quietest dishwasher for 2013

debcoo

Apr 7, 2013
looking to find the quietest dishwasher available.

we have had a bosch for the past 8 years and have never been
happy with it. it was never quiet - cleaned ok but has long cycles.

just looking for the quietest one available.

the brands seem to vary - one person gets a bosch (like a friend of mine)
and loves it (he says they do NOT hear it at all) and
another person (Me - about the same time) and is not thrilled with it.

Help!

Deb

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I don't know about now, but when I was an appliance rep the Miele was the quietest dishwasher made. If nothing else, Miele has a thirty year headstart in that department. By the way, long cycles are the norm these days because of water usage reduction and new energy consumption standards. Also, most are self-heating, or have assist measures for that, which further extend cycle times. 90+ minute wash times are to be expected in most cases.

Bosch claims in their ads that they have the quietest one, so maybe you got a bad one? My friend has one, and his is dead quiet. Go figure.

I just remembered...If you do not use the dishwasher for a couple of weeks, any dishwasher, you should pour around around a quart of water inside it, and wait a few minutes before you use it again. If you don't, and the ceramic pump seal is dry, the seal will become scratched on its face. That may cause dishwasher failure, but dishwasher noise due to an imperfect seal is a more common result. Could that have happened at some point early on in the dishwasher's life?

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Last edited:

debcoo

Apr 7, 2013
Gary,
a dishwasher for over $5000 should not need anything, repairs included!
maybe I CAN stand some noise.

Moisn, I have never done this with a dishwasher but noticed the noise
from the beginning.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Gary,
a dishwasher for over $5000 should not need anything, repairs included!

Unfortunately, people say the same thing about $200,000 cars, $50,000 amplifiers, etc. but these are realities.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Unfortunately, people say the same thing about $200,000 cars, $50,000 amplifiers, etc. but these are realities.

Gary,

I think you just inadvertently made an argument in favor of Nissan Sentras and Hafler DH200s. Say it isn't so! :D :D :D

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hafler DH-200 and DH-220 are blue collar amps. They show up every day, they work hard; but at the end of the day, they won't be getting promoted into management.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We had a 10 year old Bosch that we replaced with Miele. The Bosch was quieter. We then bought two more Miele for our vacation house. One of them is the highest end one they made a couple of years ago with auto door open and such. It too is noisier than our Bosch. Mind you these are relative statements but I personally do not buy that Miele is the quietest unless Bosch has become more noisy too as of late.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
FWIW, I installed a Bosch in my parent's house a few years ago. While I'm sure it wasn't the top of the line model, they really like it and you don't even know it's running most of the time.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
We have had an AEG model for quite a few years in the house and it is pretty quiet, but each of us probably has a different perception of what is acceptable noise level for a dishwasher.
Although seems some have had problems with AEG.

Cheers
Orb

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Gary,

I think you just inadvertently made an argument in favor of Nissan Sentras and Hafler DH200s. Say it isn't so! :D :D :D

I didn't mean to do that. . . . BUT, in a recent J D Power survey, Chevrolet owners had fewer complaints about their cars than Rolls Royce owners.

I should have qualified my comments on the Miele dishwashers. In our NYC apartment, we have a Miele-NOT the $5500 one, and on Long Island, we have the top of the line KitchenAid in the house. The Miele is about four years old and has been repaired twice. The KitchenAid is about ten and has never needed a repair. You can throw the dishes into the Miele helter skelter and everything comes out clean (after an almost 120 minute wash cycle) and the KitchenAid will do very well if everything is lined up in the holders, but not as well as the Miele.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Mine is 100% noiseless. ...Don't have any, and don't want any. :b

Cheers,
Bob

I am sure that the sound of running water in your sink doing dishes by hand is louder than just about any dishwasher.

One of my friends uses TWO dishwashers in his kitchen. He has a "clean" dishwasher and a "dirty" dishwasher. He has lots of parties so two dishwashers come in handy for him and his wife, but if it isn't necessary, he doesn't always put the clean dishes back in the cabinet. He just rotates between dishwashers! He has two Bosches.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Yeah, but doing dishes by hand, among family and friends, is a much more enjoyable experience. :b

Not as enjoyable as sitting in the living room with them doing anything besides washing dishes!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
One thing I have found is that the bottom plate, underneath the door itself has to be secured properly. Key word, properly. If it is not tight, as close to the floor substrate as possible or if it has any gaps whatsoever? It doesn't matter what you pay for said dishwasher. It's gonna be loud IME.

Tom

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Our Miele is quiet. You have to be standing close to it in the kitchen to know that it is on when it goes through one of its noise cycles. Over five years of seamless operation. It was not an expensive model, and just from perusing opinions, it does seem like the most expensive models of appliances seem to get the most complaints.

I guess the ultra expensive appliances are like British cars (and maybe expensive audio!): if you can afford the car, you should be able to afford the chauffer to fix it or you shouldn't buy it.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I don't particularly like the 'build' quality of the Miele. I think the one we currently have in NY is a Bosch, which we bought around 2006 or 7, for the simple reason that at the time, it was one of the few that had no controls on the face. It works fine and is quiet, but is also not built to bank vault standards. In our previous house, we had one from Sweden that was extremely expensive, and dead quiet. The motor conked out about a week after the warranty period, and I raised hell about it, so they replaced it without a parts charge. My impression is that the KitchenAids are still pretty good. I'll probably be in the market for a new one for Austin, since we tend to replace any existing dishwasher with a new one when we buy a place.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing