out tonality and improved areas like timbre but didn't make the radical improvement I'd expected over an Ayre K5 I was running at the time. At the time I'd heard a system with an ARC Ref 3 at its heart and I was looking for some of that sounstage depth and didn't get it. In the event, I heard later that someone else demonstrating it had similar comments and the penny dropped that perhaps there was some sonic degredation as a result of the damaged volume control. I believe it was returned and repaired. It's also possible my system at the time simply wasn't good enough to reveal its true worth.

I've heard the K-70 in the distributors system, the other components were Lumen White Silver Flame directly from a dCS source using its volume control. That was a quite stunning experience. I've not heard the K-10/K-70 but theres a chance it might happen in the summer, if that works better than dCS direct it should be something very special.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have a Robert Koda K10 in for evaluation. Curious if others have tried this preamp yet?

The build quality is amazing, as it should be for the price.

I've only had it installed and powered up for about 18 hours...I'll post more as I get some serious time with it....but it's clearly special

Enjoy...a truly pure tonality as i am told by those who own it. One that definitely fits into the 'magic' category. Marc Michelson, Tone Audio and Mono & Stereo (and Martin Colloms who also did Takumi K70 amp?) have all done reviews and come away mightily impressed. Its on AudioBeat's "The List" as well. I came close to considering it over 2 years ago but held back just because it was so new...i went with GAT instead. Very happy with my choice, but nevertheless curious to read more as you listen further. Enjoy and good luck.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am starting to figure out how to describe what I am hearing with this K10 preamp. The speed at which a note launches from a very black background...coupled with the resolution, warmth, natural rendering of the note...and how that same note trails off into nothing...

I was in the shopping mall last night...a guy was playing a piano...I just listened to it for a few minutes...it sounds more like live unamplified music to me. At least vs my Nagra PLL which is no slouch in this area...

Seems like it has a transformer coupled XLR input, 3 RCA inputs, possibly a single ended transistor gain stage..and massive output transformers. (1 per channel, maybe slightly smaller than a tennis ball). Just unbelievable build quality. It's about 60 lbs in a small chassis. Very neat wiring...can't really see a circuit board (maybe the gain stage but it's mostly encased in a shielded box)

I have a friend close by with a Absolare Passion preamp. Right about the same price...but very different technology. I'd love to compare these two...side by side....

The K10 also extends very deep down...and on top...on so very even and coherent.

I suspect these are hard to find to to demo...but if you're seeking a top tier preamp...this one is a must. It's going to be hard to let it go...(if I let it go)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sounds like magic...one to keep?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
a thing of beauty, JFrech...any more notes on its capabilities?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am starting to figure out how to describe what I am hearing with this K10 preamp. The speed at which a note launches from a very black background...coupled with the resolution, warmth, natural rendering of the note...and how that same note trails off into nothing...

I was in the shopping mall last night...a guy was playing a piano...I just listened to it for a few minutes...it sounds more like live unamplified music to me. At least vs my Nagra PLL which is no slouch in this area...

Seems like it has a transformer coupled XLR input, 3 RCA inputs, possibly a single ended transistor gain stage..and massive output transformers. (1 per channel, maybe slightly smaller than a tennis ball). Just unbelievable build quality. It's about 60 lbs in a small chassis. Very neat wiring...can't really see a circuit board (maybe the gain stage but it's mostly encased in a shielded box)

I have a friend close by with a Absolare Passion preamp. Right about the same price...but very different technology. I'd love to compare these two...side by side....

The K10 also extends very deep down...and on top...on so very even and coherent.

I suspect these are hard to find to to demo...but if you're seeking a top tier preamp...this one is a must. It's going to be hard to let it go...(if I let it go)

I'm curious where you got yours in the US since the manufacturer doesn't list a US distributor? Or is that info dated?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm curious where you got yours in the US since the manufacturer doesn't list a US distributor? Or is that info dated?

Hi Myles, My dealer (Ne Plus Ultra - Austin, Tx) contacted Robert Koch and worked out a demo.

I think my time is up with this preamp demo tomorrow. My Nagra PLL will go back in after about 3 weeks straight with the Takami K10. I fear I am in for a serious case of withdrawals, the first week I went back and forth between the Nagra PLL and the K10...then kinda just gave up on this comparison. This week my (long beloved) Wilson Maxx 3's were replaced with Rockport Altairs (another thread on WBF on that topic). I have not heard my Nagra PLL with my new Rockports (which are still breaking in) yet. I am pretty sure I know what the answer is however...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Myles, My dealer (Ne Plus Ultra - Austin, Tx) contacted Robert Koch and worked out a demo.

I think my time is up with this preamp demo tomorrow. My Nagra PLL will go back in after about 3 weeks straight with the Takami K10. I fear I am in for a serious case of withdrawals, the first week I went back and forth between the Nagra PLL and the K10...then kinda just gave up on this comparison. This week my (long beloved) Wilson Maxx 3's were replaced with Rockport Altairs (another thread on WBF on that topic). I have not heard my Nagra PLL with my new Rockports (which are still breaking in) yet. I am pretty sure I know what the answer is however...

checkbook got any more loose pages in it? ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Your dealer is a CJ dealer...did you ever get a chance to hear the GAT? Not pushing the GAT thing though i do love mine (as does Myles), just curious.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Your dealer is a CJ dealer...did you ever get a chance to hear the GAT? Not pushing the GAT thing though i do love mine (as does Myles), just curious.

Hi no, I haven't yet. I've read so many great things about this preamp, I wonder if I should try it. What's been holding me back is my amps are fully balanaced (Ayre MXR's) and my transparent cabling is balanced from pre to amp...so i'd have a switch out a few things to try and if I buy it..even more.

Now, the GAT with the ART amps might be a killer match with my Rockports....it's one reason I haven't quite decided on the K10....however it leaves my system today...and I am pretty sure I am in for a serious let down going back...What's happened with CJ's phono stages? Seems like they don't have a top tier phono stage right now...(I could be wrong on this)

I think my next weak link is the phono stage. Something like the Allnic or the Doshi is next possibly...I think all of these synch up with my Lyra Atlas well. What I am really after is a phono stage that also will work with Allaerts MC2 Finish and it's .19mv output, likeness for 845 ohm loading and 32 ohm internal impedance. And this phono stage is natural sounding and not a cool solid state design...

Robert Koch is planning a matching phono stage to the Koda Takami K10 one day soon...This has me really interested also...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My two cents in speaking with 2 Rockport dealers and Andy Payor...as well as with Gryphon (about my CJ being SE only when Gryphon is XLR only):

- Gryphons view was if CJ SE to XLR is perfectly silent despite the extreme gain of both units (26db and 31db)...even at full volume and no signal...and my ear next to 95db speakers...leave it. Dont try the Interocitor or any other such SE to XLR converter, etc. Seems lucky but also excellent. I have not tried balanced to Gryphon which is preferable...but i can say that i dont perceive anything between the 2 missing. seems 'perfect' to me.

- my IC from CJ GAT to Gryphon was reterminated once i was sure this is what i wanted...you can use RCA-XLR adaptor for auditioning...not so bad

- ART amps are great...will they drive the tougher Rockport loading as well? Speak with Rockport about this. on Arrakis, Andy and 2 dealers said to me to be careful. Gryphon great, but ART maybe/maybe not. Same may/may not go for your Altairs.

- Certainly in terms of ohm output, the CJ is 100ohm output due to mosfet into tube output so has a SS-like output impedance so no worries there for Ayre.

Yes, i have heard good things about CJ phonostage...but i am no vinyl guy...Myles no doubt would know.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My two cents in speaking with 2 Rockport dealers and Andy Payor...as well as with Gryphon (about my CJ being SE only when Gryphon is XLR only):

- Gryphons view was if CJ SE to XLR is perfectly silent despite the extreme gain of both units (26db and 31db)...even at full volume and no signal...and my ear next to 95db speakers...leave it. Dont try the Interocitor or any other such SE to XLR converter, etc. Seems lucky but also excellent. I have not tried balanced to Gryphon which is preferable...but i can say that i dont perceive anything between the 2 missing. seems 'perfect' to me.

- my IC from CJ GAT to Gryphon was reterminated once i was sure this is what i wanted...you can use RCA-XLR adaptor for auditioning...not so bad

- ART amps are great...will they drive the tougher Rockport loading as well? Speak with Rockport about this. on Arrakis, Andy and 2 dealers said to me to be careful. Gryphon great, but ART maybe/maybe not. Same may/may not go for your Altairs.

- Certainly in terms of ohm output, the CJ is 100ohm output due to mosfet into tube output so has a SS-like output impedance so no worries there for Ayre.

Yes, i have heard good things about CJ phonostage...but i am no vinyl guy...Myles no doubt would know.

I think it would pushing it to use the cj phono stage with the JA cartridge. I'd recommend with the ART amps that need 1.8 V to drive full range, nothing less than 0.5 mV output cartridge. You could however with the LP275, however, drive something like the ZYX in the 0.3 mV range without running into noise issues.

As far as the ART amps go, if they can drive my ML, I'd expect they could drive most speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think it would pushing it to use the cj phono stage with the JA cartridge. I'd recommend with the ART amps that need 1.8 V to drive full range, nothing less than 0.5 mV output cartridge. You could however with the LP275, however, drive something like the ZYX in the 0.3 mV range without running into noise issues.

As far as the ART amps go, if they can drive my ML, I'd expect they could drive most speakers.

Thanks for weighing in Myles. BTW, i saw on DaveyF's thread ("no way to make it better") that one of your fellow editors raved about a pair of Polymer Logic speakers and then bought them...but his bio/system are no longer on the website. Do you know if he still owns these speakers? And have you heard them? Most curious when a writer nearly unconditionally raves about a $25K speaker and mentions only one other in the review...the Alexandria X2...and concludes the Polymer is unbeatable in all aspects but sheer scale/dynamics.

I was quite intrigued, and he made a point to say no professional discount...so he paid full retail to own these.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I was quite intrigued, and he made a point to say no professional discount...so he paid full retail to own these.

Why in the world would you do that if you had a choice of buying them at 50% (or lower) off of MSRP??

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
fyi - i'm currently using a benz ebony tr with a .14mv output into a 500R load - sounds beautiful with enough gain. this is through a circa 2009 Full Function purist preamp (full function with mc and one line input). I have also had customers use AudioNote IO mc's with a .07mv output into the fet stage.

sorry to intrude - thought the info might help.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Most curious when a writer nearly unconditionally raves about a $25K speaker and mentions only one other in the review...the Alexandria X2...and concludes the Polymer is unbeatable in all aspects but sheer scale/dynamics.

Why in the world would you do that if you had a choice of buying them at 50% (or lower) off of MSRP??

He said in the article there is no discount to anyone. As the reviewer, he was given no discount by Polymer Logic, and he paid the full price to own the speakers.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
fyi - i'm currently using a benz ebony tr with a .14mv output into a 500R load - sounds beautiful with enough gain. this is through a circa 2009 Full Function purist preamp (full function with mc and one line input). I have also had customers use AudioNote IO mc's with a .07mv output into the fet stage.

sorry to intrude - thought the info might help.

Hi no intrusion, appreciate you speaking up on behalf of your product ! I have a few more questions, I'll post on your forum here..Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing