Help getting started

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Totem is a good option, I had the Tabu and the Mani2 - both good speakers with the right amp (here either Clasee or NAD could work). Did I read correctly when you said that used is not an option?

Yousefp

Apr 13, 2013
Hi guys I am begining to loose hope that floor standers could do what I need. Bottom line seems that for what I need which is huge bass, good quality subs are the best option. Is that the best bet? Get some subs for around 1.5 k and keep the carnival 8 speakers I currently have and spend a 2-3 k on a amp I will keep for a 5 years then upgrade the speakers in 1-2 years. Would that work?

Also a question about Cambridge audio. do they have anything in the amp/receiver department that would help me at any price?

In response to flez007. I would consider used stuff but there are slim pickings in my area and am not experienced enough to buy without auditions.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Greshman Sonogram. Room and amp friendly.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack is correct - the stands could fix the boomy problems. But they did not look pretty on the stands. :eek:

Sometimes we have funny coincidences - I got a deal for a friend with a mint pair of 801s series 3 today. My dealer got them in part exchange and as I have had them long ago he called me asking if I knew anyone wanting them - ten minutes later they had found a new owner. The previous owner upgraded them with several improvements, including WBT terminals.

Yup, not pretty. Definitely.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi guys I am begining to loose hope that floor standers could do what I need. Bottom line seems that for what I need which is huge bass, good quality subs are the best option. Is that the best bet? Get some subs for around 1.5 k and keep the carnival 8 speakers I currently have and spend a 2-3 k on a amp I will keep for a 5 years then upgrade the speakers in 1-2 years. Would that work?

Also a question about Cambridge audio. do they have anything in the amp/receiver department that would help me at any price?

In response to flez007. I would consider used stuff but there are slim pickings in my area and am not experienced enough to buy without auditions.

Dont give up hope! Persistence is the key!

1. Can you list your current equipment?
2. Personally, i sense bass is one of your primary goals....i have had a sub for the same reasons since the very beginning
3. How happy are you with the mids and uppers of your carnivals?
4. Depending on your current amps, yes, upgraded amps can make a suprisingly improvement in not just mids/uppers but also the power and snap/tightness of bass...often upper bass which makes a positive impression on the impact.
5. As for hearing/auditioning, caution is smart...so what options are there in your area to hear? Lets start with that.

Yousefp

Apr 13, 2013
Thanks

Thanks so much for the encouragement I am looking into options and doing auditions this sunday. I will be sure to report back once finished.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing