Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My Sonic Labs Gold Signature VS. Air Tight Supreme

My Sonic Labs Gold Signature VS. Air Tight Supreme

Has anyone directly compared these two cartridges? I'm curious because they are designed by the same gentleman and look very similar.
    Last edited by PeterA; 08-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Has anyone directly compared these two cartridges? I'm curious because they are designed by the same gentleman and look very similar.
    I may soon be able to answer my own question:

Name:  photo 6.jpg
Views: 2252
Size:  498.3 KB

Name:  frame1 2.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  frame9.jpg
Views: 2131
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  frame8 2.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  182.2 KB
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Which one has the Gyger stylus (bottom picture) on the boron cantilever? That's the one I would pick
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    Which one has the Gyger stylus (bottom picture) on the boron cantilever? That's the one I would pick
    That's my current AirTight Supreme in the bottom photo. The cantilever on the MSL Sig Gold is Duraluminum? and it is hollow. I've been told they sound quite different, but not how they do. I will find out over the Summer. I also just took deliver of a VDH Colibri with Platinum coils. That is a cat with different stripes. It should be an interesting time.

Yeah let us know; I am not really thrilled with VDH's build quality, though the Colibri does sound really alive
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    That's my current AirTight Supreme in the bottom photo. The cantilever on the MSL Sig Gold is Duraluminum? and it is hollow. I've been told they sound quite different, but not how they do. I will find out over the Summer. I also just took deliver of a VDH Colibri with Platinum coils. That is a cat with different stripes. It should be an interesting time.
    Hi Peter, sounds like some fun up in Boston over the summer. I'll be very curious to read about your experiences...I am hoping I can get up to Boston over the summer...will let you know...would love to hear your system again...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Preamp: Robert Koda K10
    Amp: Nagra HD Amps
    Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

Thanks John. You know you are always welcome to visit. These are the times I wish SME made a table big enough to support multiple arms.

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    Why is that, Ack? What is it about a boron cantilever and a Gyger stylus that you prefer?

Stiffness and lightness of the boron plus covalent bonds at the molecular level similar to carbon; and the superior design of the stylus very closely matching the cutting head unlike any other.

BTW, I believe there are only two major manufacturers of styli left, in Japan; I had their web sites bookmarked but can't find them; will follow up if I do
    System link WBF

The reason I ask is because I have a friend who was involved with cartridge testing for a major manufacturer, and they gave him identical cartridges with different stylii shapes and cantilever materials (boron, aluminum, diamond, sapphire, ruby), and he told me they all sounded different. The thing was, when the windings and other internals changed, the cantilevers and various stylii responded differently, and it then became very difficult to predict how one particular combination would sound. They decided that the only way to proceed was by continuing to do extensive listening tests and settle on particular combinations.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast