quietest dishwasher for 2013

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Our Miele is quiet. You have to be standing close to it in the kitchen to know that it is on when it goes through one of its noise cycles. Over five years of seamless operation. It was not an expensive model, and just from perusing opinions, it does seem like the most expensive models of appliances seem to get the most complaints.

I guess the ultra expensive appliances are like British cars (and maybe expensive audio!): if you can afford the car, you should be able to afford the chauffer to fix it or you shouldn't buy it.
Which is the reason the Brits never entered the computer hardware market- they couldn't figure out how to make it leak oil.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
my Miele has no controls on the face only on the top of the door which when closed is not visible

Right, i think that became more common, i seem to remember when we bought the one in NY back in 2006-07, there were far fewer units of that style. The Swedish one i liked was an Asko, but, as mentioned, the motor died and if the company hadn't stood behind it after the warranty period, i think it was a 2 grand part.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'd also be curious to know if anybody uses a commercial unit in a residence- I like the idea of something that only has to run for a couple minutes. And they are built for abuse. I gather that it may be overkill and may be more complicated to install and maintain (in addition to the possibilty of not having a drying cycle- you see bartenders hand drying glasses, I assume for that reason).
We tend to take good care of our appliances, I prewash all the dishes and utensils before putting them into the dishwasher, so no food crud is processed in them. I also keep the unit immaculately clean, inside and out- a bit OCD, but where food and surfaces are concerned, I'm pretty compulsive.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My wife always gives me a hard time about how much I clean the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher. Having spent the formative years of my youth washing dishes in restaurants in order to make some cash, I know what a dishwasher is going to remove and what it won't, and what it will bake on the dishes during the dry cycle. My wife thinks the dishwasher is a combination dishwasher/garbage disposal, but I know better.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Miele says not to clean them before you put them in the dish washer

And why in the world would they say that? In order to brag about how great the dishwasher is?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm not much of a cook (my wife is) but I actually like 'clean up.' (part of my compulsive nature). When we re-did the kitchen in NY, I installed a commercial 'sprayer' and had a huge, unpartitioned sink made, so i could crank through washing big pots and pans and pre-wash the stuff that goes into the d/w.
Here's a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 157

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm not much of a cook (my wife is) but I actually like 'clean up.' (part of my compulsive nature). When we re-did the kitchen in NY, I installed a commercial 'sprayer' and had a huge, unpartitioned sink made, so i could crank through washing big pots and pans and pre-wash the stuff that goes into the d/w.
Here's a pic.

Beautiful kitchen. Your commercial sprayer brings back some memories of my youth-not pleasant memories mind you, but memories nonetheless.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
And why in the world would they say that? In order to brag about how great the dishwasher is?

That is commonly found in the users manuals of many brands. The reason is that dishwashing detergents will actually etch china and glasses when there is nothing much to clean. We leave all greasy plates, etc. with the crud on. The exception is starchy items because there is no formula made for a dishwasher that will effectively remove all starch. That would be deposits made by potatoes, noodles, etc.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I wouldn't put china in a dishwasher anyway.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I wouldn't put china in a dishwasher anyway.

You know that renegade maid who goes around the world breaking cantilevers? She would do it in a heartbeat! :D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have heard of the renegade maid. Lots of guys have had their cantilevers snapped off by her. It's never their carelessness, it's always the damn maid's fault.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Mine broke my Elvis cup. I'll never forgive her for that.
Interesting about the etching. I hand wash the good stuff, the crystal, the real silverware, etc.
I find it cathartic. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but it is a fair trade-off. She does the cooking, I do the clean-up.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You should try washing dishes in a busy restaurant that has no dishwasher-just a 3 compartment sink and you wash everything by hand. My next door neighbors in Las Vegas owned a very busy, very popular restaurant called Chicago Joe's. The family actually moved from Chicago to Las Vegas to open up the restaurant. I was friends with their son who was around my same age. One night I get a phone call from my friend telling me their dishwasher couldn't take the pressure and he opened up the window in the kitchen next to the sink and jumped out and left them with obviously no warning. I went in and washed dishes for them to bail them out. It wasn't the last time either.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have heard of the renegade maid. Lots of guys have had their cantilevers snapped off by her. It's never their carelessness, it's always the damn maid's fault.

Maybe the audiophiles are just wearing maid's outfits and dusters when they do it.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I own a newer Bosch , In my case noise level can be a bit louder on how you arrange your dishes, wine glasses , cups.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
noisy complaining teenager. Packing the dishwasher is too hard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing