KMA 100 Monoblocks

Keith UK

Apr 9, 2013
Hi Guys

I've been lurking on WBF for a while and found it both informative and interesting although some of the gear discussed would be viewed as quite exotic and inaccessible in the UK.

Now speaking of which, I have a pair of the above dated from about 1985 and I love 'em! Unfortunately one of them is poorly at the moment and although there are a few guys in the UK willing to repair them some of the parts are rare as hens teeth.

So anyone know where we could access some caps and transistors. I believe the caps have to be matching in order not to blow and apparently this is part of the problem (I'm no expert just going on what I've been told). Any help would be much appreciated and this is not only for me but also for other Krell owners in the UK who own some of the older gear.

Best regards
Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have you spoken with Pedro at Absolute Sounds? Encyclopedic knowledge. Or Steve at Hifi Trading Station...can also put you in touch with few local audio techs who are excellent.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Won't Krell sell you the parts you need?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Won't Krell sell you the parts you need?

if they have them. i kept a ksa-50 mkII in the closet for old time's sake till i found out many parts were unobtainium and sold it asap. if one kma needs a re-cap id do both at the same time. there is a guy that services a lot of old krell, he posts on youtube w/ his contact info and is probably sitting on stash of scarce replacement parts.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As far as I know capacitors for the Krell's are not a problem. And as the old Krell KSA are some of the most cloned circuits in the net, there is plenty of information on where to locate components for them. The main problem seems you should avoid fake re-labeled components. What are the caps and transistors you can not get?

Keith UK

Apr 9, 2013
Many thanks for all the replies. I took a look at the guys on Youtube and that would mean a round trip for them both to the USA which wont come cheap never mind the cost of the repair. I'm also mindful that someone mentioned quite a few of the parts being scarce and am now wondering whether its worthwhile having the repair done at all. As I have no guarantee of something else not going pop when and if I get them repaired.

Maybe I should just cut my losses and starting looking for an alternative pair of monoblocks? Although I'm not sure where I would start after these :(

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think you missed something. You said some of the parts are as rare as hen's teeth. Do you know that you need caps and transistors or are you guessing? If you know that you need caps and transistors, have you asked Krell if they can supply them? If you can source the parts from the U.S. and have a competent tech where you live, why in the world would you ship the amps over here? First things first:

1. Take the amps to a good tech where you live and have him make a list of the parts you need for repair that he can't obtain.
2. Contact Krell and see if they will supply the parts you need.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Many thanks for all the replies. I took a look at the guys on Youtube and that would mean a round trip for them both to the USA which wont come cheap never mind the cost of the repair. I'm also mindful that someone mentioned quite a few of the parts being scarce and am now wondering whether its worthwhile having the repair done at all. As I have no guarantee of something else not going pop when and if I get them repaired.

Maybe I should just cut my losses and starting looking for an alternative pair of monoblocks? Although I'm not sure where I would start after these :(

If you have not spoken with Pedro at Absolute Sounds, he is extremely knowledgeable. There are also local audiotechs who are excellent.

Cabledyne

May 14, 2013
www.cabledyne.com
I owned a KSA-50 (Serial #5) that I bought from Dan in 1982 at the LVCES. The output transistors failed in 1990. I replaced the Motorola units with RCAs. As far a other parts, these were off the shelf. The power supply caps need not be matched, IMO. You should be able to obtain all parts from the larger parts houses.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing