My Sonic Labs Gold Signature VS. Air Tight Supreme

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you for all of the kind comments. I was very fortunate that a good friend in Europe was interested in selling his Signature Gold and suggested that I compare it to my Supreme. He said, "Take as long as you like, and sell the one you don't like as much on Audiogon when you are through." Little did either of us know that I would end up keeping them both.

Big Al, unfortunately, for now I will have to be satisfied with listening to the John Barry's soundtrack. A third gold cartridge would be over the top. I have heard the Goldfinger sound superb on a Basis Debut at my local dealer.

Sunnyboy, my camera is an old Nikon D50 digital SLR with a Nikkor 28-80 mm lens. The final close up of the Supreme was taken with my iPhone looking through the lighted magnifying glass that came with my MINT protractor. Digital cameras and USB microscopes sure make it a lot easier to see what is going on at this tiny scale.

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
Just this last week I heard the My Sonic Labs cartridge for the first time. Up until a few days ago it was a complete unknown to me. As soon as stylus hit the groove I knew there was something special about it. A wonderful cartridge, congrats Peter.

Roydrage

Mar 25, 2014
This is EXCELLENT!

Peter... Do you have any Imput of how the Supreme works with the VPI 12" 3d Arm?

Thanks.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This is EXCELLENT!

Peter... Do you have any Imput of how the Supreme works with the VPI 12" 3d Arm?

Thanks.

Thanks Roydrage. No, I have only had SME arms in my system. There is a special relationship between the Supreme and the SME V and V-12 arms because the cartridge was developed in part on those arms. At least, that is what I read somewhere. The 12 gram weight is perfect for the V-12 because it allows the counterweight to be positioned very close to the pivot point if using all three extra ballast weights.

Roydrage

Mar 25, 2014
Thanks Roydrage. No, I have only had SME arms in my system. There is a special relationship between the Supreme and the SME V and V-12 arms because the cartridge was developed in part on those arms. At least, that is what I read somewhere. The 12 gram weight is perfect for the V-12 because it allows the counterweight to be positioned very close to the pivot point if using all three extra ballast weights.

Ahh I see... I have it on good authority that the Supreme would match my tastes, but no imput on the combination with my arm... And after all, that is what you are listening to.

JA said might not work well with UniPivots, and that is my Fear. Harry loves his ATLAs, but a little to analytical for my tastes, a little cold.

Thanks!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ahh I see... I have it on good authority that the Supreme would match my tastes, but no imput on the combination with my arm... And after all, that is what you are listening to.

JA said might not work well with UniPivots, and that is my Fear. Harry loves his ATLAs, but a little to analytical for my tastes, a little cold.

Thanks!

Robert Harley uses an AirTight Supreme as his reference and I think his arm, an upper end Basis, is a uni-pivot. You might want to research that and try to contact him.

Roydrage

Mar 25, 2014
Robert Harley uses an AirTight Supreme as his reference and I think his arm, an upper end Basis, is a uni-pivot. You might want to research that and try to contact him.

Yes Peter... I'm aware Robert loves this cartridge, and I do respect his ears... I also knew about him using the Basis table & arm, BUT did not know the Basis arm was a UniPivot. Thank you
For that information.

I'm using an Older Benz LP, (The 1st Rendition), and I fear that not only is it getting a little long in the tooth, but the technology has improved leaps & bounds since it's introduction, & I
fear It is limiting the potential of my VPI Classic Direct Drive & 3d arm, which is already blowing my mind. I've had many heavy hitter tables... But this thing is in another league. Almost as if
you switched to a different medium. All of the things I heard that I now know are associated with Records, are gone, and the Communication that I'm getting from the Artist is uncanny.

I've never introduced anything into my system that gave me the feeling, that I was not listening to Instruments, But to the people playing them as completely as this...

Thanks,

Tony

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The Basis arms are not a true unipivot. They have a secondary bearing that stabilizes them.

Not sure how heavy the Air Tight PC-1 Supreme is but I found that VPI arms do better with heavy body carts. I think they help damp the VPI arms bit more than lighter carts. Which I think they need. Not referring to the 3D printed arms though. I have not heard one of those yet.

Last edited:

Roydrage

Mar 25, 2014
The Supreme weighs 12 grams. Fremer also really likes the VPI Direct Drive table and 3D arm, as does Myles Astor. Perhaps you can contact them for advice about cartridges.

Chatted with Myles here... He loves the ATLAS... And Of Course So does Fremer... He loves Thin & Bright always. I am diametrically opposed... :D

I favor Warmth & Naturalness always.

Thanks Peter!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I've heard the Etna briefly in my system, and would not say it's a warm cart. Pretty neutral. If you can swing it you may want to try a stone body Koetsu. Or wood body if you like it real warm. Of course if you can get a Benz LPS that may work as well.

Roydrage

Mar 25, 2014
I've heard the Etna briefly in my system, and would not say it's a warm cart. Pretty neutral. If you can swing it you may want to try a stone body Koetsu. Or wood body if you like it real warm. Of course if you can get a Benz LPS that may work as well.

AA, Peter...

Yes you are right, but I fear the Lyra sound is still present, although I know it's their warmest Cart, also it's not their best in terms of other parameters. I think the Supreme is the best of both worlds, and there is no question
to me that it's what I want sonically... there is only the question of compatibilty with my Arm. It is in the Top tier of cartridges right now, and the 3d is gaining more and more in popularity, especially with the recent price break.

There's got to be someone out there who has tried or is using the combination.

As far as the Koetsu... I have a Rosewood Signiture, and while I love it... It's just doesn't have enough pop to do Rock. Great for Classical... But your not going to get the muscial point of Queen Fat bottom girls, let's say.
PLUS, the output is a little to low, where tube noise becomes a problem in my system.

Thanks!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
AA, Peter...

Yes you are right, but I fear the Lyra sound is still present, although I know it's their warmest Cart, also it's not their best in terms of other parameters. I think the Supreme is the best of both worlds, and there is no question
to me that it's what I want sonically... there is only the question of compatibilty with my Arm. It is in the Top tier of cartridges right now, and the 3d is gaining more and more in popularity, especially with the recent price break.

There's got to be someone out there who has tried or is using the combination.

As far as the Koetsu... I have a Rosewood Signiture, and while I love it... It's just doesn't have enough pop to do Rock. Great for Classical... But your not going to get the muscial point of Queen Fat bottom girls, let's say.
PLUS, the output is a little to low, where tube noise becomes a problem in my system.

Thanks!

Perhaps you are over thinking it? I think the Air Tight would work fine. It does not appear to be a miss match compliance wise. It's about as heavy as the Benz LP as well.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
But your not going to get the muscial point of Queen Fat bottom girls, let's say.

Thanks!

My Koetsu kicks some Fat Bottom Girls A$$ to the curb!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing