First High End Turntable

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Back in the late 60's or early 70's I had a Transcriptor TT similar, but not identical, to the one seen in Clockwork Orange.

It had some great features I wish my SME had: Namely, a camel hair brush that tracked the record just upstream of the needle while the record was plating; A little brush that wiped the needle when it returned to rest; And, a built-in strobe.

Very cool.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Back in the late 60's or early 70's I had a Transcriptor TT similar, but not identical, to the one seen in Clockwork Orange.

It had some great features I wish my SME had: Namely, a camel hair brush that tracked the record just upstream of the needle while the record was plating; A little brush that wiped the needle when it returned to rest; And, a built-in strobe.

Very cool.

Think there was a Transcriptor table for sale on Audiogon not too long back ;)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The first that would have been considered high end was the Techniques SP-10 MK-II purchased in the mid to late 70's if I recall correctly. My next was the original VPI with a Souther arm, and then another VPI and finally another VPI.

Attachments

• technics_sp10mki&#105.jpg
    technics_sp10mki&#105.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 153

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Think there was a Transcriptor table for sale on Audiogon not too long back ;)

I wish I still had it. I left it with my brother while going to graduate school and it disappeared along with a beautiful Radford preamp/amp.

The Transcriptor was a real chick magnet...Watching those big brass pucks glinting in the candlelight...Very romantic. :D

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Myles,

My first decent TT was a Planar 3 also with the vaunted Grace F9E cartridge and Grace 707 MKII arm. All in all a very decent setup and I still have it stored in a closet. At the time I thought the $100+ cost of the F9E was crazy expensive but bought it anyway. The first stylus survived for about a year until my wife removed it with her dust cloth.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

My first decent TT was a Planar 3 also with the vaunted Grace F9E cartridge and Grace 707 MKII arm. All in all a very decent setup and I still have it stored in a closet. At the time I thought the $100+ cost of the F9E was crazy expensive but bought it anyway. The first stylus survived for about a year until my wife removed it with her dust cloth.

OK years ago, my ex-wife wanted to buy a Chanel suit (circa mid '80s) probably ran at that time for around $1700. I looked at her in horror about the cost and she cooly looked at me and said, well it's the price of one of your cartridges :(

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
OK years ago, my ex-wife wanted to buy a Chanel suit (circa mid '80s) probably ran at that time for around $1700. I looked at her in horror about the cost and she cooly looked at me and said, well it's the price of one of your cartridges :(

Busted! :) Fpr some reason, I am reminded of the scene in North Sea Hijack, wherein Roger Moore's character is talking to someone on a train. Some lady says to him in a slightly judgementat way, "I bet you're one of those people who does the Times crossword in 10 minutes". His somewhat indignant reply: "Madam, I have *never* taken 10 minutes to do the Time crossword" (the implication being that he was offended that she thought he'd take so LONG to finish it).

I just envisage Myles daying to his wife "honey, I would never spend $1700 on a cartridge!". :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Busted! :) Fpr some reason, I am reminded of the scene in North Sea Hijack, wherein Roger Moore's character is talking to someone on a train. Some lady says to him in a slightly judgementat way, "I bet you're one of those people who does the Times crossword in 10 minutes". His somewhat indignant reply: "Madam, I have *never* taken 10 minutes to do the Time crossword" (the implication being that he was offended that she thought he'd take so LONG to finish it).

I just envisage Myles daying to his wife "honey, I would never spend $1700 on a cartridge!". :)

Well when have a joint bank account, hard to hide the expenditure.

Just like those people who claim that Audio Research never changes the look of their equipment so the wives won't know their husbands bought a new piece of gear. Right! Like they didn't notice that 5 or 10 K missing from the bank account :)

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California

Just like those people who claim that Audio Research never changes the look of their equipment so the wives won't know their husbands bought a new piece of gear. Right! Like they didn't notice that 5 or 10 K missing from the bank account :)

I would NEVER spend $5 or 10k on an amp!!!!! Ahhhhhhhahhhhhhahhhahhahh.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com

You're not wrong there! :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I guess my first decent turntable was the original AR. I was in the military and some guy in my barracks had bought it brand new and had never taken it out of the box. He looked in the box and was too intimidated by what he thought was a big project to assemble the table. I think I paid him $25 and I had it up and running within 10-15 minutes. Many tables have come after that one. I bought a SOTA Star Sapphire brand new and I loved the sound of that table. I currently have a VPI TNT with SDS and I am very happy with this table.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

They know. It's what they do.

moray james

Jun 11, 2010
Calgary on the Bow
yahoo.com
I started with a BSR changer taken from my sisters old Sears portable stereo. Next was a brand new Dual 1229 (which I loved) then a slew of Thorens TD165 and 160's which I tuned up and sold to buy an Oracle Delphi Mk2. I loved the idea of the Oracle but it drove me nuts. A three spring suspension is a bad idea. Then a long gap and lots of CD's. I just bought a new Continuo table with a Cantus mechanical parallel tracking tonearm made by Rauna of Sweden. When I get it up and running I will let you all know what I think. This is my last kick at the cat for commercial products, after this I will probably want to build something myself.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Welcome Moray!

Remind me who makes the Continuo? Sounds like it should be a nice set-up!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Yes welcome to the forum Moray, I trust that you will find out we have a good crowd here.

I too started out listening to my older sister's turntables. She was given one of those pink cases to play 45's on in the late 1960's - Motown era. Then when we were both in our early teens had a changer from Sears or Montgomery Wards with built-in receiver. Later in our mid-teens upgraded to a neighbors used Philco system, not much better just larger speakers. It was not until I was 18 or 19 that I bought my own first system featuring a Sanyo belt drive TT with S-shape tonearm and fairly expensive for me Empire cartridge and later Audio Technica cartridge. It was ten years later I upgraded to a Dual CS-503-1 which 20 years later I still have, but modified like crazy.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing