Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
When I first heard this album in September 1974 I ran to my local record store and purchased a copy. I've been a fan of it ever since, but have never acquired the somewhat sought-after MFSL and A&M Audiophile pressings. They aren't overly difficult to obtain, but I haven't found a copy at a price I want to pay.

Anyway, last week I saw a release from Speakers Corner that had a sticker saying this was a "Pure Analog Audiophile Mastering". This caught my eye and since I've had good luck with previous SC releases I decided to buy it. I know that some have had issues with SC, but I must be the lucky one as I've had none.

The packaging is your standard SC release. Nothing fancy, kinda unimpressive actually, but true in form when compared to the original release....although I do believe the photograph used on the one-sheet (two-sided) insert is different.

The vinyl is 180-gram, the label is dead centre (I love that) and the disc is perfectly flat. After a cleaning on my cheapo Spin-Clean I detected no pops or clicks whatsoever and it was very quiet throughout, although I've heard quieter pressings. Given that the material can really rock you out, this was, and is, of no concern to me.

The first cut on Side 1 (School) immediately told me this was going to be fun, and a happy experience. I heard things that my original did not provide and the clarity and separation of each instrument was a nice ear-opener. I had high expectations for the remaining cuts and I wasn't disappointed. This release is wonderful and I'm glad I bought it.

Although I have no other reissues to compare it to, I am very satisfied with this release from Speakers Corner. If you're a fan and also don't have other pressings for comparision, I can tell you that this would be a worthwhile addition to any collection.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I also have the Speakers Corner reissue and I concur with your assessment: a quite dramatic improvement compared to the original pressing.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I also have the Speakers Corner reissue and I concur with your assessment: a quite dramatic improvement compared to the original pressing.

I'm now hoping they'll do a reissue of Crisis? What Crisis? I do have the original and the A&M Audiophile pressing of that, so it would make for a nice comparison. Generally speaking though I do like the standard A&M pressings overall.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Funny you started this thread. I just bought the MoFi UHQR version of this LP. Supposedly it has only been played once. I also have a regular MoFi copy and a British copy.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Funny you started this thread. I just bought the MoFi UHQR version of this LP. Supposedly it has only been played once. I also have a regular MoFi copy and a British copy.

Can I ask how much the UHQR was?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I shelled out $225 plus shipping.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't have a single UHQR in my collection and I thought this one would be a good one to snag. Honestly, if it is in the condition the seller described, I think $225.00 is a decent price. Many UHQRs sell for more.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't have a single UHQR in my collection and I thought this one would be a good one to snag. Honestly, if it is in the condition the seller described, I think $225.00 is a decent price. Many UHQRs sell for more.

That is a great price. At auction in 2010, cost me $325.00 for a sealed version

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Oh, I know what you mean and I don't doubt that the price is reasonable. I don't have any UHQR's either, but this would be one I'd spring for if the situation allowed me to. Other than DSOTM, which is likely "unobtanium", there aren't many I would dish out that kind of cash for. Ok, Tubular Bells for sure, but I don't even know if that was ever released on UHQR.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have an A&M copy and a British copy, think they cost a sum total of $2.50. I see the record regularly at the thrifts.

The best I have ever heard the first cut of this record was on Steve's (onebgyn) system when he first got his Lamm ML3s and was using an Audio Research preamp and Wilson Alexandrias, but that was a digital.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have an A&M copy and a British copy, think they cost a sum total of $2.50. I see the record regularly at the thrifts.

The best I have ever heard the first cut of this record was on Steve's (onebgyn) system when he first got his Lamm ML3s and was using an Audio Research preamp and Wilson Alexandrias, but that was a digital.

Your point?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Of course, if you want the best sound short of having the master tape.

Are UHQR pressings THAT good? I'm asking as a neophite, because I've never heard one.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I thought his point was that he has only invested $2.50.

LOL... I did get that Mark! I kinda got the impression that it wasn't worth more than that.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
John, i wholeheartedly agree with you on crime. I played my copy for the first time yesterday and its fabulous. the kids voices running around in the opening of school never sounded more palpable and the bass slams ;). fwiw, the reviews on chad's site prefer it to the Mofi and they tend to be more accurate than not.

I haven’t heard a UHQR in a long time, but i've owned all of them except for dark side and st peppers. personally i wouldnt pay big mullah for any of them based on SQ. they tried to 'enhance' the eq and i think botched many of them and the rest sounded no better than an early mint UK, or US pressing. the novelty factor was high when they came out, the floyd and beatles sold out first but many of the other titles were still availabe cheap 10-yrs later.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, i wholeheartedly agree with you on crime. I played my copy for the first time yesterday and its fabulous. the kids voices running around in the opening of school never sounded more palpable and the bass slams ;). fwiw, the reviews on chad's site prefer it to the Mofi and they tend to be more accurate than not.

I haven’t heard a UHQR in a long time, but i've owned all of them except for dark side and st peppers. personally i wouldnt pay big mullah for any of them based on SQ. they tried to 'enhance' the eq and i think botched many of them and the rest sounded no better than an early mint UK, or US pressing. the novelty factor was high when they came out, the floyd and beatles sold out first but many of the other titles were still availabe cheap 10-yrs later.

I just read those reviews Rob and I'm glad to read my impressions are shared with several others. And YES, the bass slams indeed! :)Guess my ears at almost 60 are still functioning properly.:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I just read those reviews Rob and I'm glad to read my impressions are shared with several others. And YES, the bass slams indeed! :)Guess my ears at almost 60 are still functioning properly.:D

Bass will be the last to go. First comes the highs...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing