Supertramp - Crime of the Century

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
LOL... I did get that Mark! I kinda got the impression that it wasn't worth more than that.

I guess I am always surprised by economic priorities. This is not a rare record. I think I would rather put the money into a rainy day fund to buy a better cartridge or hardware, which would make a standard version sound better.

For $30-40, I could probably find 15-20 copies eventually and keep the best one or two. The British version I have is pretty sumptuous sounding.

In the past, guys have brought over some of the expensive current versions of various records to play, and they have been ticked off that the cheap thrift versions can sound better. I think I would have to listen to the version before purchase, I really don't trust the fanfare surrounding the re-issues.

Of course, that is kind of raining on the love fest and for that I apologize.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Carl-You hit the nail on the head with regards to the British copy. The British copy I own is the best sounding version of Crime of the Century that I have ever heard. Even if I don't like the UHQR version, I'm pretty sure I can get my money back on resale.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I guess I am always surprised by economic priorities. This is not a rare record. I think I would rather put the money into a rainy day fund to buy a better cartridge or hardware, which would make a standard version sound better.

For $30-40, I could probably find 15-20 copies eventually and keep the best one or two. The British version I have is pretty sumptuous sounding.

In the past, guys have brought over some of the expensive current versions of various records to play, and they have been ticked off that the cheap thrift versions can sound better. I think I would have to listen to the version before purchase, I really don't trust the fanfare surrounding the re-issues.

Of course, that is kind of raining on the love fest and for that I apologize.

No love fest Carl, just an observation from someone who happens to like this album. I never said this was the best pressing although I believe it trumps my original Canadian A&M pressing by a wide margin.

Also, please don't interpret my findings as saying that reissues in general are better, because I know full well that is not necessarily the case. My 200g copy of Classic's Tubular Bells is a major disappointment, and there are others that haven't cut the mustard either.

And yeah, you are raining on the parade because this thread is about an album and a specific reissue, not a general overview of them.

Regardless, apology accepted.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't know.... I still like "Breakfast In America" better...

"Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got." I love that line.

Lucy

Apr 17, 2013
Wonderful discussion going about Supertramp albums! My favorite from Crime of the Century is Roger Hodgson's "Hide in Your Shell." The raw emotion in his voice gets me every time. Every single album from them is a treasure in its own right. Many people don't realize that although Roger and Rick shared writing credit, they actually wrote and composed separately with each singing their own respective songs. Roger gave us School, Dreamer, Breakfast in America, Take The Long Way Home, The Logical Song, Fool's Overture, It's Raining Again, and so many more. Do see Roger live in concert. I recently saw Roger live and everyone around me had a whole spectrum of emotions while reliving memories from Roger's songs. His voice is amazing and sounds even better today than on my Supertramp vinyls. He is currently on his worldwide Breakfast in America Tour with US dates coming up in Williamsport, PA, Rochester, NY, Costa Mesa, CA, Snoqualmie, WA, and Atlanta, GA. See all details at http://www.RogerHodgson.com. Take a road trip if you have to. Once I saw him I understood completely why some people say it's the best concert they have ever been to.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
For those in the British rock from that era, EMI just reissued Foxtrot, Historicity, Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Nursery Cryme, Seconds Out, Trespass from Genesis.
All this with original cover and insert on 180 gr vinyl.

Good timing as my copy have so much wear that when you play side one you can ear the side two at the same time ;-)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I don't know.... I still like "Breakfast In America" better...

My favoriet ST album would be "even in the quietest moments".

The opening line of Fool's Overture (History recalls, how great the fall can be. While everybody's sleeping. The boat's put out to sea.) is somehow burned in my mind. Not a clue what they have in mind with these lyrics, but it sounds very profound .....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My favorite ST album would be 'Even in the Quietest Moments'.

The opening line of Fool's Overture (History recalls, how great the fall can be. While everybody's sleeping. The boat's put out to sea.) is somehow burned in my mind. Not a clue what they have in mind with these lyrics, but it sounds very profound .....

Same here. :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My favourite ST album is Crisis? What Crisis, although not by a significant margin, but the songs resonate very well with me. The entire B side or 2nd side of EITQM's is killer as well....

I have a copy of the A&M Audiophile Series of C?WC? which sounds really nice and I enjoy it a lot.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
How about "Brother Where You Bound?" Highly dynamic.

I have the Mofi Breakfast and Simply Vinyl Breakfast. In either case, they come up short both musically and sound quality wise when compared to my UHQR version of Crime. Breakfast is more pop, than rock compared to Crime. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have the Mofi Breakfast and Simply Vinyl Breakfast. In either case, they come up short both musically and sound quality wise when compared to my UHQR version of Crime. Breakfast is more pop, than rock compared to Crime. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

But do you have "Brother Where You Bound?"

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I'd love to hear a copy of COTC on UHQR, but alas I never will due to the price. Still, I think the SV pressing is excllent and I'm very happy with it.

I agree with you on BIA...way too "pop" sounding for me, although very catchy and enjoyable. It's not in the same league as Crime.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I do not, should I ?
I never considered it since the band lost a pretty important member for that album...Roger Hodgson

If you like Supertramp, then yes, I think you should hear the album. I have bought LPs because I loved one song on them, and this LP is better than that and it has really good sound.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If you like Supertramp, then yes, I think you should hear the album. I have bought LPs because I loved on song on them, and this LP is better than that and it has really good sound.

There is a sealed copy on the bay I just purchased. Thanks.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If you like Supertramp, then yes, I think you should hear the album. I have bought LPs because I loved on song on them, and this LP is better than that and it has really good sound.

They is one of the many bands I used to listen to a lot (others: Fleetwood Mac, ELO, Beatles, Dire Straits) in my 20s and 30s and have not listened to in years. All this stuff is burned in my brain forever though.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Guess I'll have to get the tapes and see what all the fuss is about! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing