Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If you like Supertramp, then yes, I think you should hear the album. I have bought LPs because I loved on song on them, and this LP is better than that and it has really good sound.

I'll have to get it based on your word Mark. Like Christian I lost interest after I heard Breakfast and then Roger departing.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I saw Supertramp in concert twice in the late 70s. They put on a great show. One of my favorite bands at that time.

Crime, Crisis and Quietest Moments are fun albums. Breakfast not so much. I remember thinking at the time that it seemed as if Breakfast was Supertramp's version of disco which was so popular at the time, much like Some Girls was for the Stones.

I definitely recommend Brother Where You Bound. The 16 minute title track features some great guitar playing by none other than David Gilmour.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice to see you Ron! You've been missed around these parts my Prog Rock friend!

Saw them several times myself and couldn't get enough of them in those days. They were huge in Quebec and Canada in general I think. Good times. I thought BIA was a sell-out and them caving in to demands from the record company to produce a product that was more commercial. They succeeded, but the edge was gone......

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I remember thinking at the time that it seemed as if Breakfast was Supertramp's version of disco which was so popular at the time, much like Some Girls was for the Stones.

ELO had a foray into "disco" with the very cutely album titled "Discovery".

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I saw Supertramp in concert twice in the late 70s. They put on a great show. One of my favorite bands at that time.

Crime, Crisis and Quietest Moments are fun albums. Breakfast not so much. I remember thinking at the time that it seemed as if Breakfast was Supertramp's version of disco which was so popular at the time, much like Some Girls was for the Stones.

I definitely recommend Brother Where You Bound. The 16 minute title track features some great guitar playing by none other than David Gilmour.

Peace Ron. :b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Is that Electric Light Orchestra? ...Are they any good? ...I never purchased any album from them.

Surely you know a few of their songs (Evil Woman, Telephone Line, Shangri La, Mr. Blue Sky etc.). They are quite representative for what is on the albums. ELO is not some hidden gem 70s superband, but if you went through some sort of "ELO phase" durng adolesence, you will have some nostalgic appreciation for them. If not, the change you will catch ELO fever in your 40s or 50s are close to zero.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
"Face The Music" is my favorite ELO LP...has 'Fire on High' used in all the ski videos from the 1970's

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
"Face The Music" is my favorite ELO LP...has 'Fire on High' used in all the ski videos from the 1970's

The usual suspects (Evil Woman, Strange Magic) on that album are both great songs. My ELO litmus test is this. If you like their version of "Roll over Beethoven", you're a fan, if not, you hate them.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
So did you guys also buy Xanadu OST :)
Ironically that went to No1 over here in the UK for ELO.

Cheers
Orb

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So did you guys also buy Xanadu OST :)
Ironically that went to No1 over here in the UK for ELO.

Cheers
Orb

I signed off after the "out of the blue" album. Discovery was already too "disco" for my taste. Out of the blue was fantastic though. I loved "concierto for a rainy day" on that album, and I am now playing back the beatiful lyrics of "Big Wheels" in my head. As Randy Newman said (in "story of a rock and roll band") - I love that ELO.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Ok, ok, ok. I used to like ELO and still like some of the really old songs I used to liked way back when. I even saw them in concert once. I started not liking ELO when Jeff Lynne was put in charge of finishing the two unfinished Beatles' songs that were released. Jeff Lynne has huge fingerprints on everything he touches sonically. In retrospect, I think ELO was a Beatles wannabe band. Jeff Lynne then made the two unfinished Beatles' recordings sound like ELO so he came full circle with making the Beatles sound like ELO. Then listen to his influence on the Travelling Wilburys and you can hear ELO everywhere. Again, heavy-handed Jeff Lynne. Jeff Lynne producing Tom Petty? Heavy-handed Jeff Lynne.

Back to Supertramp. My UHQR showed up last night and I will play it tomorrow and hope it's a nice clean copy.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I signed off after the "out of the blue" album. Discovery was already too "disco" for my taste. Out of the blue was fantastic though. I loved "concierto for a rainy day" on that album, and I am now playing back the beatiful lyrics of "Big Wheels" in my head. As Randy Newman said (in "story of a rock and roll band") - I love that ELO.

Same here. The only one I really play is Eldorado, although I should revisit the others for old time sake I suppose.

Ok, ok, ok. I used to like ELO and still like some of the really old songs I used to liked way back when. I even saw them in concert once. I started not liking ELO when Jeff Lynne was put in charge of finishing the two unfinished Beatles' songs that were released. Jeff Lynne has huge fingerprints on everything he touches sonically. In retrospect, I think ELO was a Beatles wannabe band. Jeff Lynne then made the two unfinished Beatles' recordings sound like ELO so he came full circle with making the Beatles sound like ELO. Then listen to his influence on the Travelling Wilburys and you can hear ELO everywhere. Again, heavy-handed Jeff Lynne. Jeff Lynne producing Tom Petty? Heavy-handed Jeff Lynne.

Back to Supertramp. My UHQR showed up last night and I will play it tomorrow and hope it's a nice clean copy.

Spot on regarding Jeff and the TW's. If it weren't were the vocals you'd never know it's was them.

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on that UHQR copy. :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I saw them in Las Vegas around 1974. Some guy in the crowd shed his clothes and was too high to "streak" and was just walking around naked. The security goons came to get him, but the crowd started chanting "leave him alone" and the goons backed off.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Reading this thread is making me feel as old as the rest of you :)

FWIW I saw ELO at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto in 1975. Great concert

Old, but hopefully still HIP! Rock on!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing