HRS M3X Isolation base

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm on solid concrete and I can jump all day without affecting the turntable. Aren't the vibraplanes about eliminating that and also (more importantly) airborne vibration and in our case vibration caused by the music playing ? Passive isolation cannot deal with that can it ?
You definitely need one under your AF1 Jack....;)

One can still make an argument that air is still a coupler and you need something to really absorb and dissipate vibrations. Then there's the question of what frequencies need to isolate, and whether you're addressing energy entering the system, leaving the system or picked up by the system.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
One vote for SRA, I just installed a scuttle which was expensive and a pain in the ass getting up two flights of stairs(4*2 version), but I was pleasantly blown away by the the results. The back ground is way blacker, the separation of the instruments markedly improved. I was a bit nervous I would have some serious buyers remorse, as if I has bought in to snake oil or something, but it was a dramatic system changing improvement. Couldn't be happier.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The airborne vibrations is more about quickly converting the energy to heat. I'm not too familiar with the top plate of the vibraplane but if I'm mistaken it is a solid aluminum plate. Aluminum has great damping but it can still ring by iteslf. Usually you want something softer or something hard with a damping layer or a material with specific damping properties like acrylics with particular grains. So far the best I've ever heard use combinations of materials for constrained layer damping same way your table uses aluminum, acrylic and panzerwood which itself is a combination of woods with different densities. Same goes for the best footers like the Stillpoints (aluminum/ceramic), Symposium (aluminum/tungsten), Magico Pods (aluminum/polymer), Walker (Brass/Polymer), RiZE (Aluminum/Polymer/Titanium) etc.

I often see electron microscopes referenced and it is really hard to argue with that so I won't. It just makes me wonder about what the differences are in the environments an electron microscope is used and that of an audio environment. I mean I don't think EMs are used in places where it would be subjected to the levels of airborne vibration like that you would find in a listening room with music playing. Most labs are pretty quiet. The isolation I would assume would be engineered more towards very low frequency seismic and other ground borne vibrations. I have no doubt a vibraplane would do an excellent job. I just wonder if it is as good at audio as it is for what it was originally designed for. I'm not curious enough to find out for myself.

Not sure I agree because electron microscopes are moving in tiny micron or less motions so any vibration would be counterproductive

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Why not build a system using same setup as telescopes :)
Can be done cheapish for individual components, or massively expensive that also looks at the foundation/infrastructure as in the large scale institution/national observatory ones.

Amazingly never thought of that until now and this thread lol, might try some of the medium priced ones myself.
Cheers
Orb

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not sure I agree because electron microscopes are moving in tiny micron or less motions so any vibration would be counterproductive

Absolutely and sensitive to VLFs.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Why not build a system using same setup as telescopes :)
Can be done cheapish for individual components, or massively expensive that also looks at the foundation/infrastructure as in the large scale institution/national observatory ones.

Amazingly never thought of that until now and this thread lol, might try some of the medium priced ones myself.
Cheers
Orb

There are a few manufacturers such as Transparent and SRA that have built suspended foundations into their custom designed rooms.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thats interesting Myles,
did they ever discuss who they used for the design/implementation?
Just curious.
Cheers
Orb

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I'm very sure we agree on the floor borne vibrations. I'm just questioning the air borne vibrations such devices are usually exposed to.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The airborne vibrations is more about quickly converting the energy to heat. I'm not too familiar with the top plate of the vibraplane but if I'm mistaken it is a solid aluminum plate. Aluminum has great damping but it can still ring by iteslf. Usually you want something softer or something hard with a damping layer or a material with specific damping properties like acrylics with particular grains. So far the best I've ever heard use combinations of materials for constrained layer damping same way your table uses aluminum, acrylic and panzerwood which itself is a combination of woods with different densities. Same goes for the best footers like the Stillpoints (aluminum/ceramic), Symposium (aluminum/tungsten), Magico Pods (aluminum/polymer), Walker (Brass/Polymer), RiZE (Aluminum/Polymer/Titanium) etc.

I often see electron microscopes referenced and it is really hard to argue with that so I won't. It just makes me wonder about what the differences are in the environments an electron microscope is used and that of an audio environment. I mean I don't think EMs are used in places where it would be subjected to the levels of airborne vibration like that you would find in a listening room with music playing. Most labs are pretty quiet. The isolation I would assume would be engineered more towards very low frequency seismic and other ground borne vibrations. I have no doubt a vibraplane would do an excellent job. I just wonder if it is as good at audio as it is for what it was originally designed for. I'm not curious enough to find out for myself.

this is current state of the art for isolating electron microscopes;

http://www.herzan.com/products/active-vibration-control/ts-series.html

Vibraplanes and any air bladder isolation was state of the art in the 90's. they have limitations. they are passive isolators with active leveling.

here are tutorials for determining isolation needs for industry; including electron microscopes.

pay attention particularly to the 'active verses passive' tutorial. the HRS is passive.

http://www.herzan.com/resources/tutorials.html

if you read thru the whole thing it's quite the same as audio. the ideal is basement of a building built on a good hard bedrock, then with a grounded rack, and active isolation like one of the TS Series isolation shelves above.

and you will typically find research labs will have their most important measurment intruments in a basement lab for just these type reasons.

i've heard the Halcyonic version of active isolation in my system which is not quite as advanced as the above referenced TS series. it's a revelation properly used.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There is a fundamental difference between electron microscopes and turntables - the former is a an almost static device during operation and the second is a dynamic system. The intrinsic movements of the playing turntable generate energy and this energy must be dragged to some place other than the LP surface and needle. Every designer has a strategy to dissipate this type of energy - and the way he chooses to do it will determinate the interaction with the vibraplane or equivalent type of suspension. A rotating turntable will probably generate some kind of movement around 1.8 and 3.6 Hz - the resonance zone of most of these devices.

IMHO if anyone is thinking about buying an isolating device for a turntable he should consult with the turntable designer.

I have owned an active Vibraplane - it had a great effect on my Forsell air bearing CD transport. I sold it mainly because it was too heavy and I almost seriously hurt my back while manipulating it! :eek:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
this is current state of the art for isolating electron microscopes;

http://www.herzan.com/products/active-vibration-control/ts-series.html

Vibraplanes and any air bladder isolation was state of the art in the 90's. they have limitations. they are passive isolators with active leveling.

here are tutorials for determining isolation needs for industry; including electron microscopes.

pay attention particularly to the 'active verses passive' tutorial. the HRS is passive.

http://www.herzan.com/resources/tutorials.html

if you read thru the whole thing it's quite the same as audio. the ideal is basement of a building built on a good hard bedrock, then with a grounded rack, and active isolation like one of the TS Series isolation shelves above.

and you will typically find research labs will have their most important measurment intruments in a basement lab for just these type reasons.

i've heard the Halcyonic version of active isolation in my system which is not quite as advanced as the above referenced TS series. it's a revelation properly used.

Mike:

We had a member a while back who worked for a company that made these isolation devices. Somewhere on WBF is his post where he went into some length describing differences between active and passive, etc.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
do you have any idea how much these babies go for ?

looks like I am giving Herzan a call. The TS 140 is what I need. What I like other than the apparent superior isolation performance is one box, no compressor, and no minimum load requirements. No need to get the addition ballast weight that you need for the Vibraplanes to get at a minimum load. I'm betting these things are $7-$10k....

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Has anyone tried a Silent Running Audio Ohio+ base under a turntable?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
looks like I am giving Herzan a call. The TS 140 is what I need. What I like other than the apparent superior isolation performance is one box, no compressor, and no minimum load requirements. No need to get the addition ballast weight that you need for the Vibraplanes to get at a minimum load. I'm betting these things are $7-$10k....

Group buy! ;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

approx $11k-$13k. it depends on the footprint of the gear you want on it. it's simple to use, just plug it in, it levels itself and you are good to go.

and your Adona with the heavy granite top is the perfect type of rack to use the TS series with. this is one reason i wanted a grounded rack instead of a de-coupled rack, at some point i was going to go this direction. the other time i tried the Halyconics active shelf i was using the Grand Prix Audio Monaco which was much less than ideal.....and it still blew my mind.

i do agree with Micro as far as the fact that no one approach is perfect for every application. but i disagree that the designer will always know what works best. only your personal ears can tell you that information. sometimes designers are pig headed and not open to things.

good luck.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Has anyone tried a Silent Running Audio Ohio+ base under a turntable?

I use the VR Isobase under my VPI table in a Craz rack.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing