Supertramp - Crime of the Century

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
On the back of the album cover for Crime Of The Century, above the song's play list. Printed : To Sam . Who was Sam?

theophile

I owned the MFSL of Crime of the Century many years ago and I was never that fond of the sound quality.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
On the back of the album cover for Crime Of The Century, above the song's play list. Printed : To Sam . Who was Sam?

From Wikipedia:
In 1969 Stanley 'Sam' August Miesegaes, a Dutch millionaire, became disappointed with, then dropped, The Joint, the band he was financially supporting. He offered Swindon-born keyboardist Rick Davies, whose talent he felt had been "bogged down" by the group,[SUP][10][/SUP] an opportunity to form his own band, again with Miesegaes's financial backing.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I owned the MFSL of Crime of the Century many years ago and I was never that fond of the sound quality.

The more I talk to people the more they say that the Speakers Corner reissue is the best there is. Glad I have that, since it's now OOP, but would still like a MFSL. Call me crazy.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Well, I still own the MFSL and listen to it from time to time - last time it was in a friend's system using Magico Q7's. We found it sounded excellent. I only compared it with good British pressings and found it superior to any of them. As they say YMMV.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Release date is December 8, 2104

Pre-orders are up at Amazon.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great news! I will get the digital versions :).

Amir,

Digital fans had to wait 40 years to get a decent version of Crime of the Century. Fortunately I could listen to an already great sounding version when I was eighteen. Great days ...

theophile

Well, I still own the MFSL and listen to it from time to time - last time it was in a friend's system using Magico Q7's. We found it sounded excellent. I only compared it with good British pressings and found it superior to any of them. As they say YMMV.

The UK ones that I had sucked also. There is a better pressing than the MFSL. I just won't say precisely which...

I haven't heard the Speaker's Corner pressing and I do have respect for their product. I'm inclined to purchase both this 40th anniversary vinyl and the Speakers Corner just to see how good they are. I love the music and the recording(mostly). Really though the truest test of a system is simply miked recording live in a superb hall/church. The majority of those recordings are Classical.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The UK ones that I had sucked also. There is a better pressing than the MFSL. I just won't say precisely which...

I haven't heard the Speaker's Corner pressing and I do have respect for their product. I'm inclined to purchase both this 40th anniversary vinyl and the Speakers Corner just to see how good they are. I love the music and the recording(mostly). Really though the truest test of a system is simply miked recording live in a superb hall/church. The majority of those recordings are Classical.

Toshiba Pro-use?

theophile

Toshiba Pro-use?

This the internet. If I say which one it is, the next time I want to buy another I can neither find one nor afford it. I wouldn't say which one for anything.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This the internet. If I say which one it is, the next time I want to buy another I can neither find one nor afford it. I wouldn't say which one for anything.

I am speechless ...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Preorder for the 3LP vinyl version is up. Huge difference in pricing:

Amazon CA: $36.21 CAD

Amazon UK: £55.99 GBP
Amazon US: $59.98 USD

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Need to check a little more, but this new 40th Anniversary reissue was apparently done from the original analog tapes. I'm not convinced as I found no links that verifies this claim.

theophile

Need to check a little more, but this new 40th Anniversary reissue was apparently done from the original analog tapes. I'm not convinced as I found no links that verifies this claim.

They're not bullshitting. They digitised the Master tape from the original analogue Master.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Not disagreeing but any links verifying this?
Looking at Discogs (appreciate it does not necessarily reflect all details) it shows (explicitely states) that the 2002 was remastered from original master tapes saying
Recorded at Trident, Ramport Studios and Scorpio Sound, London, between February and June, 1974.
Mastered from the original master tapes at Sterling Sound, New York, 2002.

? 1974 A&M Records © 2002 A&M Records. A division of UMG Recordings, Inc.
A Universal Music Company
Made in the EU

However the 2014 triple LP says:
40th Anniversary Edition 180 gram 3LP Set
Original Album + 1975 Hammersmith Odeon Concert
Mastered For Vinyl And Cut By Ray Staff, Air Studios, London
Hammersmith Odeon Concert Mixed By Ken Scott
Contains Booklet With Notes By Phil Alexander, MOJO Magazine
2x Artcards + A Download Of The Whole Album

That could still mean original master tapes were used, unfortunately still a bit unclear to me to be definite.
So any other verification would be great.
Thanks
Orb

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
my UHQR is awesome. pristine, quiet, and very dynamic. a frequent demo disc for me.

so if there is really a better pressing I'd sure like to hear it.....till then I'm doubtful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing