active monitors 2.0, please help me

eduardx

Apr 10, 2013
I just read some reviews about Focal Twin 6Be. I dream about :) i think they sound perfect.
Are they recommend for listening music or they are only for music mix, recording, etc ?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I just read some reviews about Focal Twin 6Be. I dream about :) i think they sound perfect.
Are they recommend for listening music or they are only for music mix, recording, etc ?

It's a really great speaker. Very analytical though if you like that sound. They definitely let you know how the music is recorded. They are certainly not sugar coated.
I just review another active speaker that I think is even better....... the PTE Phoenix

eduardx

Apr 10, 2013
If i use this external soundcard, could i plug in the headphones and leave them there, without to unplug them everytime when i want to use the speakers ?
I didnt find a video about this soundcard + headphones.
You said "yes" Bruce. But how do i switch from headphones to speakers and vice versa, from the external card M-Audio Fast Track Pro buttons ?
Thank you, again

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
You said "yes" Bruce. But how do i switch from headphones to speakers and vice versa, from the external card M-Audio Fast Track Pro buttons ?
Thank you, again

As far as I know the headphone output is always active, so you don't need to switch.

eduardx

Apr 10, 2013
Bruce, maybe im offtopic now but, please tell me why so many people say ¨ stop, dont buy active monitors, go for passive + amp ¨

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce, maybe im offtopic now but, please tell me why so many people say ¨ stop, dont buy active monitors, go for passive + amp ¨

It has always been accepted in audiophile circles that separates sound better.

1. Monoblocs sound better than stereo amps
2. Separate amp and pre sound better than integrated amps
3. Separate amp and speakers (passive) sound better than actives
4. External clocks sound better than internal clocks

Most of these 'myths' were very true back in the early days when active speakers were no more than a small amp inside of a box. The pro side fell in love with these because they were portable and each engineer could take their favorite speaker to any gig they had. There are compromises that must be made when you put everything inside one box. Lately, manufacturers have gotten better of late. They are now using Class A/AB amps, better power supplies, active and passive x-overs and better cabinet build. The Wilson W/P actually started out as a Pro speaker. Granted, buying a separate speaker and amp you can now tailor how you want your system to sound and this appeals to audiophiles. You're not stuck with how the amp and speaker sound together. Granted, the speaker designer knows more about how the crossover and amp should interact with its components.
There are a few speaker companies now that put out actives with no compromises.

eduardx

Apr 10, 2013
There are a few speaker companies now that put out actives with no compromises.
For example ?
Focal ? Genelec ? Adam ?
And one more thing : i'm a beginner, and i think, it's better with an external amp because of the posibilty to adjust the treble / bass / balance / from the buttons.
With the active speakers that's impossible.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
For example ?
Focal ? Genelec ? Adam ?
And one more thing : i'm a beginner, and i think, it's better with an external amp because of the posibilty to adjust the treble / bass / balance / from the buttons.
With the active speakers that's impossible.

Yes, Focal, Adam and PTE
I didn't know you could adjust the treble/bass/balance from and external amp.... maybe a preamp, but you would need one of these to run actives anyway. Most active speakers that I've seen have a full array of treble/bass/balance adjustments.

eduardx

Apr 10, 2013
Yes, Focal, Adam and PTE
I didn't know you could adjust the treble/bass/balance from and external amp.... maybe a preamp, but you would need one of these to run actives anyway. Most active speakers that I've seen have a full array of treble/bass/balance adjustments.

Could you, please, show me some of active speakers with treble/bass/balance adjustments ?
As an example : Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
M Audio BX8 D2
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

They are pretty good speakers, but i couldnt see adjusment for treble/ bass /balance
Only for the volume.
I didnt' understand what do you mean with "but you would need one of these to run actives anyway"
Tha means, i do need a amp or preamp, even if i use active speakers ?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Could you, please, show me some of active speakers with treble/bass/balance adjustments ?
As an example : Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
M Audio BX8 D2
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

They are pretty good speakers, but i couldnt see adjusment for treble/ bass /balance
Only for the volume.
I didnt' understand what do you mean with "but you would need one of these to run actives anyway"
Tha means, i do need a amp or preamp, even if i use active speakers ?

Higher priced active speakers do not have a volume knob. My Yamaha's do, but my Focal's don't. This means I need a way to control the volume, either by using a pre-amp or DAC volume control, or just by using the computer, which I do not recommend.

Speakers such as the Adam's, have adjustments for input sensitivity, low-shelf, high-shelf, tweeter gain and EQ gain at a fixed freq.

eduardx

Apr 10, 2013
Could i use an pre-amp if i have active speaker ? Would you, please, show me some pre-amps just to have an idea ?
Thank you, Bruce.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Higher priced active speakers do not have a volume knob. My Yamaha's do, but my Focal's don't. This means I need a way to control the volume, either by using a pre-amp or DAC volume control, or just by using the computer, which I do not recommend.

Speakers such as the Adam's, have adjustments for input sensitivity, low-shelf, high-shelf, tweeter gain and EQ gain at a fixed freq.

How about using a high quality passive linestage..like from Luminous Audio etc...

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
How about using a high quality passive linestage..like from Luminous Audio etc...

Any active or passive should work. I've used an EMM Labs Switchman 3, Crane Song Avocet, Dangerous Music ST/SR or you could use any of the thousands of consumer preamps available.

A great streamlined system would be to get active speakers and a Mytek Stereo 192/DSD and use its own volume.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Any active or passive should work. I've used an EMM Labs Switchman 3, Crane Song Avocet, Dangerous Music ST/SR or you could use any of the thousands of consumer preamps available.

A great streamlined system would be to get active speakers and a Mytek Stereo 192/DSD and use its own volume.

Agree, although I feel the MyTek sounds its best in Volume ByPass mode.

I'm ditching my preamp soon and ordering a Luminous Audio Axiom II..

Down the road, I plan eventually going source direct to active speakers.

Maybe a PSI model..they really are audiophile grade.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing