Help getting started

Yousefp

Apr 13, 2013
I need help deciding what set up and which speakers I should buy. I will try to break it
down.

I want a set up for music first and HT second.

I listen to an wide variety of music from classic rock to Dub Step.

Having said that if I am honest I want a set up that will transport me and my friends back to a time when life was simple and music brought us together. So Electronic Dance Music with masive base and good old Rock tunes from Zepplin to ACDC.

Back in my day I bought a pair of masssive speaksers off a truck, they covered all areas from bass to horn tweaters which fired out the hi highs.

I have examined options from Cerwin Vega to JBL as what I understand to be stereo 2.1

Can I get what I want from a well powered pair of Cerwin Vega XLS-215?
Is there a better speaker for this purpose?

Would I be better off with another pair of speaker paired with a series of subwoffers?

As for the PRE/AMP I am have a connection in the industry and can get things for Cost so any suggestions?

Price- 3000$ For speakers only AMP is a seperate budget.

Please suggest

1) set up
2) speakers
3) AMP

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Big speakers, Big sound? I'd suggest trying the home demo offer for a pair of Von Schweikert VR-33s. It's a bit over budget at a shade under 4k and only sold factory direct. You might find one within or below your budget for a used pair on AudioGon or the trading circle of Audio Circle.

They are designed to be set up close to the front walls and 6 to 10 feet apart.

I would suggest given the infrasonics of Dub Step or straight up 2-Step Garage or Dub, a solid state amp in the 150wpc or higher range.

It also a very nuanced loudspeaker with great layering and atmospherics so it does great for chill outs and cool downs playing genres such as Ambient, Deep House, Goa, Psych Rock and Progressive House and Trance or the occasional rock ballad.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If you are looking for an indestructible powerhouse speaker with bass that brings you back to the good ol' days when it was all about bass, power, and some highs...but probably still looking for smoothness and quality...within the $3000 range, i would suggest you search for a 2nd hand B&W 800, 801 or possibly 802. They are beasts, indestructible, have big bass power, (but will require a big amp with high current to drive it well).

There is an 801 Matrix-series B&W on Audigon for less than $2K. Often used in studios, there is also some nice kudos there for having a set of these which is fun.

With the savings you could get a sub if you really, really want to bring down the house, but be careful with system matching at a $1K sub level. Second hand, you still might need to spend a bit more ($2.5K)... to get something like a Velodyne DD18.

One man's opinion...good luck.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Besides B&W, i would also consider Paradigm as an option, lots of sound at that budget range.

Yousefp

Apr 13, 2013
Thanks everyone for taking the time. I will definitely look into those options. Any advice about amps I have never purchased one and will be at the mercy of the sales people. I have about 2k set aside for the amp.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd look for a Bryston 4B or 4B ST with that budget :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I agree with NAD, Bryston as great very powerful amps. I would caution B&W and Bryston depending on your source. The B&Ws can occassionally feel a tough bright in my limited experience, so while the Bryston will be a great match in terms of controlling the speaker (which it needs), you may also wish to ensure you like the treble response. Another option is a second hand set of Forte 4 amps...(not the 5)...the Forte 4 is very high quality, Class A amplification but only 50 watts...so you'd need to get 2...but you could do that within your budget and then with 100-200 watts depending on its reaction to loading...you've got really good quality, pure treble and powerful bass...and enough juice to drive good volume out of these speakers.

Also agree about Paradigm. Great value for money and more full range than equivalently priced speakers. Good luck.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
With B&W Matrix speakers I'd definitely go with Krell.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
With B&W Matrix speakers I'd definitely go with Krell.

Agree...question will be which Krell for $2K? I was not the biggest fan of the KAV series. There are 2 bigger Krell amps available on AGon...KSA 250 and FPB200, for 2K-2.5K. Will need to do some due diligence to ensure good working order.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For the OP's uses I'd lean towards the FPB. The KAVs were not as robust down below but with 801 MkIIIs in particular, which were big bottomed when not on stands, they work out quite well together. I wouldn't mate one with an 802 however. Actually as Matrix's go, for me it's 801 or nothin'.

Yousefp

Apr 13, 2013
Thanks once again for the great feedback. Does this mean that the 801 is only to be found used. If that's the case and I can track one down how do I know it's in good shape? Due dillegence was mentioned and I can relate to that concept but could someone mention key categories to look for in both speakers and amps.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks once again for the great feedback. Does this mean that the 801 is only to be found used. If that's the case and I can track one down how do I know it's in good shape? Due dillegence was mentioned and I can relate to that concept but could someone mention key categories to look for in both speakers and amps.

Hi, the 801 at your price is definitely going to be second hand...and probably 10 years old...Matrix Series is a few generations ago in speaker terms. But excellent stuff in any event. In terms of ANY equipment bought second hand from far away...i typically have done 2-3 things to get comfortable.

1. See it myself with an engineer...worth a trip. I've done it twice...and i can tell you stories off-line that made the effort well worth it...both successful trips by the way.
2. Get a reference from a big local dealer with whom you speak first...have him vouch for this person's honesty...maybe even take delivery of the 801 and ship it to you. I once had a seller who worked with his local dealer to do this, and it made me a lot more comfortable. Not bullet proof, but more comfortable. (The seller was a public figure so i also had some comfort from that as well.)
3. In some cases, i have agreed with the Seller I pay to have it shipped to the manufacturer...who confirms its in good shape. If good, i pay in full and deal with the manufacturer to ship it on to me. If not good, we agree the cost to repair and who pays...and carry on from there.

Good luck. Feel free to post further questions.

Yousefp

Apr 13, 2013
Wow you guys are awesome. On another site I posted the only feedback I get Is clearly from people with vested interests. Ill do some research and get back after I'm a little further down the line. I must say I am enjoying learning about all this and now that I've got some money to play with I could see this becoming a hobby that gets out of hand in a really great kind of way. My wife is already pissed, but I suspect she will accept it considering the alternatives.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The B&W 801 Matrix had three series - I have owned a series 3, the last model. It needs a big room, otherwise it can sound boomy, and needs a powerful amplifier with good damping. In smaller rooms the B&W 802 can be a safer bet and does not need a very powerful amplifier - I used it with an ARC D70, voices were really fantastic. This pair of old 801's is now playing with a vintage Electrocompaniet AW250 - a great match.

The last series had a quality internal wiring by van dan Hul - as far as I remember the first one had a cheap thin wire with poor quality terminals.

The B&W 801 has several electrolytic capacitors in the crossover - 30 years later they will probably need replacement. Another issue with the 801 and 802 is that in general they are overpriced in the used market - the consequence of having been famous. ;)

About Krell - the recent integrated, the S300i, sounds great with B&W.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd skip the Matrix Series ones and twos. The surrounds disintegrate. Besides, the APOC protection circuitry did more harm than good IMO. I grew up listening to these speakers and yes as micro says they NEED a lot of power albeit I would disagree that they need a really big room to avoid being boomy, stands fixed that to a great degree. I can't see the Matrix 802 doing Dubstep. Back in the day Raffy's 802s driven by a KSA 200 coughing up fur balls playing less demanding house like Oakenfold or Leftfield. Skrillex would kill it.

Yousefp

Apr 13, 2013
I have done some looking around and two things have come up. I cannot find any 801's which are for sale and/or logistically feasible. I should mention I live in Canada, Toronto to be exact. As the used market may not be an option I wonder about new speakers. Jack you mentioned the Von Schweikert model and I will look into those regarding shipping and taxes. I have a friend who works for Totem are there any Totem models at any price that would do considering what I need? Or would it be feasible to buy say totem speakers and then add some subs? Any thoughts?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have done some looking around and two things have come up. I cannot find any 801's which are for sale and/or logistically feasible. I should mention I live in Canada, Toronto to be exact. As the used market may not be an option I wonder about new speakers. Jack you mentioned the Von Schweikert model and I will look into those regarding shipping and taxes. I have a friend who works for Totem are there any Totem models at any price that would do considering what I need? Or would it be feasible to buy say totem speakers and then add some subs? Any thoughts?

Since you are in Canada, totem is a good option...but you'll likely want a dedicated sub or two. paradigm is also Canadian I think.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'd skip the Matrix Series ones and twos. The surrounds disintegrate. Besides, the APOC protection circuitry did more harm than good IMO. I grew up listening to these speakers and yes as micro says they NEED a lot of power albeit I would disagree that they need a really big room to avoid being boomy, stands fixed that to a great degree. I can't see the Matrix 802 doing Dubstep. Back in the day Raffy's 802s driven by a KSA 200 coughing up fur balls playing less demanding house like Oakenfold or Leftfield. Skrillex would kill it.

Jack is correct - the stands could fix the boomy problems. But they did not look pretty on the stands. :eek:

Sometimes we have funny coincidences - I got a deal for a friend with a mint pair of 801s series 3 today. My dealer got them in part exchange and as I have had them long ago he called me asking if I knew anyone wanting them - ten minutes later they had found a new owner. The previous owner upgraded them with several improvements, including WBT terminals.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing