Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: My Sonic Labs Gold Signature VS. Air Tight Supreme

Thank you for all of the kind comments. I was very fortunate that a good friend in Europe was interested in selling his Signature Gold and suggested that I compare it to my Supreme. He said, "Take as long as you like, and sell the one you don't like as much on Audiogon when you are through." Little did either of us know that I would end up keeping them both.

Big Al, unfortunately, for now I will have to be satisfied with listening to the John Barry's soundtrack. A third gold cartridge would be over the top. I have heard the Goldfinger sound superb on a Basis Debut at my local dealer.

Sunnyboy, my camera is an old Nikon D50 digital SLR with a Nikkor 28-80 mm lens. The final close up of the Supreme was taken with my iPhone looking through the lighted magnifying glass that came with my MINT protractor. Digital cameras and USB microscopes sure make it a lot easier to see what is going on at this tiny scale.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor Member Mark Jones's Avatar
    Just this last week I heard the My Sonic Labs cartridge for the first time. Up until a few days ago it was a complete unknown to me. As soon as stylus hit the groove I knew there was something special about it. A wonderful cartridge, congrats Peter.
    Audio by Mark Jones

Representing:

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Allnic, Audeze, AudioDesk, Auralic, Aurender, Aurorasound, EAR, Ikeda, Kimber, Kronos, Magico, PS Audio, Rogue Audio, SME, Tenor, Tannoy and some other nice stuff.

Good friends with Bryston

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

Has anyone used any of these two cartridges with the Schroder LT tonearm? Impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Jones View Post
    Just this last week I heard the My Sonic Labs cartridge for the first time. Up until a few days ago it was a complete unknown to me. As soon as stylus hit the groove I knew there was something special about it. A wonderful cartridge, congrats Peter.
    Thank you Mark. I am really enjoying it.
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

This is EXCELLENT!

Peter... Do you have any Imput of how the Supreme works with the VPI 12" 3d Arm?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roydrage View Post
    This is EXCELLENT!

Peter... Do you have any Imput of how the Supreme works with the VPI 12" 3d Arm?

Thanks.
    Thanks Roydrage. No, I have only had SME arms in my system. There is a special relationship between the Supreme and the SME V and V-12 arms because the cartridge was developed in part on those arms. At least, that is what I read somewhere. The 12 gram weight is perfect for the V-12 because it allows the counterweight to be positioned very close to the pivot point if using all three extra ballast weights.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Thanks Roydrage. No, I have only had SME arms in my system. There is a special relationship between the Supreme and the SME V and V-12 arms because the cartridge was developed in part on those arms. At least, that is what I read somewhere. The 12 gram weight is perfect for the V-12 because it allows the counterweight to be positioned very close to the pivot point if using all three extra ballast weights.
    Ahh I see... I have it on good authority that the Supreme would match my tastes, but no imput on the combination with my arm... And after all, that is what you are listening to.

JA said might not work well with UniPivots, and that is my Fear. Harry loves his ATLAs, but a little to analytical for my tastes, a little cold.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roydrage View Post
    Ahh I see... I have it on good authority that the Supreme would match my tastes, but no imput on the combination with my arm... And after all, that is what you are listening to.

JA said might not work well with UniPivots, and that is my Fear. Harry loves his ATLAs, but a little to analytical for my tastes, a little cold.

Thanks!
    Robert Harley uses an AirTight Supreme as his reference and I think his arm, an upper end Basis, is a uni-pivot. You might want to research that and try to contact him.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Robert Harley uses an AirTight Supreme as his reference and I think his arm, an upper end Basis, is a uni-pivot. You might want to research that and try to contact him.
    Yes Peter... I'm aware Robert loves this cartridge, and I do respect his ears... I also knew about him using the Basis table & arm, BUT did not know the Basis arm was a UniPivot. Thank you
    For that information.

I'm using an Older Benz LP, (The 1st Rendition), and I fear that not only is it getting a little long in the tooth, but the technology has improved leaps & bounds since it's introduction, & I
    fear It is limiting the potential of my VPI Classic Direct Drive & 3d arm, which is already blowing my mind. I've had many heavy hitter tables... But this thing is in another league. Almost as if
    you switched to a different medium. All of the things I heard that I now know are associated with Records, are gone, and the Communication that I'm getting from the Artist is uncanny.

I've never introduced anything into my system that gave me the feeling, that I was not listening to Instruments, But to the people playing them as completely as this...

Thanks,

Tony

The Basis arms are not a true unipivot. They have a secondary bearing that stabilizes them.

Not sure how heavy the Air Tight PC-1 Supreme is but I found that VPI arms do better with heavy body carts. I think they help damp the VPI arms bit more than lighter carts. Which I think they need. Not referring to the 3D printed arms though. I have not heard one of those yet.
    Last edited by audioarcher; 11-23-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Additional info

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast